Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Summers did well against Rovers on 2nd January. He shouldn't have played against QP on the Friday after as he couldn't move - still scored a better though.

We then had 3 weeks off and then he played 89 minutes at Tannadice.

So, he's not hit the heights of the Morton game in September and he's had injury trouble but he's not fallen off a cliff form-wise for a prolonged period.

Edited by DA-go Par Adonis

Deniz, Comrie, Breen, Chalmers, MOH, Wighton all under contract next year and I would cut loose all of them if we could. Not much wriggle room due to being too generous with two year deals in the summer

I've got concerns that we might lose Otoo, Todd and Edwards over the summer too. That the thing with bringing young prospects in and selling on. It's hard to build a team when selling guys on is part of the plan.

I wouldn't bother trying to bring Moffat or Summers back. Too lightweight and offer nothing when we're up against it. 

I like Jakubiak, wouldn't be adverse to keeping him. McCann is on a 3 year deal, so he's going nowhere. Maybe loan him out for 6 months for some time away. He was looking good the first 2-3 months of the season but has been awful since before Xmas.

Still too early to judge Benjamin, Holmes and MFW. MFW seems to be the one making the biggest impact though. Maybe see a deal thrown his way in the summer. There's something about Holmes that makes me think he might end up being decent. Benjamin not so much was please see him have a good second half on Friday and get a goal. He's taken a bit of stick since arriving.

Edited by Chubbychops

1 hour ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

Summers did well against Rovers on 2nd January. He shouldn't have played against QP on the Friday after as he couldn't move - still scored a better though.

We then had 3 weeks off and then he played 89 minutes at Tannadice.

So, he's not hit the heights of the Morton game in September and he's had injury trouble but he's not fallen off a cliff form-wise for a prolonged period.

I'd say he's fallen off a cliff the last 3 games tbh, he might look alright when things are going your way but he's looked like a stereotypical old firm loanee where things aren't going his way so he's chucked it. 

Telling that he wasn't brought on against Partick. 

I'd put moffat ahead of summers right now in that role.

If we continue the same system and todd's rehab goes to plan I think both are going to see limited game time. He's so far ahead of them and once up and running he'll be someone you'll play for 90 minutes. 

I would consider them the mahon/mochrie of this years squad,  not bad loan players as such, but not enough that makes you desperate that we'll bring them in permanently over the summer.  

Fagon-walcott has a bit to do still but current trajectory has him as maybe a contract option,  holmes if he gets a run and shows himself capable of putting together what he's showed in flashes may also be offered a deal.

Edited by parsforlife

45 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

I'd say he's fallen off a cliff the last 3 games tbh, he might look alright when things are going your way but he's looked like a stereotypical old firm loanee where things aren't going his way so he's chucked it. 

Telling that he wasn't brought on against Partick. 

So you agree he's not fallen off a cliff for a prolonged period?

He's 19 and has been part of a struggling side in the last 3 games he played. Before that, he looked like a player.

Also, our last couple of Old Firm loanees have done well. 

Edited by DA-go Par Adonis

25 minutes ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

So you agree he's not fallen off a cliff for a prolonged period?

He's 19 and has been part of a struggling side in the last 3 games he played. Before that, he looked like a player.

Also, our last couple of Old Firm loanees have done well. 

Agreed. I forget he's only 19 to be honest. Summers' potential ceiling is much higher than Moffat IMO and for that reason I'd consider him longer term, but don't think he can expect to play every week and can't be relied upon like we have. Give him 2 years to develop and he could be excellent. Would be a good acid test for how good we are at developing younger talent... with right coaching I genuinely think he could be an excellent player. For now though he's a luxury and cannot be expected to carry some of this team. 

Summers just signed a new deal at Celtic before we got him in loan. He isn't going to be staying and so it would be a new loan next season if anything.

MFW was reported by the club as a summer 24 target brought in early and is out contract in the summer, so there's every chance we offer him a deal. 

I'd take Moffat. Also young and developing and a decent prospect. Not sure if he's available either though. 

Benjamin was Cardif young player of the year. Perhaps he's struggling to adapt to the game here and has been chucked into some big and toxic home games. We'll see how he pans out.

As pointed put though, signing to sell does mean we will lose players who could be a big part of the team. We need to get the balance and have others perhaps not first team ready, but on the fringe and hopefully ready to step in as others move. All these young players are still developing and typically would be given time.

On that note, I'm surprised we've not seen more of Miller Fenton, who is now 20.

I guess it might be that he can only play left back/LWB and Edwards has been fit all season.  Looked OK when he came on at QP though, so would have thought he might have been tried as a left centre back.

Personally if there's any chance to continue developing Summers through a loan deal next season I'd take it. 
He's shown promise, and there's a good few players I'd consider getting rid before him, or Moffat for that matter. Whether we get the chance to loan them again ofc remains to be seen.

A lot more responsibility has been put on Summers and Moffat's shoulders than was intended, given the squad issues we've had. They haven't always gotten pass marks, but they have done some of the time and some individual quality from both of them has dragged us to results in previous games. Some criticism is fair sure, but I feel like 1 or 2 assessments of them I've seen here (and have heard in EEP for that matter) have seemed a little harsh, imo.

As I say, there are a few other players in this team, that there has been plenty discussion on already, who's standards are far more concerning than those two.

37 minutes ago, Andriy_Parmolenko said:

Personally if there's any chance to continue developing Summers through a loan deal next season I'd take it. 
He's shown promise, and there's a good few players I'd consider getting rid before him, or Moffat for that matter. Whether we get the chance to loan them again ofc remains to be seen.

A lot more responsibility has been put on Summers and Moffat's shoulders than was intended, given the squad issues we've had. They haven't always gotten pass marks, but they have done some of the time and some individual quality from both of them has dragged us to results in previous games. Some criticism is fair sure, but I feel like 1 or 2 assessments of them I've seen here (and have heard in EEP for that matter) have seemed a little harsh, imo.

As I say, there are a few other players in this team, that there has been plenty discussion on already, who's standards are far more concerning than those two.

I don't know about that. I think with the outlay for Summers, he'd have been expected to be an integral player in the team. Showed flashes but not enough for me.

Summers looked a player in the first three months of the season. I’d have him back and then you can manage his game time and let him learn the game without having to play every week in a struggling side. 

Comrie has a medial injury so will be  fit for the start of pre season 

I like Jakubiak. Him and Kane could be a handful for defenders. 

Edwards will be sold in the summer. Think a gentleman’s agreement in place ?

Could really do with a new goalie. Sorry but don’t rate Mehmet 

need an option for our captain. Not sure how well he can come back from two long spells. Gets harder as you get older and likely he will have lost a yard 

Would like upgrades on McCann Allan Chalmers MOH and Breen but doubt we can move them on 

not seen enough of the Cardiff boys to judge 

Moffat I’d keep. Can do some damage as a sub and he won’t be on big money 

wighton looks like he will be able to just play and not train. That’s a hard gig 

The keeper situation is a tough one. Decent keepers can be hard to come by and we've got Deniz for another 2 seasons at least after this one. I was for letting him go and replacing him with Jamie Macdonald but he can't even get in the Morton team anymore and didn't look to clever when we beat them in November so I don't get them all right (just most of them). 

10 minutes ago, Wacky said:

https://dafc.net/forum/read.php?f=1&i=1923808&t=1923808

jings! He must have caused a major problem within the squad if this is true? 

Rovers fans were on this thread last week (after signing Ashcroft) touting Millen to us, because of his fallout with Murray. If he’s released, he can’t sign for anyone until the summer. Would have to be a loan deal and I don’t think we’d have any interest in him.