Walking Down The Halbeath Road

That's the friendlies over for pre season, probably our toughest set of friendlies I've ever known, Bundasliga II, 2 premiership teams and Cove.

I wasn't there yesterday but the Saint Johnstone game was enjoyable, could do with a body or 2 in this week in preparation for Raith.

Left sided attacking midfielder an obvious gap, can see any loans being offered on players until the league campaign proper starts.

22 minutes ago, 101 said:

That's the friendlies over for pre season, probably our toughest set of friendlies I've ever known, Bundasliga II, 2 premiership teams and Cove.

I wasn't there yesterday but the Saint Johnstone game was enjoyable, could do with a body or 2 in this week in preparation for Raith.

Left sided attacking midfielder an obvious gap, can see any loans being offered on players until the league campaign proper starts.

Still got the anual Alloa match to play on Tuesday.

1 hour ago, 101 said:

Have we not got Alloa on Tuesday? Probably won’t be a particularly strong Pars team to be fair.

Been to the 3 home friendlies and I think everyone’s looked like they could be useful - including a couple of the youngsters that have come on. Yesterday was McGowan’s best performance.

It seems clear that Benedictus, Hamilton and Todd will (unsurprisingly) be hugely important players for us this season and keeping them fit will be crucial. I also think that McCann, Otoo and Chalmers will certainly have spells where they are important/make the difference in games.

We still need at least one more striker and probably at least one more attacking midfielder/wide man. We need full back cover too, particularly at RB/RWB, with Kane being out. They may believe Fenton can step up if Edwards is out, or be comfortable with Otoo there. I’d also be fine with Fisher at RB in a 4. But not at wing back in a 5. 

I think if McGowan signs, a striker, a wide player and cover for right back we'll be in a pretty good place overall. 

As others have touched on this might be the season we start to see some results from the academy, Tod and Sutherland look like good prospects.

I realise this means absolutely nothing but someone has edited the Oli Shaw Wikipedia page to say he plays for us. 

He signed a two and half year contract with Barnsley in January so I'd be surprised if it were true to be honest. Although he doesn't seem to have played much so perhaps a loan might make sense.

I think him plus Wotherspoon would be excellent business. Then maybe look to get some loan cover in at RWB. 

Oli Shaw is a player I've been hoping we would sign for about 4 years. Always really impressed me - if there's any truth in that particular rumour I would be delighted, but it seems unlikely based on his current contract situation.

he's been involved in their friendlies so I deem it unlikely.

Wotherspoon and Snodgrass have both had their wikis edited in a similar vein recently so not giving it any credence.

Randomguy's assessment of Mikey is pretty fair and accurate. St Johnstone's formation killed him as a winger. They played wingbacks and they occupied the same space out wide. Mikey and Rooney would trip over each other going for the ball and latterly he and Wright did the same.

He was used to fill in at wingback but not his position. He played the 10 role when Wotherspoon injured and got a couple of man of the matches but when Wotherspoon retunred Mikey was back on the bench

He is not an out and out striker. He was occasionally played there but balls over the top never worked

He is a wide player right or left. Give him space and the ball and hopefully he will give an end product.

Dave MacKay knowns him well and should help to bring out the best in him.

Some say at 32 he will have lost his speed. Reminder Linford Christie won an Olympic gold in the 100m at 32 :)