What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Mystic River - engaging drama about three kids whose adult lives are scarred by a kidnapping. Plays like a Greek tragedy and doesn't leave the audience with a satisfying ending, something that Eastwood the director seems to enjoy. Very good, albeit a tad depressing, and a stellar cast to boot.

One of my favourite films.

Seen it a few months ago, no where near as bad as i thought it would be, cant remember the rating i gave it at the time tho

The Maze - Bought this by mistake thinking it was this infamous piece of dreck, but it turned out to be something far blander. A group of idiots decide to play hide-and-seek in a field of corn (as we've all done, of course) and are picked off by a mysterious killer. Entirely by-the-numbers slasher and is so uneventful you'd swear those involved had no interest in making a film, but were just contractually obliged to do so. Great for insomniacs, I'm sure.

The killer isn't related to any other character and appears to have no real motive. WTF?

Donnie Darko - troubled high-schooler finds himself experiencing hallucinations that point to the imminent end of the world after a jet engine destroys part of his parents' house. Didn't follow the story entirely on the first viewing as I lost interest in the middle. Found it more engaging this time round, but it's still a bit of a mindfuck. It's practically guaranteed to leave the viewer with questions, but (from recent Googlings) it appears that you're always going to end up having to accept that certain things happen just because they do, which left me a little unsatisfied. Still a good film (with a quite incredible cast), but it's hard to escape the thought that Richard Kelly was perhaps more concerned with chasing numerical bunnies down metaphysical rabbit-holes than with creating engaging narrative.

Captain America the winter soldier 8/10

Yet another Marvel blockbuster. Really enjoyed it, plenty of humour and action. Good to see more of Samuel L jackson as Nick Fury.

Even though there was all this futuristic technology shown throughout the film it didn't seem over the top.

Robert redford was a good addition as was the inclusion of falcon.

Favourite moment/scene - fight scene and escape from the elevator. Really well filmed.

Really like chris evans as the captain, he plays the character really well. Plus anything with Scarlett Johansson is always fun :wub:

Can't wait for Avengers 2 now.

Just watched Pain & Gain. What a lot of bollocks.

Can someone explain to me that has seen it why a true story about murders, kidnapping and torture is a Comedy movie?

4/10.

Tin Cup

Story of a driving range professional who challenges for the US Open to gain the affection of a lady. Feel good story with some pretty funny moments. Kevin Costner has a knack of making pretty decent sports movies. There is even some boobs in it.

7/10

Just watched Pain & Gain. What a lot of bollocks.

Can someone explain to me that has seen it why a true story about murders, kidnapping and torture is a Comedy movie?

4/10.

Child abuse, amputees and racist stereotypes add up to Disney's Peter Pan. Go figure.

The Incredibles - family drama ensues when superheroes are forced into a normal life of mundanity after the people they save turn litigious. Wife and kid watched this while I was working last night, so I got the audio-only version. Words cannot describe what an utter joy this movie is; the only negative is that it ends. The Incredibles 2 has just been announced, so we can but hope that Disney don't manage to turn it into one of their usual idea-free saccharine-fests.

Virtuality- set in the near future, a starship and it's crew are sent on a possible 10 year mission to our nearest,possibly habitable exo-solar system, because of the nature of this trip, they reach Neptune where they have to decide to turn back or be sling-shotted out to deep space as part of their "entertainment" they have VR goggles where they can choose their own scenarios,cue glitch in the computer programming(a la HAL) where sinister things occur,oh and they are being televised in a sort of outer space big brother thing ! seemed a good plot so I watched this at the weekend,was not too bad until the ending........ just stopped!

Looked it up on IMDB only to discover that it was actually a pilot for a series that was never started!!! :thumbsdown

complete waste of time !

Having finished work and fuelled by my love of Agents of Shield, I've watched Thor, Captain America, Hulk and The Avengers in 2 days. As well as watching the new Spider-Man (as in the first one)

It was strange seeing Coulson in a whole different light. Especially given what you find out!

