What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Just watched We Need To Talk About Kevin - Jesus, that's a bleak movie.

Made by a lassie from Glasgow - bit of an alchy, by some accounts.

Score by Johnny Greenwood from Radiohead.

Dark dark film.

Apparently, many who had read the book were disappointed by the film adaptation. I've not read the book, though.

Ought to be compulsory viewing for brainless wee airheads who decide they want a child so they can have a real-life dolly. Or folk who aren't 100% on whether they want to be a parent, but are being pressured into it anyway.

Agree with this. My favourite ever film. The first time I watched it, it was all I could think about and I watched it again about 2 hours later.

A genuine masterpiece.

Still don't understand the Lost in Translation love. I'm inclined to believe that the viewers are mesmerised by yon Black Widow's arse at the beginning, before seeing their own midlife crises mirrored in the rest. Certainly not bad, but I'm still a bit mystified.

It did introduce me to Peaches, however, so there's that.

Don't know about Gall but I doubt your view Dave. For a start I'm about 15-20 years younger than the Bob (Murray) character and Johannsen didn't do it for me in the physical sense. I think it was the combination of the view of Tokyo perfectly captured as being a vast Metropolis and the soulful meeting of two people who find that they're intellectually and emotionally connected. It wasn't a father figure, it wasn't anything sexual. It was more than that. Again though words don't capture what I loved about it. The soundtrack was fantastic although the lap dancing scene and it's choice of song was meant to capture how distasteful it was but if you enjoyed that part of the film, that's your prerogative ;)

Don't know about Gall but I doubt your view Dave. For a start I'm about 15-20 years younger than the Bob (Murray) character and Johannsen didn't do it for me in the physical sense. I think it was the combination of the view of Tokyo perfectly captured as being a vast Metropolis and the soulful meeting of two people who find that they're intellectually and emotionally connected. It wasn't a father figure, it wasn't anything sexual. It was more than that. Again though words don't capture what I loved about it. The soundtrack was fantastic although the lap dancing scene and it's choice of song was meant to capture how distasteful it was but if you enjoyed that part of the film, that's your prerogative ;)

I just liked the tune. I'm a man of simple tastes, me.

It's tremendous. Cranks up the tension pretty well.

Yep and practically every scene like where she goes into the police station. It's the best horror film imo since "The Exorcist"

Back on topic, I recommend you avoid Horns. A pseudo dark thriller which is actually a predictable fantasy horror with Harry Potter 3/10. I thought it was sh**e but of course all the English film critics just luuurve Daniel

Edited by Clarkston5

Can't mind if I already posted about Gone Girl but anyway 9/10.

A really engrossing story and I was hooked all the way through. Some pretty twisted stuff as well which is always good.

Think it was the first time I've ever seen a film at the pictures without knowing anything about the movie apart from the title and director. Never seen a trailer, never knew any plot details, and I had never heard of it until it was trending on Twitter. This led me to check Imdb, seen the high rating and 'David Fincher' so decided to check it out. Think I need to do this more often, makes a refreshing change knowing no background information to a film prior to viewing!

Don't know about Gall but I doubt your view Dave. For a start I'm about 15-20 years younger than the Bob (Murray) character and Johannsen didn't do it for me in the physical sense. I think it was the combination of the view of Tokyo perfectly captured as being a vast Metropolis and the soulful meeting of two people who find that they're intellectually and emotionally connected. It wasn't a father figure, it wasn't anything sexual. It was more than that.

Bang on. There's a scene were they're lying on the bed together, and he has his hand on her foot. Nothing happens, nothing is said, and the camera slowly pans away. Again, i can't describe why i loved it so much, but i just did.

Watched the Alien quadrilogy again over the past few days. Alien may have now overtaken Aliens as my favourite. Have really came to appreciate the slower build up and how the on screen time of the alien is minimal. Alien Resurrection wasn't ever going to reach the heights of the first two for many, I'd imagine, but I'd forgotten just how much I enjoyed it. Very bizarre addition to the series but one I thoroughly enjoyed.

Alien 3 is an absolute cataclysmic medley of w**k and is best avoided.

Can't mind if I already posted about Gone Girl but anyway 9/10.

A really engrossing story and I was hooked all the way through. Some pretty twisted stuff as well which is always good.

Think it was the first time I've ever seen a film at the pictures without knowing anything about the movie apart from the title and director. Never seen a trailer, never knew any plot details, and I had never heard of it until it was trending on Twitter. This led me to check Imdb, seen the high rating and 'David Fincher' so decided to check it out. Think I need to do this more often, makes a refreshing change knowing no background information to a film prior to viewing!

What did you make of the ending?

What did you make of the ending?

I thought it was very well done.

It makes you reflect on how much has changed in your opinions of the characters over the course of the film (as it is the same as the start) and with the ending being ambiguous it leaves you uneasy about where the relationship is headed. From the perspective of the film makers themselves it was also a pretty good idea. It keeps us all talking about it so long after viewing so essentially they've played a blinder.

Just seen Office Space tonight, 7.5/10

Thoroughly enjoyed it and plenty of funny moments. A few hit and miss jokes but generally it was to a pretty good standard. Also, Jennifer Aniston :wub:

Watched the Alien quadrilogy again over the past few days. Alien may have now overtaken Aliens as my favourite. Have really came to appreciate the slower build up and how the on screen time of the alien is minimal. Alien Resurrection wasn't ever going to reach the heights of the first two for many, I'd imagine, but I'd forgotten just how much I enjoyed it. Very bizarre addition to the series but one I thoroughly enjoyed.

Alien 3 is an absolute cataclysmic medley of w**k and is best avoided.

Yeah, Alien is definitely the best. I think it was a horror whereas Aliens was more like an action film. It's also why Prometheus failed (IMHO) because they didn't focus on the story and looked at the action. I mean they hire the best minds on earth then one of them tries to clap the alien snake?! The android going mental was also far too obvious. If you take away the effects and the Alien franchise it's a turkey of a film.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/daviddisalvo/2012/06/11/review-prometheus-is-a-visually-stunning-epic-failure/

Trance - 7/10.

Without being brilliant it was a decent way to waste a couple of hours before going to bed. McAvoy is on decent form here and the story keeps you interesterd/confused with the way it is set up, plus Rosario Dawsons shaved fandan. Lurvly.

Yeah, Alien is definitely the best. I think it was a horror whereas Aliens was more like an action film. It's also why Prometheus failed (IMHO) because they didn't focus on the story and looked at the action. I mean they hire the best minds on earth then one of them tries to clap the alien snake?! The android going mental was also far too obvious. If you take away the effects and the Alien franchise it's a turkey of a film.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/daviddisalvo/2012/06/11/review-prometheus-is-a-visually-stunning-epic-failure/

Prometheus was an absolute disaster. It was just a mess.

jOBS

Watched this last night as my Sky seems to be playing up and can only watch onDemand. It was kind of a compromise as she flatly refused to watch Gremlins 2 : The New Batch.

Anyway, it started ok, got a little better then got really shite followed by an abrupt ending. It tries to be The Social Network but the problem is Ashton Kutchner, his idea of method acting is to walk like he's shit himself because he reckons that's what Steve Jobs did.

He should stick to fingering Mila Kunis and living off Dude,wheres my car?

2/10

[Rec]

Heard it acclaimed on here. I wasn't really impressed. What did I not get? Not as good as other found footage films I've seen nor as scary. Perhaps it was because I built it up to a 10 after seeing it talked about on here. I'd say it's watchable but don't think it deserved the high placing it got on the Top 40 Horror's thread.

6/10.