What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Birdman

Fucking amazing.

Technically outstanding with the continuous long takes. The soundtrack and sound editing worked perfectly too. Top notch performances from Keaton, Norton, Stone etc.

Love watching a film that feels really original, fresh and exhilarating.

Hope there's some competition to knock this off my top spot as it'll be a fantastic year for film if there is.

Foxcatcher (spoilerish stuff inbound)

Fantastic film and one of those that you couldn't get up from your seat with a mark out of 10 ready. The pacing seemed quite odd, which had me wondering where it was going for most of it. The first act (sort of) seemed minutes long, then you're in suspenseful build-up mode for all but the final few minutes. The pay off was worth it and the ending was stunning. Carell, Ruffalo and Tatum were all perfect for their characters. Ruffalo's one of my favourite actors on the go just now, his character's interview was one of those understatedly powerful scenes that he does as well as anyone.

I watched about half of Taken the other night. Absolutely fucking shite :lol: His voice man :lol: Nearly ended myself when he finds out his daughter's off following U2. Would like to see the rest of it, had a Face/Off hilariously pish quality.

I was coming on here to bum up Birdman, but I see Albion Rover has beaten me to it and has put it much more eloquently than I ever could. Agree word for word with what he said really, it's a really special movie.

I was going to use a similar comparison with regards to it being a bit like Black Swan, maybe with a touch of Filth for good measure, but you're right - it's significantly better than both those movies and hit the mark much more.

The entire cast were exceptional, but I think this will be remembered as Keaton's masterpiece, the role that brought Edward Norton back after a bit of a lull and Emma Stone's real break out performance. She's a very good actress, particularly in The Help, but she was simply outstanding in this. All the actors succeeded in making their characters likeable and extremely unlikeable at the same time.

10/10

Ruffalo's one of my favourite actors on the go just now, his character's interview was one of those understatedly powerful scenes that he does as well as anyone.

He's one of those guys that just seems to consistently good, yet is still almost "overlooked" (as opposed to underrated) when people name some of the best actors around today. I've been guilty of it but I had a look at his filmography at I'm struggling to think of a role (that I've seen) where he's been anything other than enjoyable to watch.

And you're absolutely spot on about that scene.

Edited by yoda

Unbroken 9/10

Fantastic, just simply fantastic. Jack O'Connell is superb as an olympian who is involved in a fighter plane crash across Japanese waters during WW2. He endures nearly 7 weeks at sea before becoming a POW in Tokyo where hes tortured relentlessly by the devil like sergeant. One of the best films ive seen for a while, highly recommended

Yep can only echo this - brilliant film. Hard to watch at times in the POW camp but amazing story.

Jack O'Connell is a star.

9/10

The Equalizer - 8/10. Superb action movie, with another great performance from Denzel. He is usually overly cocky and full on confidence in his roles but this time he plays it with a quiet reserve whilst still being full of confidence. Some excellent set pieces and well worth a watch.

American Sniper

Good film. While I appreciate it was a true story, it wasn't exactly something I hadn't seen before. A war film with lots of hoorah usa, America f**k yeah etc. Nonetheless, an interesting insight into the lives of these snipers, and the split second decisions they have to take out in the field.

Foxcatcher

About brother wrestlers who are taken under the wing of a mental billionaire who fancies himself as a coach. I won't say any more than that, as I thankfully managed to avoid the rest of the story so there were a few surprises for me. Unbelievable at points.

Some good performances from Carrell and Ruffalo. I'm not a massive fan of Tatum but he was alright as the main character.

Definitely not without its flaws. Its long for what it is, and doesn't always hold your interest fantastically well, but a good insight into some interesting characters.

Night Moves ( 2013 )

What you get out of this will probably depend on how much you can take the first half of the movie, which is basically a big set up for the second half which moves as slow as a week in the jail. The second half of the movie is where it really comes into it's own, with it becoming a properly tense movie, with Jesse Eisenberg really coming into his own, mainly thanks to Dakota Fanning's character's own conflicts. Personally, I think it's worth getting to, but the first 50 minutes here do bring the score down. Because otherwise this would be a serious contender for the best UK release of 2014.

8/10

The Maze Runner - 8/10. I didnt really expect to like this movie much eevn though I enjoyed the trailer but it was a really good film. Much darker in tone than what im guessing most of the other young adult book-to-movie films would be.

The Theory Of Everything

I thought this was going to be boring and distinctly average. I was, to my pleasant surprise, wrong. This is an enjoyable watch and a fairly engaging drama about the relationship between Redmayne (excellent, really deserves his Oscar nod) and Jones (I actually thought she was better than Redmayne).

It's not spectacular and it's never going to be deemed a classic but it's a reasonably good film. It's fairly thin beyond the relationship between Hawking and his first wife - it really falls away when the focus moves away from the two of them - but two excellent lead performances define this film. There's obvious (some might say lazy) comparisons to be drawn between Redmayne and DDL in My Left Foot.

Technically it feels a bit too "TV film" at times. I liked the video camera bits but there plenty of scenes/shots that just felt really amateurish.

Final shout out to David Thewlis getting some screen time. I loved him in the Harry Potter films, he was one of my highlights of the entire franchise.

B