What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Downfall

9 out of 10

If I was being honest, the last thing I wanted to do when getting in from work last night was to sit down and watch a foreign language historical epic dealing with supremely difficult subject matter.

But, it is bloody brilliant. Tense, gripping, and genuinely had us sitting on the edge of our seats right through to the end.

It doesn't end well for the dude with the 'tache

I thought it was excellent too. Must look out the dvd again.

The Frankenstein Theory ( 2013 )

A touch better than I was expecting this one. Mainly thanks to the way that they hinged everything on the big reveal. Which was about as uninspiring a reveal as you're likely to see, especially in a found footage movie, which is a genre in which an entire movie can be shit, but they always crank things up a notch in the end. This movie just doesn't deliver on that count, but delivers a tense wee number for the rest of the movie before that. Depending on how you see it, this could be a total waste of 80 minutes, but I enjoyed the ride for the most part.

6/10

Freddy vs Jason - saw this in the cinema years ago, and don't remember it being particularly inspiring. However, after watching Friday the 13th Part 7, it comes across as a classic. Actually quite enjoyed it, and it's certainly more entertaining than most in the Elm Street/Friday franchises.

I'm starting to base my rental habits around this thread - thanks to all contributors! :thumsup2

Friday the 13th Part 8: Jason Takes Manhattan next *shudder*

I don't know if the movie/film terminology actually has anything to do with a transatlantic divide.

In a way, "movie" is the more appropriate term because all cinema is centred around movement. Film isn't even needed any more.

Been in America 12 years. When did everyone in the UK start calling FILMS "movies"??

Has cinema been replaced with "movie theatre" too?

The theater/theatre thing threw me for a while...I spent a few weeks thinking everyone was surprisingly cultured in the States, considering how often they were talking about visits to the theater.

Edit: is it too late to go back to "The Talkies"?

Edited by BigFatTabbyDave

Aberdeen ( 2000 )

Lena Headey is taking her dad, Stellan Skarsgård, from Norway to Aberdeen to see her mum. It's a properly good road movie, if extremely hard to watch at times, and it's so hard because the two leads are sensational, dripping with their own big problems with themselves as well as each other. Obviously they bond and such things and that side of things is predictable, but that doesn't make this any less involving when things do eventually happen.

9/10

Company Of Heroes 4/10

Absolute rubbish, one of my favorite actors in Tom Sizemore, ridiculous in all the wrong equipment and what looked like ginger hair hamming it through a behind the lines raid on a German super weapon factory with crazed RAF Airman Vinnie Jones at his side. Not even the tanks were proper Panzers

Totally agree. Great actor, sh!te film.

Out of the Furnace - 6 out of 10

I think this could have been a very good film but the script and direction lets it down, and so it is just a good film.

The cast is brilliant with Christian Bale, Casey Affleck, Willem Defoe, Forest Whitaker, Woody Harrelson, and Zoe Saldana ( :wub: )

Despite the great cast, it veers towards being overwrought and the main leads do take turns to chew the scenery.