Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Think Big Country can sum up this season best:

"Another promise fallen through 

another season passes by you"

Glad to see the end of it and it's good to have a break. By the time it comes around again we'll be missing it!

I'm already buzzing to take 12 points off that idiot McGlynn next year.

Boy couldn't manage his way out a wet paper bag.

2 minutes ago, 101 said:

Reckon Falkirk are absolutely going to finish above us tbh. They'll look at next year as a great chance of promotion and their summer recruitment will reflect that. 

Our board/manager will be flummoxed that a club getting promoted from League One hasn't set there sights on the heady heights of avoiding relegation. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 101 said:

penguins GIF

McGlynn family celebrating the league win 

Edited by Wacky

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, HoBNob said:

Reckon Falkirk are absolutely going to finish above us tbh. They'll look at next year as a great chance of promotion and their summer recruitment will reflect that. 

I'm sure our fans said the same about Falkirk at the start of last season. That ended well.

Edited by da_no_1

34 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:

I'm sure our fans said the same about Falkirk at the start of last season. That ended well.

Aye we did finish above them last season, but then we also finished 20 odd points ahead of Airdrie. 

Football moves quickly, I'd imagine if you canvassed both sets of fans with regards to how happy and optimistic they are for next season they'd feel pretty confident and with fairly good reason. 

I don't rate McGlynn in the slightest, and he's also a downright weirdo but it's not like you need an incredible manager to get promoted from this tier. 

Posted (edited)

Most, if not all, teams in the Championship will consider that they have a shot at the title. Only if a second League 1 team comes up would they be the ones who probably wouldn't.

However, the Championship is definitely a significant step up from League 1. You'll be up against (for the most part) much higher quality and standard in most games. You (usually) can't get away with some performances in League 1 where you grind out a win or draw. In saying that though of course Falkirk will make signings (they've already made one) and have a different squad. A long way of saying that they could challenge for the league, playoffs, mid table or be fighting to avoid 9th. Next season will surely be the most open Championship in many years.

Anyway, whilst we finished 6th, we were only 3 points from finishing 9th. With a fully fit squad for most of the season could we have finished top four? Possibly. However it wouldn't have been enough to challenge for the title. I'm still worried that we won't make the big chances needed.

Don't want to hear the utter pish about the board not supporting McPake. We made 13 signings this season. When did we last make that many? In addition it was reporter that we tried to sign others, most notably Wotherspoon and Brophy.

Edited by DA Baracus

I think Falkirk will finish above us too. I think their squad this season is pretty comparable to ours last season, with us having the edge in goal, probably centre back and full back and the manager. They probably have a better midfield and up front. And scoring goals was our biggest problem this season, whereas Airdrie outscored us last season and finished in the top 4. They have some players who will be decent in the Championship (Lang, Spencer, Morrison, Miller) and the interesting thing will be if they can get a decent goalkeeper and if McIver can make the step up. Just hope it's not another Raith scenario and we lose all 4 to them... 

Posted (edited)

Joel Nouble and Bruce Anderson* out of contract at Livingston.

Two guys I'd be very pleased to see as Pars players next season.

However they won't be short of bids, including from Livingston and possibly from some Premiership clubs.

*Enjoyed his brief loan spell at us a few years ago.

Edited by DA Baracus

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

However they won't be short of bids, including from Livingston and possibly from some Premiership clubs.

I'd have them both at Dens and we finished top 6. You're in dream land.

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I'd have them both at Dens and we finished top 6. You're in dream land.

Yup, as I said I imagine they'd have plenty of bids and Dundee would blow us out of the water in such a scenario

6 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

You're obviously joking thinking Pars could afford these guys 😆 

Our Board aren't in a position to be splashing that kind of cash. 

So best lower your expectations.

1 hour ago, North West said:

You're obviously joking thinking Pars could afford these guys 😆 

Our Board aren't in a position to be splashing that kind of cash. 

So best lower your expectations.

Maybe those guys are a stretch for us to sign up, but I along with quite a few others never thought we could sign KRH and Otoo. 
I know we are in a world of debt already and are set for the figures looking even worse for this season, but unlike many I don’t think our sugar daddies will walk away. Business people will know you have to speculate to accumulate, and judging by the small amount I’ve read about these guys, the frightening amount of money spent so far will hardly make a dent in their collective bank balance. 
Once we have the training facilities fully functioning we’ll hopefully look like a whale in a goldfish bowl to prospective signings and decent academy players. This is what the new guys taking over have said they are looking for to start getting a return on their investment. That along with my belief that Ross wouldn’t have sold the Pars fans a pile of shite just to unload the club he has worked so hard to save off to anyone. 
Anyway, I digress here, we simply don’t know who could end up signing for us, we must surely be an attractive option for some players we would never believe we could sign? 

MFW heading home without a contract would be hugely disappointing for no other reason than us having to spend time and money thinking about a replacement. I was hoping we'd be focused on adding talent rather than replacing. This is the risk with loans I guess. He is replaceable though. 

On the basis that strengthening the squad will probably require cash flow, I'd be cashing in on Edwards if the price is right. 

I'm not overly keen on Welch Hayes and I'm not expecting Kane to sign, which only underlines the job McPake faces this summer. About 5 or 6 new faces needed, and good quality too, and that probably requires current squad players to be moved on. 

As ever, Championship is going to be tough next year, with a lot of intense games that will demand a stronger character than we've shown this season. I'd be very happy with a strong top 4 but McPake has his work cut out IMO. 

16 hours ago, da_no_1 said:

I'm sure they'll think they can romp the championship with the squad they have now. We'll see.

The additions to the squad we finished well ahead of in L1 all have a very average record at championship level.

4 hours ago, par-adise said:

The additions to the squad we finished well ahead of in L1 all have a very average record at championship level.

Sounds familiar doesn't it?