Walking Down The Halbeath Road

I honestly don't understand what we're doing. We've had Paul McGowan on trial for almost a month, no other trialists, Michael O'Hallaron doing some form of training but nothing else doing. Surely by now you know if you're offering McGowan a deal or not. If we've had boys in training why are they not featuring in games? 

Was anyone at the fixtures breakfast thing on Friday? Did McPake elaborate if we might be nearing some business getting done? I know he keeps cards close to his chest but I'm sure someone asked.

Still think it’s early, we certainly aren’t alone in the early stages of getting the squad together.  There will be more signings to come, but looking at other seasons, we were always signing additions right up to the first window.  Rarely would we be sitting start of July NOT needing 4 or to come in.  

The KRH news makes it a bit more urgent, but patience…!  

46 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Ffs. Probably looking at November by time he's match fit then? Maybe October?

Assuming 12 weeks includes recovery and training to get back, 12 weeks from now is 27th Sep. There are 6 league matches before then. 

Couple after that as a sub to get back into the full swing of things?

As I said last season, we have no idea what work the club are doing regarding signings. For all we know they've fired out loads of contract offers. For all we know loads of players have declined a contract offer. For all we know some players have agreed on principle. For all we know they're still in talks with other clubs and are waiting for them to sign someone in order to free up a player. For all we know players had agreed to sign but have backed out for whatever reason.

What I doubt is that they're not doing anything or are dragging things out for some unknown reason.

Also, going back to the Paul Allan discussion, unfortunately I don't think he's good enough for a team who wish to be challenging at the top of the Championship, or at least he's never shown anything yet to suggest he can. For a guy who will be 24 not long after the new year, that's concerning.

58 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

Was anyone at the fixtures breakfast thing on Friday? Did McPake elaborate if we might be nearing some business getting done? I know he keeps cards close to his chest but I'm sure someone asked.

It wasn't an open Q&A, don't remember that being asked. 

22 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

It wasn't an open Q&A, don't remember that being asked. 

Sorry I wasn't there, didn't realise there wasn't a Q&A. Just thought it's something someone would normally ask if it was a Q&A.

I'm sure the club are doing things, realistically off the pitch this is as good as we've been for some time but I think it's just everything seems a little slow. Three new signings but all people we had at the end of last season (apart from Fisher), but realistically we have no improvement in squad from the team that beat Alloa on 6th May and it's clear we need a lot more quality to be able to complete next season. In fact if anything we're now weaker with no Todorov, McDonald and O'Hara.

A week on Saturday to the first meaningful game and it's a Fife derby and we've got a piss thin squad. KRH out of three months, Fisher going off last night although it sounds more precaution.

Edited by The Toun Clock

2 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Speaking to a boy who works for St Johnstone and he reckons Wotherspoon is signing for us once he gets back from the Gold Cup. Wasn't sure about O'Halloran but said he wouldn't be shocked if that happened.

Aye I heard something similar but from a St J fan.

50 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

Sorry I wasn't there, didn't realise there wasn't a Q&A. Just thought it's something someone would normally ask if it was a Q&A.

There were pre set questions from someone with a mic tbf, but nothing much was said. 

49 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

That’d be an excellent signing

Still not feeling it at all, absolutely reeks of a signing that'd end up released a year later. When was the last time Wotherspoon was consistently productive? 

36 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

Still not feeling it at all, absolutely reeks of a signing that'd end up released a year later. When was the last time Wotherspoon was consistently productive? 

Madness, he'd be an exceptional signing.

31 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

It’s a fair point and 20/21 is a while ago now, although he has spent nearly a year out injured in that time. Difficult one to judge where he’s at since returning as he’s not really had a run of games, although the three games he played more than 15 minutes in prior to the World Cup he was excellent. 

FWIW, I’d have liked him to get another year with us and get a full pre-season under his belt and see if he can go again. 

My head is telling me to remain patient in regard to our summer transfer business. McPake clearly doesn't rush into signings and we still have time on our side to sign some new players, plus we also have the loan window which he made effective use of last season.

However, I am slightly concerned that we haven't signed anyone 'new' yet. The three guys we have brought in were on loan to us last season and even though we ran away with the league, we did get very fortunate in terms of not getting too many bad injuries, considering we ran with a small squad. I think we're not going to get away with that this season and KRH being out for 3 months before a ball is kicked is an absolute disaster.

Outside of him, we're currently left with the following first team players...

GK: Mehmet / Little

DF: Benedictus / Breen / Fisher / Comrie / Edwards / Otoo

MF: Allan / Chalmers / Hamilton / Todd

ATT: Wighton / McCann

Hopefully the club will bring in a 'new' player or two by next Saturday, however I am worried that the reality is that the only player we sign by then is a soon to be 36 year old Paul McGowan...

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Madness, he'd be an exceptional signing.

Based on how he was three years ago? I'm not even sure where we'd try and fit him in our current system, is he a Matty Todd backup? He won't be dynamic enough anymore to fill the KRH void. 

He was a great player, I'm not sure he is now.