Walking Down The Halbeath Road

1 hour ago, The Toun Clock said:

I couldn’t make yesterday as was at a wedding but I’ve just watched the highlights and find this to be untrue. We had enough chances to win two games of football. A proper striker scores both those chances O’Hallaron had for a start.

Rubbish, you had a shot in the first half that Dabrowski put round the post and a scramble on the line. 2nd half several crosses that came to nothing. Are you forgetting Stsntons one on one if that went in game was over. 

42 minutes ago, Fifes Elite Force said:

The bench yesterday was

5 Chris Hamilton 
16 Ben Summers
18 Paul Allan 
19 Miller Fenton
26 Taylor Sutherland
28 Andrew Tod 
44 Max Little (GK)

McDonald, O Hara, Todorov, Mochrie are all better than them. And would be on the bench if we had them

The only change to the starting line up is O'halloren (and the goalie due to injury) so we havnt strenghtened much either despite going up a league.

That's our matchday team not our squad.

Of course that's way weaker, outfield players aside you are missing a goalkeeper that just smashed the record shutouts in a season.

40 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Eh?

keeper, same position 

wing back- weaker, let Macdonald go and not brought anyone else in

center back- stronger fisher and Otoo both at the club at the same time 

Deep lying center mid- same position 

attacking center mid - weaker McGowan and mochrie gone with summers coming in

winger- not a position we use very often but I think that’s where Mahon and o’halloran would be described as- slightly strong I’d think.

striker- much weaker

And that’s before you take into consideration the hit we’ve taken in injuries 

Wingback agree Fenton's promotion into the first team is a step down on MacDonald. But out spending in that area will have gone up KRH and Otoo being on the books I think requires less players in that area as I would bet as a % of our spend that area has increased.

ACM/ Winger has also seem Tod promoted into the first team probably in place of Mahon I would say he's a better prospect.

Striker agree Todorov is a loss. 

But the window isn't closed.

If I'm honest I much prefer spending decent coin on promising young players and promoting our own youth players, not doing so shuts down the pathway that's vital for young players to see at this club. 

I don't think anyone here is mental enough to be calling for a squad rammed full of mediocrity but a bit more depth would be welcome and I'm happy to trust the manager to find those/that quality addition(s) patience has been rewarded in the past and the budget is clearly being used to prioritise good players rather than a more scatter gun approach.

I think "creating chances" must mean different things to different people. Whether it's looking at XG or shots or target or whatever is fine, but classing a couple of crosses that went across the six yard box or speculative shots that go miles over from distance as good chances. I'd say we had three: the McCann/Comrie chance in the first half, the one Comrie tried to control rather than finish first time and the McCann one that ended up being flagged offside. Other than that it was just not quite falling for us or the final ball just being lacking. Certainly nowhere near enough good chances to be winning a game, let alone two. Raith had probably two chances better than all of ours, the goal (which was a fantastic finish) and the one on one where Sharp saved it. Fairly even in terms of chances and if Opta did XG in our league it would probably be bourne out I reckon. 

In terms of squad, I'd say we are well weaker and that's before we get into the injuries. 

1 minute ago, 101 said:

That's our matchday team not our squad.

Of course that's way weaker, outfield players aside you are missing a goalkeeper that just smashed the record shutouts in a season.

Thats our best available players. Pointing out we had better available players last season is the crux of the debate. Albeit KHR and Todd are coming back they are still unproven at championship level and it also proves we dont have quality in depth in the squad when you are relying on a bunch of young players to pad out the bench with just 2 outfield injuries

I missed the keeper out because the one playing yesterday isnt our first choice and if Mehmet is fit theres isnt an improvement/lower quality than last year. His last season in the championship was poor though and had a solid defence last year to help with those shutouts and I dont think hes a world beater albeit I think he will be fine.

The defence is pretty much the same as last year except with Bene a year older(he struggled a bit yesterday at times with the ball and being up against better players than last year albeit his organisational skills make up for it).

Competing well so far is fine. But I don't accept fine when we could do better if the board or management team or both sort what ever the issue is with us not getting players in. Only they know why its not happening and before its said again, yes they are trying but trying alone isn't good enough when we are using a weaker squad in the league above.

We're not in panic mode here, jist pointing out we need to strengthen or this will end up being a struggle of a season when it need not be.

Edited by Heaton

1 hour ago, Fifes Elite Force said:

Todd are coming back they are still unproven at championship level

Like your characterisation of Allan I'm not sure someone who has played pretty much 40 games in the championship is unproven especially as some of those were in his weaker posting of RB and he was absolutely fine.

