What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Straight On Till Morning - 6.5/10

A quite atypical Hammer film. Rita Tushingham is the dowdy lead, a Liverpudlian lass who's come down to that London to find a man and get up the stick. It's all a bit selfish and rough and tumble for her, she's too plain in amongst the hotties to get a look in from anyone. She engineers meeting a guy (Shane Briant) she develops an infatuation with and it all gets very odd.

The direction is wild and in the latter part the suspense is effective. Briant's character's oddness seems like it might've come from a place of spite. A beautiful rich young man who doesn't need to work and can treat people like shit with impunity and seems to be able to get away with anything.

Edited by Christophe

I hold Mark Millar in such high regard that I'm struggling to argue with it! sad.gif Who penned the comic? Mark Millar didn't write Days of Future Past, Chris Claremont did. He (Claremont) and Frank Miller wrote the book that The Wolverine is being loosely based on, as well.

I don't really mind. I can't stand James Marsden so the focus wasn't on him. Cyclops is the only character that could properly carry the X-Men films and take the focus, the way Wolverine did.

Na not for Days of future passsed, meant the one for the dedicated new Wolverine film based in Japan

The problem is that most the focus went on Wolverine and dont get me wrong Jackman has done a good job but its kinda turning into Wolverine and the Xmen. Could of done without him in Days of Future past give the other characters room to breathe and develop

Django Unchained - 8.5/10.

Really enjoyed this but felt it fell just a little short of being absolutely brilliant. It was a lot funnier than I would've imagined with Samuel L. Jackson stealing almost every scene he is in. Jamie Foxx and Leonardo Di Caprio were on top, top form but the two standouts for me were Christoph Waltz and Sammy Jackson.

I sort of agree, it's got a lot of Oscar nominations so I feel I should see it just so I can justifiably say who should win the various Oscars.

But even with a Cineworld Unlimited card I can't be arsed going to see it. Musicals just do absolutely nothing for me.

It's not like Mary Poppins or The Sound Of Music though. There's no happy ending, none of that frivolity and chirpiness. You can't really compare it to other musicals on film. It's just not the same at all.

Despite the singing it doesn't feel like a musical. It's a drama more than anything else. If you have an unlimited card then the worst that happens is you've only wasted a few hours that you probably would have spent doing nothing constructive anyway.

Na not for Days of future passsed, meant the one for the dedicated new Wolverine film based in Japan

The problem is that most the focus went on Wolverine and dont get me wrong Jackman has done a good job but its kinda turning into Wolverine and the Xmen. Could of done without him in Days of Future past give the other characters room to breathe and develop

Ah right, aye it's Frank Miller who (co)wrote that. Mark Millar is involved as some sort of special consultant for FOX's Marvel films.

It did, maybe it's just me that it doesn't bother me. As I've said in one of the other posts, he's their biggest character. It makes sense that he's the primary focus. Depends how they do it but I don't think Wolverine is the main focus of Days of Future Past. If they did that story and didn't have Wolverine then there'd be all sorts of "outrage" from comic book fans and really, you don't want to be pissing them off.

=============

I'll think about seeing Les Mis, probably won't for a week or so though.

I agree with the above sentiments- if you're a film fan you should know not to judge a book by its cover and take a chance on things from time to time rather than writing everything off just because of the genre.

I agree with the above sentiments- if you're a film fan you should know not to judge a book by its cover and take a chance on things from time to time rather than writing everything off just because of the genre.

Absolutely - I saw Life of Pi last night - not overly eager, tbf - and was absolutely blown away by the beauty, yes beauty, of the cinematography. The story is excellent and, when people complain about the ambiguity involved in Pi's recollections, isn't this what we want from a film like this? A story?

For those who say "it's not my style", see it before judging. An easy 8, pushng 8 1/2.

On Les Mis - I'm going to directly contradict what i said above. I have seen it on stage twice (once West End, once local 'cos No.1 Daughter was in it), and it failed my rule-of-thumb for musicals - I didn't come out with any one song running through my head. Puts it on a par with Miss Saigon and Starlight Express in my book. I'll watch it on SKY or DVD, but I can't see me going to the cinema for it. Happy to be proved wrong, mind. It's just - it's a musical and, as a musical it's no Oliver or JCS.

Django Unchained

A courageous, outrageous and vicious film looking at slavery in the old South 150 years ago, and one man's quest for freedom, revenge and then some.

