What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Interstellar

It is a typical Nolan mind bending, time altering type affair on a massive scale (after the Batman franchise he has basically been given the go ahead to do whatever he feels like). The film is good, it is interesting and it is one that has kept me thinking since seeing it (partly due to just trying to work out exactly what went on). I did think there were just too many big ideas though, and there are parts of the film that feel a tad forced and possibly unnecessary but for a big budget film with grand ideas it is good value.

7/10

Watched this last night ( Interstellar ) and have to say I was pretty disappointed with it.... I think a lot of it felt forced and the story didn't run very smoothly - I wouldn't recommend it - 5/10

It's probably been mentioned earlier in this big thread but I wen't to see Judge about a week or two ago - conversely - I wasn't that excited by the prospect but it was actually very good..... 8/10

The 2nd is one of the most disgusting pieces of garbage ever commited to film. I don't get why they fucked with the story. It seems like the entire film is designed as a huge 'f**k you' to the first film. How they got the actors to agree to it is a mystery.

All very true. All of which makes it utterly hilarious for people who enjoy bad films. The original's one of those films that had absolutely no need for a sequel anyway. And I'm guessing Connery and Lambert agreed because CHA-CHING! AWOOGA SPONDOOLICKS YEE-HAA! :lol:

3 is decent enough. It utterly ignores that the 2nd ever happened. The story is that McLeod isn't the last immortal as there is some Oriental warrior who was frozen in ice and gets out. That's the 'Fortress Of Solitude' you're remembering.

It has a lot of flashbacks that see McLeod visiting ancient Japan (in his kilt!) and getting taught fighting and sword styles.

Certainly sounds interesting. I should probably buy them all anyway. The wife's a massive Highlander fan, and she's never forgiven me for selling an Argentinian Highlander Blu-Ray box set that I managed to get hold of. Hey, it was worth a small fortune, and we didn't even have a Blu-Ray player! :P

I haven't posted here before, but I feel like doing so after watching the first film I've ever watched where I don't even know if I liked it or not, A Place Beyond the Pines. I can't describe my feelings on it without giving away the plot, so I'll say it in spoilers. I'd be interested to hear other people's take on it:

For the first hour or so I really enjoyed it. It seemed weird how the second actor on the bill wasn't in it for a whole hour, and the plot of Ryan Gosling being a stunt-driver who uses his expertise for criminal activity to support a woman wasn't exactly new, but I enjoyed it a lot nonetheless. Then we finally see Bradley Cooper, whose first contribution in the film is to kill the main character with an hour and a half left. :huh:

The problem for me was that I didn't find what happened to Cooper's character from there on in as interesting, perhaps because Ray Liotta turning up and being a crooked policeman feels more than a tad predictable. Then comes the third act with Cooper and Gosling's sons as teenagers 15 years on. From what I've read the general agreement is that the third act ruins the film. Perhaps I just love epic stories told over different generations but I disagree, I thought the third part of the story recovered it and was the second most interesting part of the three. It was quite well put together how it was all tied up at the end I thought.

All in all I think I liked it, but I feel a bit cold about it all. It felt like it could've been a classic, but after the most interesting part of the film ended with an hour and a half to go it just didn't feel quite right after that. Maybe the film should've started with Cooper killing Gosling, followed by Cooper's story, then a flashback to the Gosling part before ending with the two sons. That way the best part wouldn't have been done with two fifths of the film left.

I haven't posted here before, but I feel like doing so after watching the first film I've ever watched where I don't even know if I liked it or not, A Place Beyond the Pines. I can't describe my feelings on it without giving away the plot, so I'll say it in spoilers. I'd be interested to hear other people's take on it:

For the first hour or so I really enjoyed it. It seemed weird how the second actor on the bill wasn't in it for a whole hour, and the plot of Ryan Gosling being a stunt-driver who uses his expertise for criminal activity to support a woman wasn't exactly new, but I enjoyed it a lot nonetheless. Then we finally see Bradley Cooper, whose first contribution in the film is to kill the main character with an hour and a half left. :huh:

The problem for me was that I didn't find what happened to Cooper's character from there on in as interesting, perhaps because Ray Liotta turning up and being a crooked policeman feels more than a tad predictable. Then comes the third act with Cooper and Gosling's sons as teenagers 15 years on. From what I've read the general agreement is that the third act ruins the film. Perhaps I just love epic stories told over different generations but I disagree, I thought the third part of the story recovered it and was the second most interesting part of the three. It was quite well put together how it was all tied up at the end I thought.

All in all I think I liked it, but I feel a bit cold about it all. It felt like it could've been a classic, but after the most interesting part of the film ended with an hour and a half to go it just didn't feel quite right after that. Maybe the film should've started with Cooper killing Gosling, followed by Cooper's story, then a flashback to the Gosling part before ending with the two sons. That way the best part wouldn't have been done with two fifths of the film left.

It's on my To Watch list, purely because it was scored by Mike Patton of Faith No More/Mr Bungle fame, and he asked me to check it out back when I used to use Facebook.

Yes, it was a personal request. In my head :P

While I'm hear I may as well give my thoughts on Nightcrawler:

What an absolute fucker of a film. I loved it, it had everything. The plot started interestingly and got better, it looked amazing, there was bags of suspense and it had a very clear message about how fucked up American news reporting has become (the part where the newsreaders are showing his footage and the director is saying in their ear "repeat that they're on the loose", "ask if there's a baby in the crib" empathised that point well.

