Walking Down The Halbeath Road

4 minutes ago, VinnyPar said:

We played in a 5 the whole game, as we did against United. Not sure why people think otherwise? MWH has been playing RCB.

KRH at RWB against United? Not how I thought he was playing and not how they were doing their defensive drills in the pre match warm up either.

I'm the same as TTC could have sworn it was 4-3-3 against United.

1 minute ago, 101 said:

KRH at RWB against United? Not how I thought he was playing and not how they were doing their defensive drills in the pre match warm up either.

I'm the same as TTC could have sworn it was 4-3-3 against United.

We played 4-2-3-1, KRH was not playing as a wing back

I wonder if they switch between the shape depending on press triggers / team in possession. Either way, whatever they are doing is working.

I'm just glad McPake seems to be changing things around now. He has been dealt an incredibly shit hand with injuries this season so fingers crossed everyone keeps healthy for the final games and see where we get to.

Edited by VinnyPar

1 minute ago, Islay said:

We played 4-2-3-1, KRH was not playing as a wing back

Just now, Heaton said:

Aye absolutely no way KRH was RWB v United. It was a back 4. I can't comment on yesterday not being there and based solely in my hungover viewing of the highlights

Agreed. Definitely back four against Utd, I did watch the stream yesterday and it looked the same until Fisher came on for Welch-Hayes and they put him in as another centre half and pulled KRH back slightly. 

Agree to disagree on the United game I suppose but being at the game yesterday Hayes was definitely playing in the right of a 3, with fisher being a straight swap when he got injured.

I would say it was a transitional 4/5 vs dundee united. 

Against Morton it was very much a back 3. Ok MWH occasional went forward and fisher didn’t but that was mainly due to us being camped in whilst fisher was on 

I can be as guilty as anyone else but I think we are too comfortable with tying to force tactics into nice numbers when they are much more flexible than that. 

Edited by parsforlife

Against United, I think it was a back 5. KRH and Edwards were hugging the touchline, with Welch-Hayes playing a bit further inside. Was a bit more like last season’s back 5, where the RCB (Comrie last year) would almost play as a RB at times and make runs beyond KRH and give him an option. Made it look a bit like a 4 when we had the ball, but when we were set up defensively, Welch-Hayes was too central to be a RB.

Saturday was definitely a back 5. Played a bit deeper and KRH had a lot more defensive work to do than he did v United, so it was much more obvious he was at wing back.

Should probably add, it’s nice that the debate is “what formation did we play?” rather than asking if McPake should go, or people debating who the weakest link is.

It's great to have Bene, KRH and Todd back fully fit. I'll admit, I'd started to doubt how influential their presence was, but the difference in the team has been huge. Particularly now we've been able to put Hamilton and Otoo in midfield - which has been just as crucial as getting those 3 back on the park.

Two good wins in the last 2 games for different reasons. Was nice to put in a good performance and win v United. But it felt really good to grind out a hard-fought win, with everyone doing their jobs defensively against Morton. It's the Scottish Championship, that's how you need to win games. MFW must be one of our top targets for the summer, I think he’s been outstanding lately.

Edited by CallumPar

Aye the expectations of most of us for those two games would have been low in terms of getting points. To get 6 is fantastic. Now we need to back it up by beating Abroath and keeping some momentum going.

4th looks a bit of an ask looking at the games in hand Airdrie have and who they're against. But I said myself 5th or mid table and pushing for a playoff would be a good season. Mental if that ends up being the case as it certainly wasn't good for a long while. 

Edited by Heaton

39 minutes ago, Heaton said:

Aye the expectations of most of us for those two games would have been low in terms of getting points.

I’m going to be honest, 3 weeks ago I’d have said that the 3 we’ve just played were the toughest games we had left. To get 6 points from them is a great effort. There will obviously be tough games and some challenges to overcome between now and the end of the season. There are very few games that are ‘easy’ in this league.

Ironically, Dundee United 10 days ago was one of the ‘easiest’ games we’ve had this season, despite them being league leaders. Likewise, we probably gave Morton their easiest game so far, but they lost the other 3 against us. We’ll need to get a few more wins/performances like Saturday to see us safely in mid-table come the end of the season.

Its nice to start to be able to look up the table instead of down constantly but in this league a 1 or 2 bad results and other games not going your way means you are back in the relegation playoff mixer again so we need to be careful we dont get sucked in.

We might sneak 4th but theres allot of ifs and buts in there with airdrie with 2 games in hand. We really need them to drop points in quite a few games and we would need to beat them through there I reckon. We did it earlier in the season so it is possible. Plus all the other teams just behind us might put a run together and sneak 4th. 

Class league at times for how close it is. Everyone has something to play for with maybe the exception of Arbroath(sorry folks I think you are down) and partick are probably ok for a playoff spot now. Everyone else could be in either playoffs at the top or bottom still.

Edited by Fifes Elite Force

1 hour ago, VinnyPar said:

Raith and Arbroath, both away from home.

That Raith Vs Airdrie one should be good. By that time they'll have played Utd and if they get a win I think it'll propel them to the title, however Airdrie are their bogey team with a lot to play for. What goes, Raith's title chance or Airdrie's hold over them?

5 hours ago, CallumPar said:

It's great to have Bene, KRH and Todd back fully fit. I'll admit, I'd started to doubt how influential their presence was, but the difference in the team has been huge. Particularly now we've been able to put Hamilton and Otoo in midfield - which has been just as crucial as getting those 3 back on the park.

I'll admit I was a bit sceptical at the start of the season about Otoo in midfield. Partly because he looked so good at LCB in the back three, so I thought why not just keep him there. But him and Hamilton have been superb and I couldn't agree more with this. 

POTY will be weird this season with so many in and out the team. But I can't see past the pair of them to be picking up most of the awards. 

34 minutes ago, par-adise said:

POTY will be weird this season with so many in and out the team. But I can't see past the pair of them to be picking up most of the awards. 

I'm not 100% sure of the age limit for YPOTY but I'd imagine Otoo will take the main prize. However, I wouldn't be shocked to see Hammy land POTY and Otoo then taking the YPOTY because they've been the two most consistent players. The reason I mention the age limit is because I often forget how young Hammy is (still only 22) so I wondered if he would qualify.

Looking at the squad list, the guys who've returned recently are having good impact but they've missed so much I think it would be unfair on Hammy and Otoo.