What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Has anyone else seen The Guest? I really, really liked it but haven't seen anyone else post about it. Solid 8/10 for me. Maybe 9.

I have. There's a decent movie in there but the acting is terrible!

Best bit was the dark haired girl getting pumped and the sight of her in that uniform and those hold ups when she gets killed.

Poor woman :lol:

Not sure I'll ever get over the blowtorch scene, it was genuinely putting me off work today :huh:

...I remember, not that I want to.

Worst part is that, IIRC, that was the only thing that wasn't done to the girl in real life.

Lucy 8.5/10

Solid sci-fi, based on a drug cartel and the idea that we only 10% of our brain capacity, and what would happen if we harnessed more. Had an Olaf Stapeldon/Outer Limits feel to it. Polished but understated, and thankfully devoid of any of the emotion shit that plagued the Fifth Element.

b*****ds/Les Salauds - Parisian returns home after his sister's husband dies, and attempts to find out who perpetrated a vicious sexual assault on his niece.

I'll be honest - I don't have a fucking clue what was going on in this film. It seemed to jump around quite a bit, and both myself and the wife felt quite dim for being unable to follow it. My best interpretation is that it's a French version of Get Carter, if Michael Caine had shrugged a lot and done practically nothing, except shag the bad guy's wife. Entirely possible I missed some brilliance here, but I found it all a little tedious.

Thanks to christophe for the...recommendation, I guess? Didn't notice any actual corn penetration though, only the bloody aftermath :shutup

No trouble old boy! Didn't really get it either but some startling imagery!

The Stepfather - a serial killer posing as a bereaved family man crosses America, hooking up with single mothers in his quest for the perfect family.

It's been a quarter of a century since I saw them, but the originals in this series weren't bad. I vaguely remember them having more of a mystery element, whereas this film lays out the titular character's proclivities in the opening titles, which probably isn't a bad thing at this stage. Our antihero is played by one of the dudes from Nip/Tuck this time around, and he does a decent job of portraying an utter psychopath. The rest of the cast are decent too, including Dr House's ex-wife. The film's fairly entertaining, but there aren't any surprises in the plot; it's an exercise in waiting for everything to inevitably unravel.

Worth a look if there's nothing else on the telly, as there wasn't tonight.

The Riot Club 7/10

Posh twats pretending to be the inbetweeners.

I'm not sure that's what they were going for to be honest. :lol:

Agree with the rating though. It's a decent enough watch, although I think they could've extended the timeline a bit and perhaps been a bit more subtle about where the film was going.

I'm not sure that's what they were going for to be honest. :lol:

Agree with the rating though. It's a decent enough watch, although I think they could've extended the timeline a bit and perhaps been a bit more subtle about where the film was going.

Oh I know for sure it wasn't, it was written by my mate's sister and I've seen the play too. Prefer her play, reckon the film tries to show the beautiful young cream of British acting talent in such an ambivalent light that the play's satire is lost somewhat. Still, enjoyable enough in it's own right.

Snuff Movie - a retired filmmaker returns to make one last film about the terrible slaughter that destroyed his family and friends decades before.

No bones about it, this is a no-budget fantasy about what might have happened if Roman Polanski had lost his mind (in a non-BEASTly way) after his wife's brutal murder at the hands of the Manson family. As such, it's in pretty poor taste, and is a poor movie besides, with a "will this do?" vibe about it. The plot is almost non-existent, with a group of actors (played by actors - OMG META!!!) running around the director's house being snuffed. This isn't helped by weak, half-hearted attempts to provide an artsy note of doubt about whether or not what we're seeing is "real" (clue: it's isn't, because IT'S A FUCKING MOVIE), culminating in an ending that sits on the screen like a flaccid penis in a bored housewife's mouth.

The worst part is that this mess was entirely conceived by Bernard Rose, the respected music video director, who also directed films like Candyman and Immortal Beloved. Apparently he withdrew from the studio system of making movies some time ago to make motion pictures that he personally finds interesting, free from the shackles of base financial considerations. Pretty depressing if this was the kind of thing he had in mind.

Edit: just remembered that the main actress spends half the film in the nuddy, occasionally getting her box munched for no good reason, and there's also a slutty blonde with stupidly fake norks who spends a fair bit of time randomly bonking. So, possibly a classic if approached from a one-handed point of view.

Edited by BigFatTabbyDave

In Order of Disappearance.

The b*****d offspring of the Coen Brothers and Norwegian Noir, I thought this was a cracking revenge thriller cum black comedy.