Django's a free man, thanks to being acquired by the meticulously legal bounty hunter and qualified dentist, Dr. King Schultz, made an instant favourite by the genius of Christoph Waltz. But with the privilege of freeing a slave come responsibilities, therefore Schultz feels he must help Django search for his long-lost wife, and form a plan to get her back. They encounter the disgustingly villainous, instantly despicable and brilliantly-named Calvin Candie, who Leonardo Di Caprio portrays absolutely ruthlessly. Not since Scatman Crothers in The Shining have I seen a housekeeper as creepy and fearsome as Samuel L. Jackson's character, Stephen: putting the film under the microscope a little bit, I think Stephen is probably the most interesting character in the film- like Candie he's such a contradiction of himself that it makes everything about him detestable.

The genius of the characters and plot is redoubled in the dialogue of the screenplay; this is Tarantino's best-written film since Pulp Fiction in my opinion, the dialogue sets the mood of every scene perfectly. A great range of moods in there too, some moments are shit-your-pants horrifying, others are pish-your-pants hilarious.

If you like any of Quentin Tarantino's work, I think that qualifies this as a must-see for you. Well-paced and laid out, ingenious set-pieces, in-your-face action and violence that one-ups Kill Bill...there's no denying this is a continuation of the kind of form Tarantino reset with Inglourious Basterds. I'd love to see him make a third film in a row which completely knocks everything he'd done before I.B. off-balance (I've got my fingers crossed for Vietnam), but he said years ago Kill Bill Vol. 3 would likely be his 9th film.

The soundtrack was a hit right from the opening credits, but I did have reservations about the brief uses of hip-hop in a 19th Century film. It threw me off and didn't sit completely right. I also have a bit of gripe which I'll spoilerise:

about the shoot-out after Schultz's and Candie's deaths, and Django's subsequent heroics- I thought we might have had an unhappy ending on the cards at one point. I don't have any problem with them living happily and coolly ever after, but the miraculous manner of his escape and rescue of Broomhilda spoiled it a little bit.

9/10

Stay till the end of the credits.

Seven Psychopaths - Not quite on a par with In Bruges. Felt like it was missing something to really elevate it but I can't put my finger on what exactly. Edit: thinking back, they didn't really flesh out Colin Farrell's character much, so it could well be that - a few more scenes involving Farrell wouldn't have gone amiss. Or it could just be a lack of Woody Harrelson, a guy I always enjoy watching up on the big screen - this, Zombieland, Kingpin, never lets me down. Had a good chuckle at a few moments.6/10.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

I gave you a red when going for the green :(. Sorry.

if "days of future past" include wolverine then fair enough he should be in it obviously, but hopefully they allow other characters to develop their arcs so that we can actually be interested in them also

the good thing about "first class" is that while shaw, xavier and magneto were obviously the main guys, the other x-men and other mutants in shaws team were allowed more freedom and greater roles in the films, whereas in the previous x-men films you kinds got the impression that the likes of storm, cyclops etc were simply "backing" characters to wolverine

hell i still dont understand why they had wolverine declare his love for jean, he barely fucking knew her by the time she supposedly died at the end of x2 :huh:

It's not like Mary Poppins or The Sound Of Music though. There's no happy ending, none of that frivolity and chirpiness. You can't really compare it to other musicals on film. It's just not the same at all.

To be honest I think I can cope with musicals better when it is frivolous. In operas if some guy is singing 'You killed my brother, I will kill you" it sounds far more ridiculous than "you've got to pick a pocket or two" or something. I'd say the one musical I actually quite fancy seeing is The Book of Mormon.

I reckon I'll give this a go against my better judgement though, because I'm on a real movie-watching kick at the moment.

To be honest I think I can cope with musicals better when it is frivolous. In operas if some guy is singing 'You killed my brother, I will kill you" it sounds far more ridiculous than "you've got to pick a pocket or two" or something. I'd say the one musical I actually quite fancy seeing is The Book of Mormon.

I reckon I'll give this a go against my better judgement though, because I'm on a real movie-watching kick at the moment.

I'd recommend putting all pre-conceived ideas out of your head if you go. Even if you don't fancy seeing it as a musical, it's cinematography is excellent and the story itself is easier to follow than other stage musicals and quite compelling. I really hope you're not disappointed by it now we've all built it up, though I don't think you will be!