Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Plenty defensive cover, that's really heartening to hear. Don't count on Breen or Bene being available rest of the season, so very happy. As said can get Hammy and Otoo into our bleak midfield. 

Hopefully the young striker is a real life FM wonderkid and we manage to lay off plenty opportunities for him. 

The Jamaican Lewis Martin looks a good addition. Good to get the striker in too. Sure we’d have kept Todorov if McPake had known how much trouble he’d face bringing in replacements. Sure he said his top three striker targets all signed for top tier teams. 

20 hours ago, WestHibee said:

One small piece of gossip today for Pars fans. I believe former NZ Captain Tommy Smith has turned down the chance to join on a short term loan until the end of the season from MK Dons. Ex Ipswich and Colorado Rapids CB was keen to move north but wanted a permanent deal but the Pars only wanted a short term loan

Are we all just accepting this at face value?

Absolutely random comment on an online forum that hasn't been reported on anywhere that I can see.

17 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

Rejected a 6 figure bid from Barnsley for Edwards yesterday

Just seen that. Courier also confirming that we’ve activated the extension, so he has 18 months left on his contract.

edit - don’t think it was yesterday, reading the article. Just says it was this week and Barnsley have since moved on to sign Josh Earl.

Edited by CallumPar

36 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Are we all just accepting this at face value?

Absolutely random comment on an online forum that hasn't been reported on anywhere that I can see.

Just been picked up by Courier too.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/4884684/dunfermline-fc-reject-bid-josh-edwards-barnsley/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

probably because it was so out there and unprompted it felt like it had a bit of truth about it.

19 minutes ago, parsboi said:

Just been picked up by Courier too.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/4884684/dunfermline-fc-reject-bid-josh-edwards-barnsley/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

probably because it was so out there and unprompted it felt like it had a bit of truth about it.

Can't read that as it's behind the ad blocker, but if it mentions the NZ lad then fair enough.

15 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

If true it must show the club can't be struggling that bad financially to turn down a 6 figure sum.

This can't be right. We have seven figures losses...

I don’t know if this will work, but here’s a copy and paste 

Dunfermline rejected six-figure bid from English club for key defender ahead of transfer deadline

Left-back Josh Edwards was a target for League One side Barnsley.

by Iain Collin
Updated February 2 2024, 9:32am
Dunfermline Athletic manager James McPake.
Dunfermline Athletic manager James McPake. Image: SNS.

Dunfermline have booted out a six-figure bid for defender Josh Edwards.

The left-back was the subject of an offer from Barnsley in the final week of the transfer window.

But the Pars knocked back the approach from the English League One club.

Edwards is seen as a crucial member of the East End Park team and it is understood the board flatly turned down the bid.

Defender Josh Edwards stretches his arms during a game for Dunfermline Athletic.
Josh Edwards has been a key player for Dunfermline. Image: Ross Parker / SNS Group.

The wing-back still has 18 months to go at Dunfermline after the Fifers activated the option of an extra year on his deal, which was due to expire at the end of the campaign.

The 23-year-old is currently in his fifth season at Dunfermline, having joined the club for an ‘undisclosed fee’ in 2019 from Airdrie.

former Kilmarnock trainee, Edwards has made 165 appearances for the Pars and could now attract more interest at the end of the season as he enters the final 12 months of his agreement.

Barnsley have since snapped up Josh Earl – a left-sided defender – from fellow League One side Fleetwood Town on a three-and-a-half-year deal.

The decision to reject the offer for Edwards will have delighted manager James McPake given his defensive issues in recent weeks.

DAFC defensive options

Long-term injuries have hit the Fifers rearguardhard in recent times and left them without the services of skipper Kyle Benedictus, Rhys Breen and Aaron Comrie.

Sam Fisher has also spent time on the sidelines thanks to two worrying concussions.

It left McPake desperately trying to beef up his defensive options before the transfer window closed on Thursday night.

Malachi Fagan-Walcott arrived on loan from Cardiff City on January 12 and he was joined by Bluebirds team-mate Xavier Benjamin just 15 minutes before the deadline.

It is understood discussions did take place with MK Dons defender Tommy Smith, the New Zealand internationalist and former Ipswich Town centre-half, but the parties failed to reach a deal.

More from Football

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

11 minutes ago, Rammit Bawdeep said:

Heard McPake wants to sign Cardle, Cardle wants to sign and is not looking for big money but this has been blocked by Cook.

He would purely be a squad filler and off field support  but if it was for little cash then hard to see why not. 

Unlike many I'm not fussed either way. I wasn't a kid during his hayday with us, being of a more senior age group now, but was a fan of him and would be happy to see it happen

The club will probably have to sell Edwards at some point unfortunately or it will get to the stage he'll leave for free.

Could see bids for him in the summer.

45 minutes ago, Rammit Bawdeep said:

Heard McPake wants to sign Cardle, Cardle wants to sign and is not looking for big money but this has been blocked by Cook.

My Pars heroes date back further than Joe Cardle tbh, so not fussed about this nostalgic nonsense coming to fruition. I would rather be brought Ross Jack in on the cheap.

There is very little appetite from the board/owners to be signing anbody over the age of 23 I think. This kind of deal, no matter how cheap is really not up their street.

9 minutes ago, Well over Par said:

Fee was rumoured to be £150k. If they decide to listen to offers in the summer it won’t be much different ? Had we not had so many injuries he could well have been sold, assuming he wanted to go to Barnsley

not a holiday destination is it ?

As Georgi Hristov once told me, the burds in Barnsley are awful.

If Josh has a great end to this season we may well be commanding a much bigger fee than offered. 

I love Josh Edwards, I'm sure he'll go on to bigger and better things than the Pars but by Christ he needs to work on that final ball, it's not even bad at times, it's brutal. Either out for a throw on the far side or it goes out for a goal kick before it's crossed the edge of the box.