Walking Down The Halbeath Road

27 minutes ago, SRB said:

Does a club of our size really need a sporting director though?

Other than arrange a glamour friendly with st Pauli what has meggle done in that role? Serious question? There’s not been any German players brought in, I know brexit was a major hold up in this but other teams seem to bring foreign players in.

Ultimately it’s mcpakes decision on the team and players he’s the manger. If him and cook are there full time let them deal with transfers. 

my gripe is that this has been such a slow window for the club, yes we have brought in previous loan players but the squad isn’t stronger than the end of last season. We’ve went up a league to hardest league in Scotland and running weaker than last season it will come and back to haunt us eventually 

But what’s wrong with having a Sporting Director? DAFC Fussball GmbH have invested significant money into the club and, in your opinion, should have no say/control in contract/transfer negotiations?

As Meggle has football experience, I think the Sporting Director role makes sense. Cook’s background is mainly in marketing/the commercial side of things. I’d imagine he’ll lean on Meggle and the others at times. It’s also unlikely Cook would even be at the club, were it not for Meggle and co. The old board even acknowledged that their lack of experience in football was an issue. Now we have someone experienced in football and you’re complaining.

Your last paragraph doesn’t tie in with all your rants about Meggle and how ridiculous it is that people who have invested a massive amount of money into the club are too involved for your liking. Your complaints have gone much deeper than just it’s been a ‘slow window’.

What’s Meggle done? Along with others, provided the investment to allow us to offer three year deals. He also then negotiated three year deals for:

Hamilton
McPake
Mackay
Todd
Mehmet
KRH (along with paying a fee)
Otoo (along with a fee)
Fisher (along with a fee)

Up until this last year, very few players stayed at this club beyond their initial contracts. People didn’t want to stay here. Now we actually seem to have players wanting to be here and enjoying being at the club.

In addition to that, they have also set up the academy. They haven’t misled us, this was always reported as a long term project towards being a self-sustaining club. They’ve not donated money to piss away gambling for  short term success/paying money to wasters who won’t add anything to the squad.

I don’t have a clue what goes on behind the scenes, but the manager and chairman seem to get on with Meggle. If McPake had an issue, he wouldn’t have signed a 3 year deal. Simple as that.

Honestly, I don’t know why I’ve wasted time going through this. It’s not worth it. You’ve clearly made your mind up and have an issue. Only thing unclear is whether your issue is just with Meggle, or with DAFC Fussball GmbH. 

Edited by CallumPar

I’ve just had a thought (second one today, I’ll need to have a wee lie doon noo) 

Maybe McPake is adopting the try before you buy method. He brought some young players in on loan and signed them the following season. 
Celtic have maybe twigged on and bumped a long term deal onto young summers expecting us to buy him next season 🤔

Why do so many folk assume Meggle is the one causing a delay? He might be, but then it might be Cook and/or McPake, or maybe there is no delay on the club's end. We don't know.

But it's clear some folk have a problem with Meggle and 'the Germans' in general and I'm unsure what or why.

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

Why do so many folk assume Meggle is the one causing a delay? He might be, but then it might be Cook and/or McPake, or maybe there is no delay on the club's end. We don't know.

But it's clear some folk have a problem with Meggle and 'the Germans' in general and I'm unsure what or why.

Completely agree.

McPake has openly said he’s very fussy with players. Attitude seems to be a massive thing for him. That could be the delay. Maybe he isn’t convinced by players that have been available.

Agents are also a nightmare. They will always be awkward and try and get the best deal for them (not even for the player, in a lot of cases). Wotherspoon’s agent is McNamara. Around 25% of players in that agency play for Airdrie (including the Airdrie player/manager).

Maybe the scouting team have been struggling? Maybe Cook hasn’t been signing off on the deals that McPake/Meggle want? Maybe players have failed medical? None of us know. So I don’t get why anyone is pinning the blame on one person, when there is zero evidence that they are to blame. As you say, some people clearly have an issue with Meggle and/or the rest of our investors.

Important also to point out that players will have a different idea of what they’re worth and we’ll make offers based on what we think they’re worth - not necessarily what we can afford, just based on what value we feel they would add to the squad. 

37 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I don’t get it either. 
I’m grateful that Ross McArthur knew his limitations and extremely thankful that the German guys were in the market for a football team, and chose the Pars. 
Ross could have done better with some of the club statements he made, but he clearly did his due diligence on our new owners, and I for one trust his judgment on this. 
The impression I get from our new German overlords is that they want toy to play with like many rich men would, but they are also business people that’ll want a return on their investment. They are speculating to accumulate without flinging flipping great wedges of cash in for instant success, they are happy to let the club sustain itself and evolve naturally into the best version of itself. 
All the investment into an academy will be coming from their own coffers. Then there’s the wage bill for Cook, let’s face he won’t be working for a pittance, add that to fees paid to buy in players. I doubt that’ll be covered by the club income alone.

I’m sure I read that the Germans were happy to wait until the our own academy was turning a profit before drawing their investment back, then being left with a club/toy that’s fully self sufficient for our entire community to enjoy 

Edited by Wacky

Dunfermline close to signing Moffat
Dunfermline are closing in on signing Blackpool forward Owen Moffat.

Sky Sports News understands a season-long loan deal is being finalised between the two clubs for the former Celtic player.

Sky stating he is a forward

1 minute ago, JPB16 said:

Dunfermline close to signing Moffat
Dunfermline are closing in on signing Blackpool forward Owen Moffat.

Sky Sports News understands a season-long loan deal is being finalised between the two clubs for the former Celtic player.

Sky stating he is a forward

Fair enough - they might know better than me. I’ve never seen him play.

Scott Burns reporting this too, he’s usually a reliable source.

3 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Why do we need that? 

Why not. We've lost two penalty box strikers. McCann is played wider and Wighton won't get the goals himself. Don't just take my opinion, not like McPake has Mumbongo and Jakubiak in training, both strikers so it must be something he wants.