Walking Down The Halbeath Road

5 hours ago, The Toun Clock said:

To be fair, Cammy Kerr is that more natural right back, probably better than Comrie. He might fancy him too if budget allowed…

I’m sure McPake has said he tried to sign Comrie for Dundee. Can’t imagine he’d have tried that, if he thought Kerr was a better RB. Maybe a better option at RWB than O’Halloran though, if Comrie’s needed in the back 3?

I’d be happy if we signed Rudden to be fair. Think he’d improve our attacking options. Did well in a poor Falkirk team at this level and did fairly well at Partick, I think.

1 hour ago, Chubbychops said:

Rudden scored 12 for Falkirk in 31 games and scored 14 in 36 games for Partick in this division. Not bad return at this level. It's about as good as we can get in a January window.

Yep, that's basically what I was going to reply: he has a good record in this league. He'll be better for the Premiership experience also. I think he would be a very good addition. Offers something different compared to the others as well, not just goals. He is a bit of a nuisance for defenders and awkward to deal with. 

1 hour ago, Chubbychops said:

Rudden scored 12 for Falkirk in 31 games and scored 14 in 36 games for Partick in this division. Not bad return at this level. It's about as good as we can get in a January window.

That season with Falkirk was almost five years ago, so I’m not sure how relevant it is now tbh?

Also, those Thistle figures are not even close to accurate. Can only assume you’ve included appearances and goals for Thistle while they were in L1?

19 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Yep, that's basically what I was going to reply: he has a good record in this league. He'll be better for the Premiership experience also. I think he would be a very good addition. Offers something different compared to the others as well, not just goals. He is a bit of a nuisance for defenders and awkward to deal with. 

What makes him “awkward to deal with” exactly?

In his last 56 Championship appearances, he’s scored 15 goals. If that counts as a good record in this league then the standards must be remarkably low.

47 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

In his last 56 Championship appearances, he’s scored 15 goals. If that counts as a good record in this league then the standards must be remarkably low.

I’ve not looked, but is Jakubiaks record any better? IMO, he is a handful for defenders at this level 

6 minutes ago, Wacky said:

I’ve not looked, but is Jakubiaks record any better? IMO, he is a handful for defenders at this level 

Probably not but doesn’t that sort of make my point for me?

There’s no point in us spending wages on a striker who is - at best - marginally better than the ones we already have. 

I think Rudden is fine at this level, my issue with him from his time with us was that he didn't score for ages then scored loads in a burst, rinse and repeat. In half a season you might not get the burst.

11 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Probably not but doesn’t that sort of make my point for me?

There’s no point in us spending wages on a striker who is - at best - marginally better than the ones we already have. 

Fair. But better none the less. 
you’re right though, we should be aiming for much better as opposed to marginally better. 
Sadly much better seems to evade us  

Edited by Wacky

Cards on the table I’d welcome the Rudden signing if it happens. His return of goals might not be record breaking but I think he seems like a more out and out striker compared to everything we have apart from Taylor Sutherland. Wighton is a winger turned striker who done very well in L1 but it hasn’t happened in the Championship. McCann can look great but I think he’s better wide of a three. Jakubiak is a good player, I think we can agree he’s actually decent at holding the ball up, involving others but he’s got two goals in a good number of games and they both came within about 5 minutes of each other.

I don’t think anyone is saying Rudden is the proven striker who’ll score all the goals to fire us to the promised land but he might just get a few more than the guys we have currently. As mentioned above, a striker who knows the league and has scored goals is hard to come by in January.

15 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

We are looking to get more depth in the squad so I would say getting a championship level striker in the door isn't pointless. Its another option if we're going to keep losing players to injury.

There's also not a lot of choice in the January window.

Dunfermline ladies were 3 up by half time and about a minute into the second half the match was abandoned after an opposition player had to wait for an ambulance to treat her. The Grand conspiracy theory continues!

Hope she is okay, looked a sore one.

29 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

We are looking to get more depth in the squad

We got rid of Todorov and O’Hara in the summer because McPake felt we had too many forwards. Now he’s gonna go back to having four again?

There isn’t always a lot of choice in January, that is true. Our recruitment efforts are seemingly limited to former Dundee players anyway, so there is never much selection to choose from.

4 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

We got rid of Todorov and O’Hara in the summer because McPake felt we had too many forwards. Now he’s gonna go back to having four again?

Yeah. Dave McKay said we were after a striker.

The plan at the start of the season was to go with a small squad but it's bitten us on the arse due to injuries, so they must've had a change of heart on the number of strikers we're running with.

2 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

A reasonable record for a striker at this level is 10 goals a season. There aren't that many who dramatically beat that,  I think only shankland, nisbet and dobbie have got over 15 goals a season in about a decade.

15 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

A reasonable record for a striker at this level is 10 goals a season. There aren't that many who dramatically beat that,  I think only shankland, nisbet and dobbie have got over 15 goals a season in about a decade.

Brian Graham scored 18 (inc playoffs) last season and 10 already this season. Akinyemi scored 20 last season and Simon Murray scored 15.

Might get boo’d off for this but I’m a bit of a rugby fan, nothing too serious, Six Nations mainly. Just noticed that one of Scotland's best wingers has pulled out of the first two games due to injury, only to be replaced by Ross McCann, the older brother of Pars striker Lewis. Two professional footballers, capped at international level and an international rugby player. Not bad genes there! Had no idea Lewis had another brother, let alone one that is a Scotland/Edinburgh rugby player.

5 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

Might get boo’d off for this but I’m a bit of a rugby fan, nothing too serious, Six Nations mainly. Just noticed that one of Scotland's best wingers has pulled out of the first two games due to injury, only to be replaced by Ross McCann, the older brother of Pars striker Lewis. Two professional footballers, capped at international level and an international rugby player. Not bad genes there! Had no idea Lewis had another brother, let alone one that is a Scotland/Edinburgh rugby player.

Though conversely the rugby one has clearly decided he is Scottish as following his brothers in being Irish in the rugby world would make him less likely to get a cap.