Some well kent Euro faces in this to keep you busy, Stellan Skarsgard is Nils, the Mr Nice Guy who has to crack heads when his son is found dead of a drug overdose. Bruno Ganz (Downfall) appears an an Armenian drug lord, Birgitte Hjort Sorensen (Borgen) is in it too, but the stand out is Pal Sverre Hagen as the vegetarian psychopath The Count.

8/10

The Guest ( 2014 )

Much talked about thriller. Once again, Adam Wingard makes some knowing nods to the genre of choice, this time the thriller genre, but plays it a lot straighter than he did with the amazing You're Next. The quality of the movie is equally good though, and that's mainly thanks to an amazing title character. Just an all out creepy b*****d, and with charm to burn when he needs it as well, and then utterly ruthless as well. The climax is brilliant as well, moving from effectively thrilling to laugh out loud funny. So aye, this is an absolute cracker.

9/10

The Equalizer ( 2014 )

Choice #2 for the night seen Denzel Washington taking the Robert McCall character. A movie which starts off really well, and then when it switches into violence mode, doesn't really work since it's all pretty one dimensional stuff. I think if it were the start of a series, this movie would be more effective. As it is, this is still a decent enough one.

6/10

In Order of Disappearance.

The b*****d offspring of the Coen Brothers and Norwegian Noir, I thought this was a cracking revenge thriller cum black comedy.

Some well kent Euro faces in this to keep you busy, Stellan Skarsgard is Nils, the Mr Nice Guy who has to crack heads when his son is found dead of a drug overdose. Bruno Ganz (Downfall) appears an an Armenian drug lord, Birgitte Hjort Sorensen (Borgen) is in it too, but the stand out is Pal Sverre Hagen as the vegetarian psychopath The Count.

8/10

Not sure why, but I was sure you were making this film up!

I'll look forward to seeing Vegetarian Psychopath The Count and Armenian Hitler when it's out for rental :P

Superbad - three American high-schoolers attempt to get laid before they graduate.

Doesn't get much more generic than that. Good movie, although quite why the makers seem to think they were creating something new or unusual is beyond me. Definitely has its moments, but I think a lot of people found it much funnier than I did.

The Troll Hunter - From the "found footage" film genre, set in Norway about three college students making a documentary about a suspected bear poacher only to find out he is in fact a government troll hunter. Graphics aren't the greatest, and if you are not a fan of subtitles it might not be for you, but overall it's pretty enjoyable. 6/10.

Edited by TheCelt67

White Bird In a Blizzard: Really interesting premise about the disappearance of a bored and enigmatic housewife (Eva Green) leaving her 17 year old daughter (Shaline Woodley) confused as this young girl embarks on a path of sexual experimentation with her directionless boyfriend (Siloh Fernandez) and then older men in the shape of the detective investigating her mother's vanishing (Thomas Jane). Her father (Chris Meloni) seems bewildered and angry but utterly helpless and hopeless at providing guidance to his daughter. The screenplay is dreadful and has that terrible habit of putting misplaced poetry and insight into characters who simply wouldn't talk like that. I also found the film depressing and generally uninvolving with unlikeable characters.

2/10

Edited by Banterous

Fear ( 1996 )

Reese Witherspoon is some innocent girl, and Mark Wahlberg is a bit of a creepy new boyfriend. That's yer story, and to be fair, it's not bad. Especially the boyfriend's interactions with other people, and her dad in particular. So aye, I liked it.

7/10

Yeah this was very entertaining. Wahlberg, Reese Witherspoon, Alysa Milano and William Peterson (who was really good) held my interest throughout. Well written and acted and very underrated in my opinion. It was probably one of the best horror/thrillers of that year

The Guest is superb. Very entertaining and had elements of almost everything - a comedy action thriller horror movie.

Again another thriller that won't get the credit it deserves. Out of the Furnace which is a more straightforward drama is the same. Critical snobbery annoys me sometimes

Fear ( 1996 )

Reese Witherspoon is some innocent girl, and Mark Wahlberg is a bit of a creepy new boyfriend. That's yer story, and to be fair, it's not bad. Especially the boyfriend's interactions with other people, and her dad in particular. So aye, I liked it.

7/10

Yeah this was very entertaining. Wahlberg, Reese Witherspoon, Alysa Milano and William Peterson (who was really good) held my interest throughout. Well written and acted and very underrated in my opinion. It was probably one of the best horror/thrillers of that year

Might watch this again tonight; thanks chaps.