Pompeii - gladiator in ancient Rome must gain his freedom, win the heart of the governor's daughter, and attain vengeance for the slaughter of his people. Oh, and there's something about an exploding mountain...?

Only watched this because I dragged the family out to see Godzilla a week early, seat reservation in hand, like a total spanner. The film's a mass of cliche and manages to come over like a remake of Gladiator for a fair part of its running time, disturbingly so at times. Dialogue is functional at best, along with the acting, although Queefer Sutherland puts in a nice turn as the bizarrely English Evil Roman Senator. Having said that, our Celtic hero's accent is from Londinium, so the casting director & dialogue coaches certainly earned their money.

Special effects are quite nice, for what it's worth, even before the big hill blows its top. It's all a bit bland though, and very, very familiar. I'd recommend leaving it for DVD, but the effects are the only reason for watching, so...probably not worth bothering unless it turns up as part of your streaming package.

Edit: Who keeps giving Paul W.S. Anderson so much money for these films? He's made some moderately entertaining but pretty average films in the past, but they're never going to turn a profit on these budgets :blink:

Edited by BigFatTabbyDave

Edit: Who keeps giving Paul W.S. Anderson so much money for these films? He's made some moderately entertaining but pretty average films in the past, but they're never going to turn a profit on these budgets :blink:

He does though. Resident Evil: Retribution and Afterlife made $240 and $296 million respectively off of $60 million budgets. Three Musketeers made $130 million off of $75 million. Even if that's not the total cost of the films, they're still clearing huge profits. Pompeii has a budget of $100 million and it's at $96 million taken so far so it'll probably at least break even.

Say what you will about him (and I could have some choice words about the Resi films), his movies make money so it's no wonder he keeps getting the funding to make whatever the f**k he wants.

"We can't afford to let ourselves be guided by cultural standards, particularly now. There was a time when the average person wasn't even aware of box office grosses, but now cinema has become a sport. For young people today, that's what they know. Who made the most money? Who's the most popular? Who's popular now, as opposed to last year, last month, last week, until the cycles of popularity are down to a matter of hours, minutes, seconds, and the work that's been created out of seriousness and real passion is lumped together with the work that really hasn't."

He does though. Resident Evil: Retribution and Afterlife made $240 and $296 million respectively off of $60 million budgets. Three Musketeers made $130 million off of $75 million. Even if that's not the total cost of the films, they're still clearing huge profits. Pompeii has a budget of $100 million and it's at $96 million taken so far so it'll probably at least break even.

Say what you will about him (and I could have some choice words about the Resi films), his movies make money so it's no wonder he keeps getting the funding to make whatever the f**k he wants.

Where are you getting those figures from? IMDb shows a loss at the US box office for almost everything he's made in recent years, which is generally considered to be the benchmark for success from US funders, as I understand it.

Fair play to him if those are worldwide grosses; he's obviously doing very well for himself. But he's quite fortunate to have found some sensible backers. And his wife too, the b*****d :P

Edit: just looked up the worldwide grosses; that's an incredible swing between US and RoW takings. $20m box office for Three Musketeers vs $112m elsewhere :blink: Maybe one of the few occasions that the US can claim to have better taste than Europe :P

Edited by BigFatTabbyDave

"We can't afford to let ourselves be guided by cultural standards, particularly now. There was a time when the average person wasn't even aware of box office grosses, but now cinema has become a sport. For young people today, that's what they know. Who made the most money? Who's the most popular? Who's popular now, as opposed to last year, last month, last week, until the cycles of popularity are down to a matter of hours, minutes, seconds, and the work that's been created out of seriousness and real passion is lumped together with the work that really hasn't."

Does anyone really make their choice of viewing based on box office? :wacko:

Dunno about anyone else, but if I haven't seen one of Marty's films lately, it's because it didn't look interesting to me personally. Plus I haven't enjoyed much of his more recent work, no matter how serious and passionate it may have been.