What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Much as I thought Gandolfini was good in it, you're right, his scenes didn't add that much. Bit of a waste of the mans time, really. Could have done more with Liotta as well as you say.

I liked it but it just an incomplete feel about it. The Wikipedia page says the original edit was 2.5hours long, and I think too much was removed.

It is a very short film. My immediate thought after seeing it was "I can't wait for the Director's Cut".

Liberal Arts

Yeah I don't like Ted in HIMYM, so it was a bit unfortunate that Josh Radnor essentially plays Ted. The ending is also quite poor and doesn't really fit in with the rest of the film.

The good points though. I did enjoy it, it's charming, touching and, at times, upbeat. The humour reminds me of Lost In Translation in that it's not laugh out loud funny but you do find yourself smiling and giving a quiet laugh every few scenes. It's funny because it has a sort or 'real' feel to it, the characters ineract in a way which seems believable and convincing

Elizabeth Olsen is very good. She was terrific in Martha Marcy May Marlene and hopefully she can continue the good work. It helps that she's a stunner as well :wub: Richard Jenkins, Allison Janney and Zac Efron are also highlights.

It does lose it's way near the end and the humour is probably a bit too pretentious at times but I enjoyed this. Some people won't like the sometimes over-sentimental, sometimes cheesy, and sometimes a bit too saccharine story but I can be a sucker for these type of films. It's worth a shot.

6.5 - 7/10

Seen this last night and my thoughts were almost exactly the same for this bit, I dont think the humour was pretentious, just more witty than out and funny. I dont think it's cheesey or saccharine either, it has such a depressing angle to it that makes it so much more than your typical romantic comedy.

The ending was a bit meh, I get why it was done that way but it felt a bit unfinished, I think more time could have been given to that section of it to make it more satisfying

I'd say if you liked things like Lost In Translation or Swingers you'd enjoy this, but if Anchorman or Hangover is more your thing maybe give it a miss

Killing Them Softly

James Gandolfini is superb in it, but not given enough screen time. Brad Pitt seemed to replaying his Fight Club character but I've no problem with that.

What I did have a problem with was the ending. It just kind of...stopped.

The assassination scenes were superbly done, however.

I've just watched Dave Chappelle's 60 minute version, the assassination scenes in that version are much better - http://www.putlocker...A64DEA698D89DB# wink.gif

Resident Evil:Retribution

It was alright. Better than the last two but probably not better than the first two. Apart from the opening scene, the typical Paul WS Anderson scenes (slow motion, big action sequences) were kept to a minimum. As with most of the Resi films, it looks pretty spectacular and the action scenes in real time were pretty good.

Because I'm a big fan of the games, there was a few of the personnel I had a problem with;

Barry Burton being on Wesker's strike team makes sense, he was there in the first game. Leon has never encountered Wesker so his involvement in Wesker's strike time is pretty weird, it's just like he's been shoehorned into the film just to get another face from the games in. It'd make much more sense to have had Leon be the guy they found in the prison(it was Chris) and then have Chris be on Wesker's strike team in this film since he, Jill and Barry were with Wesker in the first game.

Weird to not see Chris or Claire make an appearance in this one.

It's alright but the ending certainly sets up for another film, which is pish. I wish they'd just end the franchise.

The 3D was pish as well.

5.5/10

Resident Evil:Retribution

It was alright. Better than the last two but probably not better than the first two. Apart from the opening scene, the typical Paul WS Anderson scenes (slow motion, big action sequences) were kept to a minimum. As with most of the Resi films, it looks pretty spectacular and the action scenes in real time were pretty good.

Because I'm a big fan of the games, there was a few of the personnel I had a problem with;

Barry Burton being on Wesker's strike team makes sense, he was there in the first game. Leon has never encountered Wesker so his involvement in Wesker's strike time is pretty weird, it's just like he's been shoehorned into the film just to get another face from the games in. It'd make much more sense to have had Leon be the guy they found in the prison(it was Chris) and then have Chris be on Wesker's strike team in this film since he, Jill and Barry were with Wesker in the first game.

Weird to not see Chris or Claire make an appearance in this one.

It's alright but the ending certainly sets up for another film, which is pish. I wish they'd just end the franchise.

The 3D was pish as well.

5.5/10

honestly dont know where the money comes from to keep churning these films out, the first 1 was the only decent one and its gone rapidly down since

honestly dont know where the money comes from to keep churning these films out, the first 1 was the only decent one and its gone rapidly down since

These films are insanely profitable and, as far as Hollywood films go, quite cheap to make.

I've been to see each in the cinema and bought the dvds and I'm not even a fan boy of the games. I really like the movies, and the soundtracks are always excellent (for the kind of movie it is).

Break down of their budgets/box office (stolen shamelessly from Wikipedia

Resident Evil

Budget$33,000,000

Box office$102,441,078

Resident Evil: Apocalypse

Budget$45 million

Box office$129,394,835

Resident Evil: Extinction

Budget$45,000,000

Box office$147,717,833

Resident Evil: Afterlife

Budget$60 million

Box office$296,221,663

If anything, they're actually getting more profitable as the series is going on, so they'll keep churning them out as long as the market stays strong on them. Look at the most recent one compared to the first - they've effectively doubled the budget from the first film to treble their box office takings!

Edited by Kyle

The Fog of War. As part of my university course, I had to sit through two hours of Robert McNamara explaining the rationale for the actions he recommended during the Vietnam war. That either sounds turgid or fascinating. For me it was the latter.

These films are insanely profitable and, as far as Hollywood films go, quite cheap to make.

