What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Mistaken for Strangers 7/10

The documentary made by Tom Berninger (brother of Matt Berninger of The National) following said band on tour. It was pretty unusual - for a documentary that follows a band on tour there is very little about the band from a musical perspective. Its more like a simple drama of the tensions between two brothers and how they reconcile one being more talented and successful than the other and all the guilt and resentment that comes with it. Props to the band for allowing some less than flattering portrayals of themselves - for a band that has come from an indie background we see how much thought is put into maintaining their image and how ruthless their management is in keeping them an efficient operation. Wankers!

Very original but could have done with a bit more substance.

Watched this last night.

Found it grim and quite difficult to watch at times.

The guy Tom was clearly a bit socially inept and it was painful seeing all these folk that clearly didn't have any time for the guy dealing with him. The tour manager seemed like an absolute c**t.

I like the band's music but they didn't come across very well in this at all. Seemed like folk that had really been affected by fame and let it go to their heads. Although it's all about his brother and him not getting on due to that kind of dynamic it was his brother who took him on tour, let him live in his house to make his film etc. Generally looked out for him.

Was pretty compelling though and I think the fact it was just over an hour really helped. For anyone who has a brother I'm sure they'd see a bit of their own relationship in the two guys and it was good to see in the end that they both had each other's best interests at heart.

World War Z.

Watchable Brad Pitt flick, effects were very good ,kind of kept asking myself all the way through the film what Pitt was actually meant to be doing ,not as good as 28 Days Later ,I think the whole global virus thing is starting to look a bit jaded now, 6/10.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning - prequel to the remake from about ten years ago. A deformed and abandoned baby is discovered and raised by inbred hillbillies, before starting work at the local slaughterhouse as an adult. When the slaughterhouse (and the town) closes, mayhem ensues.

Aside from the first ten minutes or so, this is virtually identical to the first film, so the whole 'prequel' concept adds nothing but the guarantee that Leatherface and his family will survive beyond the end of the movie. This one seems more concerned with piling on the revolting backwoods cliches, so it might be worth a look if you're struggling with an upset stomach and want to move to the conclusion without sticking your fingers down your throat. Really has nothing to offer in terms of story or suspense, and R. Lee Ermey is the main focus, which is all well and good but surely not the reason why you'd buy the ticket in the first place.

However, there's a fair amount of comedy value in the way that almost everybody in the movie is very willing to graphically insult a 7ft tall, built-like-a-brick-shithouse, (supposedly) mentally deficient slaughterhouse worker while he is holding the tools of his trade :lol:

Pacific Rim - 3/10.

Pretty much garbage, hammy and badly acted throughout.

To be fair it did exactly what it was meant to do. Will never win any awards but i love it

It actually did win some of the science fiction awards, as well as one or two for special effects, plus a BAFTA nomination!

I gladly stand corrected!

Safe House

Brilliant action thriller with Denzel Washington,Ryan Reynolds and Brendan Gleeson. DW plays his usual role as the coolest man on earth , this time in the guise of a rogue CIA agent, RR does a great turn as the newbie agent given the role of minding the evil genius of washingtons character. Superb action and very good performances make this an excellent film. 9/10

Pacific Rim

Maybe you have to be a sci-fi fan to appreciate its charms but just not for me this one, I know they are doing B movie schlock but personally I didn't get it. 2/10

Pacific rim, whilst cheesy and not a classic by any means, was one of those films that was pretty impressive on a big scale in the cinema. Dredd was like that too. Not sure how they'll hold up at home though.

Killing Them Softly

Starts off very well, in a sort of Elmore Leonard manner with lots of chat about characters who haven't been on screen and then becomes a bit twisty. Some pretty obvious statements that crime is based on financial problems, starting at the government level, and has some pretty good performances whilst making urban america look like a shite hole.

Unfortunately it feels pretty rushed in the end and left me feeling a bit "meh".

Also, I don't think Brad Pitt eats in it.

6/10

Almost Famous, for the first time in years. That situation, at that time, would have been a dream come true for me. What I'd forgotten is that, while the film itself is a solid 7/10, the soundtrack goes all the way up to 11!

Didn't think much of Pacific Rim either, and I do love me some giant monsters. It felt more like Godzilla of 1998 than Godzilla of 2014. Although it still pissed all over the former.

Slightly horrified at the mooted concept of Godzilla 2 being a Pacific Rim crossover.

I thought safe house was as average as you can get. Washington just went through the motions and it's just a very beige film.

I think Washington did the calculated rogue agent well in all honesty, nobody does that kind of roll better than him IMO, (Training Day another example ) ,on reflection I would maybe mark it down a wee bit for being a little formulaic

gleesons character turning out to be the bad guy was pretty cliched and DW saving RR character at the end was another tired old scene,bad guy not being all that bad at all etc...

but all in all loved it though possibly because i'd just endured Pacific Rim beforehand ;) .

The Bourne Legacy

As a stand alone film it would be pretty good, but as has been mentioned on so many forums etc.. as a Bourne film it's a bit lazy and basically not required. All they've done is piece together parts of the three previous films and made this one, shame as Renner plays it well ,I quite liked his character,had a bit of a cheekier side to him and could have been an ongoing part of a re-invented franchise but basically this is just a re-hash, the only way it was ever going to work is if they'd taken it into a new direction , just a not required attempt to squeeze a little more out of the Bourne saga, 5.5/10

Almost Famous, for the first time in years. That situation, at that time, would have been a dream come true for me. What I'd forgotten is that, while the film itself is a solid 7/10, the soundtrack goes all the way up to 11!

I love the bit when they're all sitting on the bus on major comedowns, and out of nowhere they all start singing Elton John - Tiny Dancer.

That scene is beautiful.

I love the bit when they're all sitting on the bus on major comedowns, and out of nowhere they all start singing Elton John - Tiny Dancer.

That scene is beautiful.

Yep, that one and Kate Hudson dancing alone in the empty ballroom.