2 hours ago, raith1974 said:

Rubbish, you had a shot in the first half that Dabrowski put round the post and a scramble on the line. 2nd half several crosses that came to nothing. Are you forgetting Stsntons one on one if that went in game was over. 

In the second half O’Hallaron literally ducked on the 6 yard line from a cross and tried to get his foot on it. A proper striker headers that in. And then he finds himself in the 6 yard box again and made a complete arse of it.

All I’m saying is that from the highlights there were at least four chances that on another day we could have scored with.

I didn’t talk about Stanton’s chance in the second half because it’s irrelevant to the point I’m making.

2 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Nonsense.

I count at least four chances that on another day go in. That could win you two games of football. Todorov scores both. 

30 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

In the second half O’Hallaron literally ducked on the 6 yard line from a cross and tried to get his foot on it. A proper striker headers that in. And then he finds himself in the 6 yard box again and made a complete arse of it.

All I’m saying is that from the highlights there were at least four chances that on another day we could have scored with.

I didn’t talk about Stanton’s chance in the second half because it’s irrelevant to the point I’m making.

I count at least four chances that on another day go in. That could win you two games of football. Todorov scores both. 

Having now watched the highlights, I repeat; nonsense.

2 hours ago, da_no_1 said:

Obviously. You've already said a few times we created nothing. Been pointed out several that's incorrect but you're still adamant. 

I don’t think we had as much as a shot on target in the second half. The ones described so far are not “chances” unless you have an extremely generous interpretation.

It was a poor performance that got the defeat it deserved. Not sure how there’s so much debate about it tbh.

Edited by Cardle is Magic

1 hour ago, The Toun Clock said:

So by what you are saying Dunfermline should have won 4-2. Nonsense Raith were better first half and cleared there lines well in the 2nd with options on the bench that could have made us more offensive should we needed to. 

1 hour ago, raith1974 said:

So by what you are saying Dunfermline should have won 4-2. Nonsense Raith were better first half and cleared there lines well in the 2nd with options on the bench that could have made us more offensive should we needed to. 

I think you’ve missed my point. My point is not that we should have won, it’s more aimed at the lack of quality we have in the striker positions.

My original response was me saying that we had enough chances to win two games of football. Chances don’t win games though, we didn’t score and you did, it’s as simple as that. At no point did I say we should have won the game or deserved to. My response was aimed at the comment about not being enough service to the strikers. IMO, from what I seen in the highlights, if we had better quality in the final third, then a couple of the chances could have been converted. Likewise you could have scored more.

I can’t comment on the full 90, I’ve heard a variety of reviews form both sides of the fence but at the end of the day only one stat is relevant and that’s who scored most goals.

3 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

I don’t think we had as much as a shot on target in the second half. The ones described so far are not “chances” unless you have an extremely generous interpretation.

It was a poor performance that got the defeat it deserved. Not sure how there’s so much debate about it tbh.

I completely disagree that we played poorly. 

6 hours ago, The Toun Clock said:

I think you’ve missed my point. My point is not that we should have won, it’s more aimed at the lack of quality we have in the striker positions.

My original response was me saying that we had enough chances to win two games of football. Chances don’t win games though…

The chances and the inability to finish them reminded me of what happened to us last year. Started reasonably strongly, but constant complaints about too many chances without results. It seemed we were taking thirty chances to get a goal when the opponents might get one goal in ten or fifteen chances. After December, it started to bit a little harder, and we still had “strikers” that could battle and annoy, but not score. The good news, for you, is that it looks like you have a solid basis for this season.

4 hours ago, TxRover said:

The chances and the inability to finish them reminded me of what happened to us last year. Started reasonably strongly, but constant complaints about too many chances without results. It seemed we were taking thirty chances to get a goal when the opponents might get one goal in ten or fifteen chances. After December, it started to bit a little harder, and we still had “strikers” that could battle and annoy, but not score. The good news, for you, is that it looks like you have a solid basis for this season.

I think this is going to be the story of our season. 

Rovers had two shots on target in the whole game, both from defensive errors. The first they take well (we probably would have fluffed that) and the second they should score but it's a great save from Sharp. I don't think we were particularly cut open through Raith's play at all. 

On the flip side we never really looked like we had the cutting edge required and Murray and Watson defended their box excellently I thought. But on another day we could have nicked a goal, although we weren't brilliant I don't understand the claim we didn't have any chances at all, and a draw I think would have been a fair result.

