What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

The Devil's Rain 5.5/10

An odd b-movie starring William Shatner, Ernest Borgnine, and the Satanist Anton LaVey, from the director of The Abominable Dr Phibes. Lots of Satan, souls, melting people, Borgnine turning into a goat...this is so strange that we initially though it was playing through the chapters on random. A bit all-over-the-shop but pretty entertaining b-movie fare.

Remember Me 5.5/10

Watched it because it's a favourite of Mrs Chris. Robert Pattinson breaks out of the sexy brooding vampire straitjacket every young actor gets stuck in to play a sexy brooding student layabout who falls in love with a Kirsten Dunst knockoff in complicated circumstances involving Pattinson thumping her dad, a rozzer. Everyone in the film is carrying a weight and I would file this genre as 'sad romance' inasmuch as it's not about overcoming unlikely situations to meet the girl of your dreams, its more than the problems are realistic and it doesn't end well. Even though I'm rating it low and saying 'not that great', it's watchable because Pierce Brosnan, Pattinson and Chris Cooper are good in it, and it has a decent twist at the end.

Reminded me of an Ian McEwen kind of thing, or maybe Never Let Me Go, in terms of tone, but cheaper.

Nymphomaniac 9/10

Sex addiction eh? Preferred Shame but this was fucking hilarious in places!

Fave bits/observations -

1. Charlotte G takes two black geezers back to her place for a sandwich and they have an elongated argument over who's going to get which hole! She gets bored/dressed and walks off for a cuppa.

2. There's way too much pubic/body hair in this film and Charlotte's stunt double had a really disgusting looking clunge.

3. Charlotte constantly saying "fill all my holes" and continuously referring to her "c**t".

4. Charlotte taking a damn good spanking and loving it.

5. The ending!

Miss Zombie 6.5/10

Monochrome, realist zombie film set in the near future. A well-to-do Japanese family procure a zombie house-servant woman. She is initially treated like a dog, stabbed, raped, stoned and generally mistreated by all who come into contact with her as she mutely does her duties. A tragedy changes the dynamic of the family's relation to her, and gradually she recalls some of her pre-zombie humanity, whilst the humans around her lose theirs. Slow-paced, but works the better for that. A refreshing take on the zombie movie.

Inside Llewyn Davis 8/10

I'm not even going to pretend this is anywhere near the top 5 or possibly top 10 Coen Bros films but as a fan of early 60s folk I really enjoyed it. Carey Mulligan is probably the standout, stealing the show and playing against type as a caustic folkie rolling her eyes at everything Davis comes out with. The actor playing him does a decent job for a relative newcomer and the Coens clearly thought he had something as they let him perform the songs in their entirety. In contrast to the music love, the look of the film is quite a cold, damp NYC and none of the characters come out of it smelling of roses, you do start to get the impression they are sending up the whole scene as much as celebrating it.

Dog Day Afternoon 10/10

Early Al Pacino flick from 1975, in shouty Rob Brydon mode for part of it but he really does hold the whole thing together and was a great actor at this point. The plot is two hoodlums holding up a bank so one can pay for his boyfriend's sex change operation (making it about 15 years ahead of its time in terms of the mainstream covering gay rights) and ensuing media scrum they create out of their rapidly failing heist. And its all set in the space of one day so is obviously magnificent because of this.

Have you just discovered this topic Christophe? :o

American Pie 2

Not as good as the first obviously, but still good stuff and he last funny really funny one of the franchise IMO. Some genuine laughs throughout. The only negative when I watch these flims is the negative nostalgia I get. I'd love to go back in time and have a month of high school. Defo best days of your life!! :(

Anyway, 7/10.

Ace Ventura, When Nature Calls

Was on channel 5 the other week and I thought, ah f%ck it I'll watch it again. Haven't laughed as much at a flim for a good long while. I was laughing from start to finish. I forgot how funny Jim Carrey can be, even without having to speak. An hilariously immature 90 minutes :D

6.5/10

Copy and paste from the Godzilla thread:

I watched it tonight and I felt it was really enjoyable. Fantastic use of lighting and the special effects were top notch. Didn't go in expecting a masterpiece and didn't leave thinking I'd seen one. Just a thoroughly entertaining film that takes itself seriously but IMO it only made it more fun. I get uncomfortable with the uber-cheesefests you get in some films so was happy this left it out. Creamed my pants every time Godzilla did his iconic roar as well. Sexy bassa.

7.5/10

Coma - Seventies conspiracy thriller where doctor Genevieve Bujold discovers a disturbing pattern in deaths at the hospital she works at. Seventies conspiracy thriller is practically a genre to itself, and Coma has a similar feel to other members like Soylent Green. Decent viewing and a little tad chilling, as it doesn't seem as far-fetched as some. Oh, and it's directed by Michael Crichton, but isn't based on one of his books.

Contact - Jodie Foster unsuccessfully dedicates her life to finding extraterrestrial transmissions, until finally she intercepts one...or does she? The movie builds quite nicely through investigation of the alien message, before reaching the point of actual contact, and...well, pissing a lot of people off, frankly. Personally, I didn't mind the resolution, but I can see why others felt cheated. It's a decent, solid drama with sci-fi overtones, and well worth giving a try on an empty evening.