What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Whiplash

This film is very interesting. It's excellently written, shot, cut and acted, without an unintentional false note to be seen or heard, but it goes deeper than that- designing a unique teacher-pupil relationship within the setting of an ambitious jazz orchestra.

The pupil is Andrew, a talented young drummer who won't settle for just being talented- he wants to become the best. He earns a trial in said orchestra, conducted by Mr. Fletcher- an extreme disciplinarian with no code of morals, who will do anything to make his students achieve greatness, including severe personal abuse, physical violence and strategic lies.

Fletcher makes his players' lives hell, but Andrew doesn't even settle for that: he's just as hard on himself- he draws blood on a nightly basis trying to make himself great- and makes the personal sacrifices he sees necessary, devoting his life to the drum kit. If you've ever wanted to become great at anything, this film is a vivid interpretation of what it must be like. Some people have likened Mr. Fletcher to the gunnery sergeant from Full Metal Jacket; I saw him more like Sir Alex Ferguson, hair-drying and boot-flinging his team to success. In any case, J.K. Simmons, the master of bit-parts, handles his substantial role exceptionally well: his character gets all the good lines, and he weaponises every one of them to perfection.

But that's as far as the film's message really goes. It's a great premise and it arrives at a very satisfying conclusion, but almost nothing is left to the imagination; I wanted it to go further and try more. I hope writer-director Damien Chazelle can do that with his next film, as this showed a lot of promise. The film seems to work for a lot of people but, while I can't fault the cinematics, it didn't hit me as hard as it could have.

8/10

It's arguably one of the most interesting things I've ever watched, but still in places totally ignores his rationalisation, when it comes to specifics.

It's fucking fascinating. And I'd recommend it to every single person to watch. It won't change your views on him. He's a murdering scumbag. But you get insight into him, and his midset.

Testament of Youth

I was going to give this one a miss, but reading the reviews I thought I'd give it a go. It's basically a snap shot of Vera Brittain's life, from around about the beginning of the first world war until shortly after it finished. She was clearly well before her time, outspoken, ambitious and extremely free minded, a feminist without really realising it.

The movie itself is quite heavy going in truth, as you'd probably expect from a WW1 movie of this nature. It shows Brittain's evolution from optimist to realist and all the way to pacifist as she is taught some rather harsh life lessons over the course of the war.

I've not seen much of Alicia Vikander before this movie, but she was outstanding in her lead role. Very powerful performance and I'm actually quite surprised she wasn't really in the race for an Oscar nomination. Kit Harrington was excellent in his support role - I don't think he's great in Game of Thrones (although the character he plays is quite wooden) and Pompeii is a lot of coblers - but he's definitely got something based on his showing here.

Not a film for everyone I don't think, but I enjoyed it.

7/10

Edited by Kyle

Too many critically-acclaimed movies are out at the moment. Birdman, Whiplash, Foxcatcher, The Theory of Everything.. I have an obsession with watching all of the Oscar-nominated films before the Oscars actually happen. I'm going to be struggling. Went to see Birdman today, but the cinema had cancelled it because they ''hadn't received it in time.'' Perth is an awful place.

Too many critically-acclaimed movies are out at the moment. Birdman, Whiplash, Foxcatcher, The Theory of Everything.. I have an obsession with watching all of the Oscar-nominated films before the Oscars actually happen. I'm going to be struggling. Went to see Birdman today, but the cinema had cancelled it because they ''hadn't received it in time.'' Perth is an awful place.

Is it not even out in Perth yet? :lol:

Is it not even out in Perth yet? :lol:

With any luck it'll be out around the same time as the second Hobbit film so I can have a sesh of films.

Edited by RandomGuy.