What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Just seen Amazing Spiderman 2, just wow.

9,5/10

Firstly kudos for actually having the balls to kill off Gwen Stacey in a similar fashion to the comics. Great scene. The special effects were amazing. Seen in IMAX as well, fantastic

T2 had a bit of an edge to it though and the humorous parts were dark and far fewer than T3. Not sure what you mean about John Connor not ageing well but the film itself still manages to look good despite being made in 1991. The special effects were incredible at the time and it didn't rely on CGI for most of the film.

Effects are still great in T2 - I meant that John Connor's character in T2 hasn't aged well. I don't remember having a problem with him when the film came out, but I've found him incredibly annoying any time I've seen the film since then. He fit well with early Nineties popular culture, but he's a smug insufferable wee p***k, and it's hard to root for his survival. I know people didn't like Nick Stahl in T3, but I don't think T3 would've been improved by the return of Ed Furlong's version of the character. Not a criticism of Furlong, BTW; I'm sure he played it as he was told.

I shouldn't have asked for clarification about the hatred for T3, to be honest. A quick Google reveals blog posts like this one, which contains all the detail I could have asked for, and is frankly terrifying (no, I didn't read it). Would be interesting to know what dissatisfied Terminator fans would've wanted from a third film, though - seems to me that, between T3 and Salvation, the options are exhausted.
Think we'll watch Salvation again tonight. Chekov's Michael Biehn impression was entirely passable, IMO.

Effects are still great in T2 - I meant that John Connor's character in T2 hasn't aged well. I don't remember having a problem with him when the film came out, but I've found him incredibly annoying any time I've seen the film since then. He fit well with early Nineties popular culture, but he's a smug insufferable wee p***k, and it's hard to root for his survival. I know people didn't like Nick Stahl in T3, but I don't think T3 would've been improved by the return of Ed Furlong's version of the character. Not a criticism of Furlong, BTW; I'm sure he played it as he was told.

I shouldn't have asked for clarification about the hatred for T3, to be honest. A quick Google reveals blog posts like this one, which contains all the detail I could have asked for, and is frankly terrifying (no, I didn't read it). Would be interesting to know what dissatisfied Terminator fans would've wanted from a third film, though - seems to me that, between T3 and Salvation, the options are exhausted.
Think we'll watch Salvation again tonight. Chekov's Michael Biehn impression was entirely passable, IMO.

Not making a 3rd film would have been a good start, no need for it or Salvation, should have just ended it after T2

Terminator: Salvation - pretty impressive CGI, but I still don't find this one very interesting. I guess the aftermath of Judg(e)ment Day doesn't do much for me. Plus, some aspects of the plot are a bit cringemaking, like

the field hospital heart transplant and resulting voiceover.

Also, y'know that suspicious feeling that things have been included in a movie to sell toys later? Bit of that going on here. We're not talking Transformers-level shilling, but it's definitely there.

Obsession - Seventies De Palma film. Fairly entertaining, but transparently obvious where the plot is going within the first half-hour, which is a problem for any film with a twist in the tale. Worth watching the DVD extras to see Brian De Palma cheerfully admitting that he ripped off Vertigo for most of the plot, which would come as a surprise to precisely nobody :lol:

Not making a 3rd film would have been a good start, no need for it or Salvation, should have just ended it after T2

That's entirely fair. Those hookers and blow charity gala nights aren't going to pay for themselves, however.

The Rite - utterly formulaic exorcism film; ticks all the plot boxes laid down by the original. Be nice to see one where a troubled priest doesn't have his faith renewed, or where it turns out that the victim isn't actually possessed, or where the demon isn't expelled from the host. Wait, that last one is The Last Exorcism 2, and that was shite as well, so never mind.

The best in the exorcism genre try to put the shits up the audience; this, like many others, seem to exist as Catholic recruitment videos for the feeble-minded. Still, if you like seeing Anthony Hopkins have a good gnaw on the set dressing (a subgenre in and of itself), you've ample opportunity here.

Man of Steel

Never been much of a Superman fan but gave it a try, not bad but not great either, a shedload of CGI over any real character stuff, the final fight scene was just boring in the end and practically impossible to follow,

also I couldn't understand how after all the fighting a simple twist of the neck finally killed Zod?

Probably will be a sequel but would need to improve on this one big time .5.5/10

Orphan - quite a decent little thriller. Dysfunctional couple adopt Russian sprog after miscarriage. Sprog turns out to be something different from what they were expecting (she isn't Russian, for a start). Bedlam ensues.

Orphan - quite a decent little thriller. Dysfunctional couple adopt Russian sprog after miscarriage. Sprog turns out to be something different from what they were expecting (she isn't Russian, for a start). Bedlam ensues.

isnt that the bizzare one where she tries it on with the dad and its turns out that its a middle aged midget rather than a girl?

It's half term down here so I took the weans to see Noah yesterday. 1/10

Even the cgi of the 'turned to stone angels' was shite. Russell Crowe was shite. Ray Winston was Ray Winston ie shite. Emma Watson? Utter shite. The lassie may have been an ok Hermione but she can't act.

Oh and even Noah's Ark was shite. On the way home we decided it should be renamed 'Noah's Crate'.

If you liked Mama Mia you'll love this.

With two hours to kill and nothing else on at that time I ended up watching this.

Odd.

It's almost as if someone decided to cross The Bible with Lord Of The Rings and Mad Max. And failed.

It's watchable , however the CGI is poor in parts and is probably better left to DVD.

4/10.

Watched Rush last night, didn't think much of it aside from Olivia Wilde's appearance.

One of the best films of last year if you ask me. Still, you rated Sunshine On Leith as 9/10, and I gave that 0/10.

No accounting for taste.

Starship Troopers - lovely futuristic fascist satire, with a Zulu pastiche thrown in for good measure. Ridiculously coiffed beautiful people, hilarious dialogue, cliched plot, risible rhetoric; it's all here. Effects and action scenes still stand up well too. Good for a game of Spot-The-Actor, for those who like such things.

I was originally dragged along to this by a war movie lover who was expecting a serious military treatise :huh:

The level of seethe was palpable :lol:

With two hours to kill and nothing else on at that time I ended up watching this.

Odd.

It's almost as if someone decided to cross The Bible with Lord Of The Rings and Mad Max. And failed.

It's watchable , however the CGI is poor in parts and is probably better left to DVD.

4/10.

How can the same guy that made Pi, Requiem for a Dream and The Wrestler be resorting to this type of nonsense. I just dont get it.

lichtie23, on 22 Apr 2014 - 01:23, said:

It's better than 5

Rocky 4 is still my favourite

Rocky 5 was a very poor film, poor acting, relatively decent storyline that was poorly delivered and very poor subplot. It gains some points for the fantastic fight scene at the end and the typically cheesy, 'Punch me and I'll sue' moment. I love 1, 2 & 4 equally, can't separate them, all classics. 3 is just a very, very good film but has probably dated the most.

isnt that the bizzare one where she tries it on with the dad and its turns out that its a middle aged midget rather than a girl?

Aye, that's the one. A nice enough twist on the evil child genre.

Edit: We're talking about Orphan, just in case anyone clicks on the spoiler to find out and curses us out :P

Edited by BigFatTabbyDave