What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

The Turin Horse - Guy and his daughter's bleak existance in some rural wasteland is shown through the painfully slow and repetitive process of them eating boiled potatos with their fingers, getting water from a well, trying to feed a pretty haggered looking horse - who we assume is the subject of an anecdote narrated about Nietszche going insane - staring out of a window at nothing etc. At one point a neighbour pops in to talk about the external word's ruin and the end of days. As the horse - the family's livelihood - begins to die and their well runs dry, the couple leave for the horizon. In a painfully depressing sequence, they are seen to return a minute later. As if the neighbour was right and the world has ended. Eventually their oil lamps cease to work. Dying horse, no water, no light, no escape.

Good laugh.

Running Time: 146 min

:wacko:

Easy Money - Swedish thriller about a Business School whizzkid, Serbian mobster and Chilean prison escapee who's lives overlap in their criminal efforts to make a shit load of quick cash. All very cliched. For example, one is a torn-faced leather jacket wearing c**t with a Ratko Mladic poster but its alright cos he's got a daughter. Enjoyable enough all the same. Fans of all the BBC4 Scandinavian shows will enjoy spotting the actors from these series popping up throughout.

Entertaining and stylish but unoriginal. Solid 7/10.

Running Time: 146 min

:wacko:

Aye, it wasn't a laugh a minute. One of those ones where you fall asleep at a really weird time and wake up at about 1am in a mood to watch a 2 1/2 hour black and white existentialist drama about a Hungarian peasant trying to come to terms with the death of his horse. Sure we've all been there man.

Director has another film which is 7 hours long apparently.

X-Men Days Of Future Past.

Loved it. Beats X-2 I think and I would place it up there with the best Marvel films I've seen.

The action and set pieces are as stunning as you'd expect, Singer is an old hand in this universe now. All the performances are excellent but there's just something about Fassbender that just absolutely eats up the screen no matter what he's in.

8/10

Edited by AberdeenBud

Alien Abduction: The McPherson Tape

I saw this about 14 years ago and enjoyed it.

Be interested to know what you thought on a more recent viewing...

Into the Mirror - Korean supernatural mystery, later remade as the more straightforward horror film Mirrors in the US. This is a much more clever film than the remake, and is more enjoyable too. Interestingly, the remake's sequel (Mirrors 2) follows the plot of the original far more closely, but is still nowhere near as good.

Jack Reacher - very nice conspiracy thriller. Certainly sounds like Tom Cruise was terribly miscast, but he's his usual charming/smarmy self (delete as appropriate), and was quite engaging IMO. Excellent action sequences, an engaging story, and a nice line in humour. Quite looking forward to seeing a sequel. Oh, and Rosamund Pike looks bustier than she used to, which was quite entertaining on its (their?) own.

X-Men: Days of Future Past - Quality sequel and prequel to different movies in the series. No point in discussing the plot; if you've enjoyed prior X-Men films then you should just go and see this, as it's quite excellent, and does a nice job of tying X-Men: First Class in with the other films. Probably not a great introduction to the series, however.

Maleficent - 7/10

Pretty much the only reason to go see it though is for Jolie's outstanding performance, she couldn't have been more perfectly cast in the role. Everyone else however is fairly lackluster and the film would have greatly suffered without such a great lead. Good enough plot to keep you interested and some fantastic visuals too. Overall a good film.

Edited by EdgarusQPFC

Aye, Jolie is terrific in it. It's all in the eyes. The pixies are brutally annoying, and aside from being absolutely shite at bringing the lass up, they're also horrible comic relief in a movie which didn't need it.

I enjoyed it though, even with all of it's weird inconsistent moments. I'd go 8/10 on it, as when it was good, it was REAL good.

X-Men Days Of Future Past.

Loved it. Beats X-2 I think and I would place it up there with the best Marvel films I've seen.

The action and set pieces are as stunning as you'd expect, Singer is an old hand in this universe now. All the performances are excellent but there's just something about Fassbender that just absolutely eats up the screen no matter what he's in.

8/10

It was the same in First Class, he is brilliantly cast.

Aye, Jolie is terrific in it. It's all in the eyes. The pixies are brutally annoying, and aside from being absolutely shite at bringing the lass up, they're also horrible comic relief in a movie which didn't need it.

I enjoyed it though, even with all of it's weird inconsistent moments. I'd go 8/10 on it, as when it was good, it was REAL good.

I found the rest of the cast rather annoying. The King is a hypocritical Judas and Aurora is just annoying.

I liked Aurora. Elle Fanning was an inspired bit of casting for that role. She just buzzes with the energy that you'd expect from the character. Aurora and Maleficent kept the whole thing glued together with the crumbling mess of shite around them.

I liked Aurora. Elle Fanning was an inspired bit of casting for that role. She just buzzes with the energy that you'd expect from the character. Aurora and Maleficent kept the whole thing glued together with the crumbling mess of shite around them.

I agree the casting is spot on for Aurora, i just find the character annoying, shes just too good and pure, to the point that it just seems fake. If the rest of the cast had delivered as well as Fanning and Jolie id have given it a higher score.

It was the same in First Class, he is brilliantly cast.

he's excellent, but i think a lot of that comes from his chemistry with mcavoy, you could honestly believe that the two of them grew up together they seem to just click no bother on screen

had it been someone else and he might not have looked so comfortable in his role

Saw A Million Ways to Die in the West. Hasn't got good reviews but I enjoyed it. Still very much Family Guy/American Dad type humour so you'll like it if you enjoy those.

No idea how to do spoilers so won't say any more but best cameo ever!

Aye, if Seth McFarlane's style isn't for you, then steer clear. He throws lots of shit at the wall in this one. In my own opinion, the vast majority of it sticks and it's utterly hilarious. It's going to be a marmite experience though.

I'm going 9/10 on it. Truly great.

Edited by NewDomDom

X Men -Days of Future Past

Really enjoy the X Men films and I thought this was brilliant ,loved First Class as well and can't decide which I prefer, as has been mentioned Fassbender and Mcavoy are just great together,the action is stunning ,i saw it in 3D and it was worth it ,not quite sure where else they can go with it now but no doubt they'll think of something. 9/10

The Lone Ranger

I thought I'd give this a chance and to be fair it isn't completely awful, the action is OTT as expected and Depp gives as good an account as always but Armie Hammer is dreadful in the lead role, to be fair I'm not sure if it's just the fact that they got the whole persona of the Lone Ranger wrong and made him some bumbling gaff prone anti-hero ,basically he was Tonto's heel , this film may have worked if they had done it a bit straighter and not gone for the comedy route. Some good bits but pretty forgettable stuff. 3/10

Saw A Million Ways to Die in the West. Hasn't got good reviews but I enjoyed it. Still very much Family Guy/American Dad type humour so you'll like it if you enjoy those.

People said this about Ted too. I'm a huge fan of Family Guy but I thought Ted was utter shite and this film doesn't look any better from what I've seen in trailers.