Overall I thought it was a pretty entertaining (if frustrating) game in truth. 

A win next week against a seemingly terrible Caley side and I think we've made a really positive start to the season, with our two best creative players still to come back. 

Raith defended superbly well. It was a bit of tactical nouse from Ian Murray to nullify our threats. I don’t think Raith were the better team at all, and I am not panicking one bit after three games. It was one of those games where Raith took a chance we gifted them, and we had no answer for them doubling up on our wide men. It happens. However, we do need more bodies in. We had no options from the bench to change that game up, which is the only worrying thing at the moment. 

12 hours ago, The Toun Clock said:

My original response was me saying that we had enough chances to win two games of football. Chances don’t win games though, we didn’t score and you did, it’s as simple as that. At no point did I say we should have won the game or deserved to. My response was aimed at the comment about not being enough service to the strikers. IMO, from what I seen in the highlights, if we had better quality in the final third, then a couple of the chances could have been converted. Likewise you could have scored more.

I can’t comment on the full 90, I’ve heard a variety of reviews form both sides of the fence but at the end of the day only one stat is relevant and that’s who scored most goals.

But you didn't have enough chances to win 2 games.  In all honesty how many saves did Dabrowski make. He claimed a few crosses and tipped a shot in the 1st half round the post. I do agree you lack numbers or real quality up top but that will be a struggle to resolve this week. I hear you have 2 creative players that are due to come back in but we also have a goalscoring right winger to come in, a left back to come in instead of a midfielder and have options on the bench.

We undoubtedly need more bodies in. But I don’t think Saturday has changed my opinion on where we’re at. We need another striker. If we’re using McCann as a winger (which I think we should), there’s definitely a good case for needing a couple of strikers. Late in the game on Saturday, we left Benedictus up. That’s not how we should be doing things. Bring in a target man. If our game plan is to get the ball wide and get crosses into the box, I’m not sure Wighton as the number 9 will work very well. I think we need a more physical striker for that style of play. But Wighton offers other qualities and skill/intelligence that is very useful on the pitch. We also need the manager to stop the players making stupid decisions - McCann taking that free kick out wide in the second half. He’s our best target at set pieces and hit a shot when crossing was clearly the best option. Get him in the box ffs.

For the wide roles in the front 3, McCann has been decent and is undoubtedly our best attacking player so far this season. O’Halloran seemed to severely lack sharpness - not a surprise when he’s 32 and missed the entire pre-season, then had 2 weeks without a game after returning to fitness. But once he’s up to speed and Todd’s back, we have good options. Possibly be good to get a short term loan or something to cover us until January though - so we don’t need to rush Todd back?

I’m still not convinced by our midfield. It seems quite unbalanced and/or just not quite right. I also don’t know what the deal is with Hamilton, but I can’t understand why Otoo is playing in midfield ahead of him. I think Hamilton is better in that role, but that’s just my opinion. Chalmers has been good. I like him. But he likes to play deeper, which means the gap from midfield to attack is massive and we have nobody supporting the front 3, other than wing backs. Maybe need to change the system slightly to get Summers (or someone) in behind a front 2. Issue with that is where do McCann/Todd/O’Halloran then fit in. We also need 2 more strikers for that system to be possible.

I’m happy enough with our defensive options. Edwards is a solid wing back. KRH will be first choice RWB when fit. Comrie will provide cover and/or play RCB. If we go to a back 4, Comrie at RB in behind KRH is a very good option. They linked up together very well last season as a RCB/RWB pairing. Otoo is decent enough cover for Edwards too.

Having said all of the above, if someone better than what we currently have is available for any position, we should obviously be trying to get a deal for them. If we want to challenge for promotion, we need more quality in the squad. Rovers’ bench was significantly better than ours and we can’t afford to be saying “he was good last season, so deserves to keep his place” - we’re in a higher league and need to be doing better than just players who were good at League 1 level. Imagine having a strong enough squad, that you can have the likes of Easton and Vaughan on the bench. If we want to match teams like that over the season, we need to be able to have the likes of Todd, KRH and Wighton on the bench for games they’re maybe not right for, and still have a team on the park capable of winning games.

1 hour ago, par-adise said:

I don't understand the claim we didn't have any chances at all,

Again, I don't think anyone has said that. What people have said - rightly, IMO - is that we didn't create many chances and those that we did weren't of the clear cut variety. Certainly not enough very big changes to say we had enough to win two games.