Walking Down The Halbeath Road

15 hours ago, HoBNob said:

When the academy comes along, will we be a more attractive prospect than Hearts and Hibs who will be twenty minutes over the bridge at the highest level of youth football in the country? 

I don't really get this, the academy is already here, yes it's not fully based at Rosyth but we have an academy.

Not sure about Hearts but Hibs training is all in Tranent so not exactly right on our doorstep, FEFA produced some reasonable players Raith selling that guy Bowie for incredible amount of coin.

For me it needs to produce a sellable asset every other year and 2/3/4 players who can play at the level we are playing at to provide some competition and rotate the squad.

We won't see all 10/11 players making it but for note the Sutherland and Tod gene pool is providing plenty talent on its own.

29 minutes ago, 101 said:

I don't really get this, the academy is already here, yes it's not fully based at Rosyth but we have an academy.

Not sure about Hearts but Hibs training is all in Tranent so not exactly right on our doorstep, FEFA produced some reasonable players Raith selling that guy Bowie for incredible amount of coin.

For me it needs to produce a sellable asset every other year and 2/3/4 players who can play at the level we are playing at to provide some competition and rotate the squad.

We won't see all 10/11 players making it but for note the Sutherland and Tod gene pool is providing plenty talent on its own.

Strong agree.

Beyond the academy itself, having facilities we own, somewhere where all staff and players of all levels can be co-located, with a potential income stream from the community are surely also all benefits. Obviously, the challenge is ensuring it can be funded appropriately without being a drain on the club and that will hopefully come clear over the next few years.

39 minutes ago, 101 said:

One sellable asset plus several players capable of playing at this level is hugely ambitious.

41 minutes ago, 101 said:

Hearts are at the Oriam which is about 20 minutes away from Rosyth. 

Did Bowie not go for 150k? I'm not sure that's incredible which is part of my argument, having an academy costs a decent amount of money, Raith never got to see the full potential of Bowie or even really close to it, and the 150k they got from it would probably go straight back into the running costs of the academy, where does the benefit really come to the first team? 

I'm fully behind having a training ground, I'm totally not convinced at all in the benefits of the youth academy. 

I also think the way the owners have battered on with "Fans really want to see young home grown talent" what fans really want to see is there team winning. I'd put my eyebrows on it that Raith fans are perfectly happy with there squad this year, would they be happier if they were using Arnott, Mitchell, Hannah and Mason instead? Nae chance. 

I want the best possible team playing for Dunfermline on a Saturday, where they come from doesn't particularly matter to me. 

38 minutes ago, 101 said:

3 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

Hearts are at the Oriam which is about 20 minutes away from Rosyth. 

Did Bowie not go for 150k? I'm not sure that's incredible which is part of my argument, having an academy costs a decent amount of money, Raith never got to see the full potential of Bowie or even really close to it, and the 150k they got from it would probably go straight back into the running costs of the academy, where does the benefit really come to the first team? 

I'm fully behind having a training ground, I'm totally not convinced at all in the benefits of the youth academy. 

I also think the way the owners have battered on with "Fans really want to see young home grown talent" what fans really want to see is there team winning. I'd put my eyebrows on it that Raith fans are perfectly happy with there squad this year, would they be happier if they were using Arnott, Mitchell, Hannah and Mason instead? Nae chance. 

I want the best possible team playing for Dunfermline on a Saturday, where they come from doesn't particularly matter to me. 

The two of the three best players to come out of FEFA ended up with ourselves.

Bowie is Rovers through and through, and still contributes into our club through shirt sponsopship. He was always going to end up with us initially and we've benefited from that. It was our biggest fee for a good while for a lad who was only just 17 when we sold him. He's racking up goals in league 1 and for the Scottish under 21s but I don't think anyone expects him to break into the Fulham squad, let alone line up

Dylan Tait got sold to Hibs for a 6 figure sum and he specifically wanted to join Rovers due to McGlynn's track record at bringing through youths. With these projects, it all takes a bit of time - there's definitely talented players who have ended up with Dunfermline who could potentially go for fees.

For most clubs in Scotland now, if you're looking at youths you've got to be looking at players moving down South and have sell on clauses attached on to deals. Lads like McCann have all the physical attributes to be a success if they do move on. But you're looking at payoffs a good few years down the line. 

Yeah I agree this isn't something we will see massive benefits from within a year or two. It is a long term plan to build infrastructure into the club. 

The investors are by in large funding it are they not? The community use and sponsorship around that will cover some of the cost of running it.

Edited by Heaton

16 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

The two of the three best players to come out of FEFA ended up with ourselves.

I'd have Matthew Todd and Lewis McCann above Dylan Tait tbh. 

19 minutes ago, Heaton said:

Yeah I agree this isn't something we will see massive benefits from within a year or two. It is a long term plan to build infrastructure into the club. 

The investors are by in large funding it are they not? The community use and sponsorship around that will cover some of the cost of running it.

Hopefully they are only funding the initial development - it needs to pay for itself once established. 

31 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

One sellable asset plus several players capable of playing at this level is hugely ambitious.

I guess from last year Tod would have been seen as the sellable one however injuries have hampered his development and with Sutherland and his brother coming through hopefully they can compliment the squad.

The gap between McCann et Al coming through and this most recent bunch is probably more how it will work in practice which I guess allows you to break players in and not rush things. Once you have a club with a reputation of bringing young players on then I do think that will help however no one will care if you are in L2 so the whole thing needs balancing.

Who would be a football manager!

3 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

tried to sign eamon brophy according to mcpake in the courier

Just seen that! Decent ambition by the club, never know as the month goes on Ross Co might change their mind.

Good to read he's still after a defender and striker in this window.

How many times is this line going to get trotted out? Not sure it's a 'wow' factor we need rather someone who is fit and ready to play given our injury woes.

“I would not want massive changes.

“And that might not be the answer fans want to hear, because everybody gets excited by signings.

“We would rather bring in nobody than bring in somebody who isn’t going to come in and have that impact where you’d go ‘wow’.

“It certainly needs to be somebody who comes in and makes us a lot better. I know they can’t guarantee that but that’s why you are bringing them in.”

Edited by VinnyPar

21 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

tried to sign eamon brophy according to mcpake in the courier

If we can bring in players of that calibre, that would be excellent. Also worth noting he says we’re still after another defender and a striker. Here’s hoping we see a couple of arrivals soon.

Must have some slush fund for wages.

I assume we are using the fife card and just telling the docs that all these legs belong to one conjoined triplet

If trying to invest in young players doesn’t work immediately then some people will grumble and rather we invested the money in some shite journeyman for six months.

It’s the same folk who think we’re shite if we lose and great if we win; there’s absolutely no middle ground so not even worth trying to debate the issue.

4 hours ago, VinnyPar said:

How many times is this line going to get trotted out? Not sure it's a 'wow' factor we need rather someone who is fit and ready to play given our injury woes.

“I would not want massive changes.

“And that might not be the answer fans want to hear, because everybody gets excited by signings.

“We would rather bring in nobody than bring in somebody who isn’t going to come in and have that impact where you’d go ‘wow’.

“It certainly needs to be somebody who comes in and makes us a lot better. I know they can’t guarantee that but that’s why you are bringing them in.”

Tbf it was a quote from before the window opened, it's not like McPake has said it again. 

Good to hear that Fisher is back in contention tomorrow but a bit concerned how McCann seemed to be OK last week and is now 50/50 and feeling his hamstring again.  I  do question if our approach to these injuries.