I've been to see each in the cinema and bought the dvds and I'm not even a fan boy of the games. I really like the movies, and the soundtracks are always excellent (for the kind of movie it is).

Resident Evil

Budget$33,000,000

Box office$102,441,078

Budget$45 million

Box office$129,394,835

Budget$45,000,000

Box office$147,717,833

Budget$60 million

Box office$296,221,663

If anything, they're actually getting more profitable as the series is going on, so they'll keep churning them out as long as the market stays strong on them. Look at the most recent one compared to the first - they've effectively doubled the budget from the first film to treble their box office takings!

Wonder if it's a case of people thinking "this cannot possibly be as poor as the last one was, might as well go see it dry.gif

What I dont understand is why they didnt just rip the stories for the first 4 films from RE 1-3 and Code Veronica games, they were far better than the film storylines.

Resident Evil

Budget$33,000,000

Box office$102,441,078

Budget$45 million

Box office$129,394,835

Budget$45,000,000

Box office$147,717,833

Budget$60 million

Box office$296,221,663

Afterlife was the first 3D film so that explains some of the massive improvement.

Wonder if it's a case of people thinking "this cannot possibly be as poor as the last one was, might as well go see it dry.gif

What I dont understand is why they didnt just rip the stories for the first 4 films from RE 1-3 and Code Veronica games, they were far better than the film storylines.

Possibly. I really enjoyed the first two. Would've went and seen the third one on the back of the first two, it was alright but not as good as the first two. Don't know if I saw the fourth in the cinema but it was awful. I only went to see this one because I'd heard it was better than the last couple.

I would totally go to see those films. The only problem is that the characters don't remain the same. I haven't played 3 or CV but 1 is Chris and Jill in the mansion with Wesker. 2 is Leon and Claire in the police station with Dr Birkin as the villain.

I'm not sure the games translate directly into films. I mean, all the puzzle shit would look ridiculous in a film! laugh.gif

Afterlife was the first 3D film so that explains some of the massive improvement.

Possibly. I really enjoyed the first two. Would've went and seen the third one on the back of the first two, it was alright but not as good as the first two. Don't know if I saw the fourth in the cinema but it was awful. I only went to see this one because I'd heard it was better than the last couple.

I would totally go to see those films. The only problem is that the characters don't remain the same. I haven't played 3 or CV but 1 is Chris and Jill in the mansion with Wesker. 2 is Leon and Claire in the police station with Dr Birkin as the villain.

I'm not sure the games translate directly into films. I mean, all the puzzle shit would look ridiculous in a film! laugh.gif

230 million dollar profit isn't all down to it being a 3d film though - whether it's increased marketing, good timing (I seem to remember going to see the last one near halloween too?), increased popularity or sheer dumb luck (or a combination of all of those factors), Afterlife did do very well, the best in the series statistically. I note the most recent one, which has a 65 million dollar budget, has broken the 200 million barrier already too. I'd expect a couple more on the back of this one too, considering there still seems to be significant profits to be made from them and the games seem to be as popular as ever.

230 million dollar profit isn't all down to it being a 3d film though - whether it's increased marketing, good timing (I seem to remember going to see the last one near halloween too?), increased popularity or sheer dumb luck (or a combination of all of those factors), Afterlife did do very well, the best in the series statistically. I note the most recent one, which has a 65 million dollar budget, has broken the 200 million barrier already too. I'd expect a couple more on the back of this one too, considering there still seems to be significant profits to be made from them and the games seem to be as popular as ever.

Oh no doubt. It was something that changed between the 3rd and 4th. Certainly it would account for some of it.

Yeah, they'll keep making them (the ending of this one sets up another one at least) as long as there's profits to be made.

The Cold Light of Day - 6/10

Was alright I suppose. Bruce Willis had quite a small role considering they stuck him on the front cover with whoever the main character was. Can think of worse ways to spend a night but I wouldn't watch it again.

Sinister - 8/10. I was dreading this film before I even went in as I knew I would be thinking about it for days to come which means a shite sleep. Very freaky, the music especially set up the scenes of certain things perfectly. I will say It was quite a slow build up and actually focuses a lot of the film on Ethan Hawke and his slowly growing obsession on making this case into a hit book. And also it is quite easy to guess what is going to happen next but doesnt take away from the film I thought.

Contraband - 7/10. Alright for what it was, a decent wee action flick.

Edited by 11thHour

Watched Unforgiven for the umpteenth time. I just love it, Eastwood plays both sides of his character very well. I'm on a bit of a western kick at the moment, watched Pale Rider yesterday too which is another favourite of mine.

Easy 10/10 right there. Absolute classic. Not a man that likes his westerns, but that does it for me.

Taken 2 ( 2012 )

You know what you're getting, don't you? That's not to say that it isn't a lot of fun. It helps having Liam Neeson in the starring role. Even just wee facial expressions help things along. He manages to raise a few laughs in the not so serious moments of the movie and sometimes action guys like this sort of lack that sympathetic side. Then it goes tits up and it's all fun from there.

7/10

From Dusk Til Dawn

Fucking brilliant, the effects are shit, the majority of the actings shit, the story is shit if you think about it. But it'd brilliant for some reason biggrin.gif

watched it the other night, still a great film to watch

Prometheus - 5/10

Was looking forward to this but was left a little dissapointed. Bit of a predictable storyline, too similar to the original Alien films and I know it's supposed to be a 'prequel' but thought they could have changed it up a wee bit.

Only highlight for me was Charlize Theron in a tight fitting spacesuit.