Walking Down The Halbeath Road

16 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Grim that we're apparently so reliant on an injury prone loan player whose top goal return in a season is 10.

I think it's clear that he brings more than goals to the team though. He brings others into play and keeps the ball well. We seem to play for longer in the final 3rd when he's playing. I think he's a really good player at this level that most sides in this league would want in their starting 11 every week.

Just now, DA Baracus said:

Who is supposed to be scoring the goals?

I think Kane will get goals. He's been in the top division for the last 6-7 years. Quite common for players to find scoring goals easier when dropping a division. Also think he could help Matty Todd score goals too.

30 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Grim that we're apparently so reliant on an injury prone loan player whose top goal return in a season is 10.

For me the biggest issue I have with this, is that we signed Kane halfway through February. 

It's not exactly news to Pars fans, but does that mean the first 6 months of our season were a write off because we didn't have a striker? 

I'm not disagreeing that he's a good player, but I think people are overstating how good, and how important he is. We've all been guilty (I certainly have) of thinking "When *insert player* gets back we'll be fine". It's happened with Bene, Todd, KRH etc and we still don't look any better going forward. 

It's a damming indictment on the state of our squad that we only have one striker, and he was signed in February ffs. 

I'm not even sure it's the overall squad that's the issue. The tactics are woeful. Pass the ball side to side before a fairly aimless punt in to the box. We've had your number this season because Murray recognised this and set us up to let you do it, knowing we had the quality to go and get a goal on the counter. It's not dissimilar to how we struggled with mcglynn when teams figured his tactics out. Hosler didn't look great against us but I seen him against Arbroath? Where he got injured again and up until that point he did look a good player. Why he's been played at rwb, same as ohalloran is beyond me. You've got the players to be doing better but injuries on top of the poor tactics are not helping you one bit. 

13 minutes ago, grumswall said:

I'm not even sure it's the overall squad that's the issue. The tactics are woeful. 

Correct. 

Well at least that's what I beleive, and it's what I was getting at in the original post. 

7 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

Correct. 

Well at least that's what I beleive, and it's what I was getting at in the original post. 

I'll jump on this too and agree. It's too cautious.

Attack seems to be an after thought. I also refer back a couple years to Meggle calling attack as the ''salt in the soup'' when he was defending Peter Grant. It seems to be in our culture around the club to regard attack as a finishing touch to a team rather than a very important part of winning games.

This is why I see Kane as such an important player for us, as he is able to keep the ball up the park for us when we are such a negative, safe team.

16 hours ago, Rammit Bawdeep said:

Caley possibly going into admin may be a saving grace for us (unfortunately for ICT)

I know football fans will cling to any hope of survival at the highest level they can attain, but I’d hate us to survive at the expense of another team’s demise (naturally if this happens then so be it) 

I don’t think I’ll ever forget that day in Kirkcaldy when we were potentially playing our last game ever, the sight of looking through my tear filled eyes at other Pars fans with watery eyes will never leave me. I’ve never felt an atmosphere like that in all my years as a football fan, and I don’t wish it on the ICT faithful. 
Here’s hoping we both survive our respective woes  

1 hour ago, Wacky said:

I know football fans will cling to any hope of survival at the highest level they can attain, but I’d hate us to survive at the expense of another team’s demise (naturally if this happens then so be it) 

I don't think anyone wants Inverness to die. 

But if they were to go into admin and that was to save us? I'd take that. 

Likewise if all 9 teams in the Championship hit the skids and we finished top by default? Ach that'd be fine. 

Best of luck to Inverness, great city, but I hope they finish in the bottom two one way or another, cheers. 

All fans want is responsible people carrying out a responsible job for their club. Successful business people doesn't = successful club tenure ship. That is an undeniable fact. 

I hope ICT survive, and I hope we turn the corner and survive in this league, stop the habit of consecutive seasons reporting losses. 

For anyone interested, if you jump over to the EEB forum, there is a pretty good rundown of last nights supporters meeting. I think it was for members of supporters clubs etc hence why no open invite.

Decent read and should hopefully add some meat to the bones and put some rumours to bed about missing out on guys for the sake of £100pw etc.

Supporters Meeting 14/03/24 - The East End Bounce - East End Bounce - The Independent Pars Fans Forum

On 01/02/2024 at 12:59, WestHibee said:

One small piece of gossip today for Pars fans. I believe former NZ Captain Tommy Smith has turned down the chance to join on a short term loan until the end of the season from MK Dons. Ex Ipswich and Colorado Rapids CB was keen to move north but wanted a permanent deal but the Pars only wanted a short term loan

26 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

For anyone interested, if you jump over to the EEB forum, there is a pretty good rundown of last nights supporters meeting. I think it was for members of supporters clubs etc hence why no open invite.

Decent read and should hopefully add some meat to the bones and put some rumours to bed about missing out on guys for the sake of £100pw etc.

Supporters Meeting 14/03/24 - The East End Bounce - East End Bounce - The Independent Pars Fans Forum

Depends if you can fully trust everything Cook says, there's a few points that I'm dubious about which can be disputed through other sources available (Spfl prize money and the xG stat). When you get to the stage of dispelling rumours you're trusting that he's being more honest about the Tommy Smith situation than say the first quoted poster is. 

There's some good stuff in there with things to be optimistic about, but I'm not quite at the stage with Cook where I reckon you can just take everything he says as gospel. As opposed to say Ross MacArthur, who for any faults he may have had at picking managers, you could trust everything he was saying was to the best of his knowledge, truthful and honest. 

27 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Last season our prize money for league position was 149k.

5th in the championship was 299k, 8th 239k.

Got to take VAT off the £149k, which makes the amount £124k. This is something a lot of people forget when looking at ticket prices etc too.

1 minute ago, CallumPar said:

Got to take VAT off the £149k, which makes the amount £124k. This is something a lot of people forget when looking at ticket prices etc too.

Fair point. 

Also worth pointing out that 5th place in the Championship also gets charged VAT so it still wouldn't be three times as much. 

It's small things, but why say it? 

4 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

Fair point. 

Also worth pointing out that 5th place in the Championship also gets charged VAT so it still wouldn't be three times as much. 

It's small things, but why say it? 

I must have missed the 3 times as much comment, sorry I thought it was the amount being disputed. Yes, it’s complete nonsense to suggest that 5th in championship gets 3x as much.

It’s not a good look to lie about these things, that can be easily disproved. Makes it very hard to trust what he says.

18 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

I must have missed the 3 times as much comment, sorry I thought it was the amount being disputed. Yes, it’s complete nonsense to suggest that 5th in championship gets 3x as much.

It’s not a good look to lie about these things, that can be easily disproved. Makes it very hard to trust what he says.

Aye, from the very good summary by Digs on the EEB forum (Not sure if he's posts on here but he does a very fine job of getting everything jotted down). As you say, when you can disprove some of the things Cook says, it becomes very difficult to trust him fully on other issues. 

"Last year we were relegated and even winning the league didn't give us much back - £120k for winning the league. The gap in the championship is huge though, mid-table finish in this league is treble that" 

2 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Last season our prize money for league position was 149k.

5th in the championship was 299k, 8th 239k.

Where did you see that break down

If the % share is the same for 5th then think it should be closer to £350,000?

As as far as I can tell the last time the SPFL published their prize pot (in 2018)breakdown it was 1% of the pot for 5th and the pot. I think the prize fund with the last year of Cinch participation is £35m

Morton got £371,000 according to the Edinburgh Evening news which includes TV money last year, which would kind of point to that, however I could have missed a massive game on TV they landed.

I think it's ridiculous the SPFL don't publish this every year, unless they do and I can't see it.