The best thing about it was Jake Gyllenhaal's character and his performance though. What a weird, interesting, sociopathic character. It felt like it had nods to American Psycho, the way his pleasantries and polite conversation with people felt like they'd been studied from an online seminar, just like Patrick Bateman and his regurgitations of music reviews as his own thoughts, both done to pass them off as moderately normal people.

He should win an Oscar for this, but as Oscar's are usually for some triumph over adversity, good vs evil type films and this is the opposite I'd say there's 0% chance of that happening.

Edited by Guest

Literally came into this thread to post about this film, having watched it for the first time last night.

My feelings about it aren't all that different to yours, and I get where you're coming from with not being sure if you liked it, but I definitely feel like I enjoyed it.

The first hour was certainly the best act, though I don't think the other two were bad at all. I was going into it having only seen the trailer, which made it seem like it'd be a standard police officer chases bad guy scenario. Killing off Gosling's character after an hour surprised me to the extent that I wanted to keep watching just to see where they'd take it. Genuine lol when Gosling's lying there on the pavement as a vegetable and the two police officers run up screaming at him.

The second act was a bit predictable and in hindsight was probably my least favourite part, but Cooper played his role well enough to keep me interested throughout. Thought they might have made something about the (presumable) backlash his character would have faced from the police officers that he sent to jail, but I suppose the film is long enough as it is.

Like you, I actually thought the third act was pretty good. The eventual fight between the sons was obviously to be expected, but it really twisted and turned up until that point and I genuinely thought he would execute both of them until Cooper's character started crying. By the time the third act got going it felt like an age since Gosling had actually been in the film, so that structure you suggested might well have worked better.

All in all though I think it was a good film. Not a classic, but a 7 or 8 out of 10. Given that it's a fairly long film and has a pretty slow narrative, I'd say the fact that it kept me interested all the way through is enough for me to know that I enjoyed it.

Literally came into this thread to post about this film, having watched it for the first time last night.

My feelings about it aren't all that different to yours, and I get where you're coming from with not being sure if you liked it, but I definitely feel like I enjoyed it.

The first hour was certainly the best act, though I don't think the other two were bad at all. I was going into it having only seen the trailer, which made it seem like it'd be a standard police officer chases bad guy scenario. Killing off Gosling's character after an hour surprised me to the extent that I wanted to keep watching just to see where they'd take it. Genuine lol when Gosling's lying there on the pavement as a vegetable and the two police officers run up screaming at him.

The second act was a bit predictable and in hindsight was probably my least favourite part, but Cooper played his role well enough to keep me interested throughout. Thought they might have made something about the (presumable) backlash his character would have faced from the police officers that he sent to jail, but I suppose the film is long enough as it is.

Like you, I actually thought the third act was pretty good. The eventual fight between the sons was obviously to be expected, but it really twisted and turned up until that point and I genuinely thought he would execute both of them until Cooper's character started crying. By the time the third act got going it felt like an age since Gosling had actually been in the film, so that structure you suggested might well have worked better.

All in all though I think it was a good film. Not a classic, but a 7 or 8 out of 10. Given that it's a fairly long film and has a pretty slow narrative, I'd say the fact that it kept me interested all the way through is enough for me to know that I enjoyed it.

The worst part about that film was Gosling shouting. The man's voice goes into a weird screech whenever he attempts to raise his voice. Fwiw I found the third act ok if not predictable but it's not a bad film all in all. Edited by mrcat1990

I just watched the first half an hour of Noah and was beyond bored. Did anyone like this film at all? I just couldn't get into it.

I made it all the way to the end. I didn't particularly enjoy it either - it doesn't pick up much after the first half an hour, so you've made the correct decision to bail if you weren't enjoying it.

I went to see Nightcrawler last week too. Really good film that will likely get acclaim, but it's not a particularly pleasant film to watch. It's representation of the US tv media is obviously quite scathing and Gylenhaal was excellent in his role. I'd expect it to receive a lot of recognition in the forthcoming award season.

I imagine Nightcrawler being really appreciated by a certain section of the US public as I am sure they will recognise much more in the film than maybe we do, our news (TV news at least) isn't quite so bad for the stuff that you regularly see on Fox and all the terrible local news networks over there.

Bad Neighbours

This is one of the better comedies that's been out recently. I try to avoid most comedies as they're either awful or just all the same. The reviews were positive for this one so gave it a go and really enjoyed it. It's probably the best film I've ever seen Zac Efron in tbh, that role was perfect for him. Big shout out to the delightful Rose Byrne too.

7/10

I just watched the first half an hour of Noah and was beyond bored. Did anyone like this film at all? I just couldn't get into it.

No, it's rotten.

Who decided that randomly dropping Ray Winstone into films is a good idea? I've no problems with the man in suitable roles, but he's miscast so badly sometimes that you get the impression that somebody's taking the piss. It's like trying to turn Kenneth Williams into an action hero.

(which I'd totally have paid to see, BTW)

Death Proof 3/10

Utter shit saved by curiosity and a couple of dece moments. Easily his worst film, does he really think we've got the patience for those endless talkie scenes? Interest held by playing spot the Tarantino ouvre reference.

I liked it better than you, mainly because of the cast, but I know exactly what you mean. It amazed me that Planet Terror got pelters when the whole Grindhouse thing came out, but Death Proof got some plaudits. You'd swear that Tarantino could film himself taking a shit and some folk would hail it as a masterpiece.

The way we were. With Robert Redford & Barbara Streisand.......what a pile of pish!

Slightly worried about you now. I assume you got into someone's pants for enduring that.