Walking Down The Halbeath Road

8 hours ago, parsboi said:

I’d say KRH coming on board permanently for 3 years was a wow move at the time.   Shame he’s been injured for all but 3 games of the season.  Otoo was another who we didn’t think we’d get permanent but did, again on a good long contract.

Thought it was obvious that any talk of them being ‘meh’ signings was about when they joined on loan. Don't think anyone is suggesting that it was underwhelming when they joined permanently.

14 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Thought it was obvious that any talk of them being ‘meh’ signings was about when they joined on loan. Don't think anyone is suggesting that it was underwhelming when they joined permanently.

I was responding to DA Baracus’ question.  Certainly the supporters reaction to the KRH signing was far more excited than when Graham Dorrans signed.

1 minute ago, parsboi said:

I was responding to DA Baracus’ question.  Certainly the supporters reaction to the KRH signing was far more excited than when Graham Dorrans signed.

Fair enough. Would definitely agree with that then. I think I was one of the few who didn’t think Dorrans was an outstanding signing. Definitely happier when we signed KRH, Otoo, Hamilton.

5 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Fair enough. Would definitely agree with that then. I think I was one of the few who didn’t think Dorrans was an outstanding signing. Definitely happier when we signed KRH, Otoo, Hamilton.

I’m with you, I didn’t understand how anyone thought we would have a successful season with a midfield two of Dan Pybus and Graham Dorrans.   It was absolute lunacy.   Dorrans especially came in injured, with a bit of an overhang of Dundee fans telling us how done he was.  It just felt like yet another former old firm player on a downward spiral picking up last paydays.  As it turned out to be.  

I’m struggling to think of the last time we signed someone that would be termed a wow or a coup.  Maybe right back to Nicky Clark?   The FEB return was lauded but to be fair it probably wasn’t a coup or unexpected.

1 minute ago, parsboi said:

I’m with you, I didn’t understand how anyone thought we would have a successful season with a midfield two of Dan Pybus and Graham Dorrans.   It was absolute lunacy.   Dorrans especially came in injured, with a bit of an overhang of Dundee fans telling us how done he was.  It just felt like yet another former old firm player on a downward spiral picking up last paydays.  As it turned out to be.  

I’m struggling to think of the last time we signed someone that would be termed a wow or a coup.  Maybe right back to Nicky Clark?   The FEB return was lauded but to be fair it probably wasn’t a coup or unexpected.

Robbie Muirhead in 2018, Nisbet in 2019 and Mcmanus in 2020

6 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

Robbie Muirhead in 2018, Nisbet in 2019 and Mcmanus in 2020

Wouldn’t have said any of them were “coups” though.  Decent enough on paper and two of the three turned out decent enough.  Nisbet was expected for us for a while, McManus was a return.  Probably more likely to give you Muirhead but even then he wasn’t playing much before he came to us, injury prone?  

Re Shankland, whilst he looked decent when he was here, his attitude and discipline towards fitness and application were very much lacking. He's said so himself, which is why he bounced around lots of clubs before landing at Ayr. At Ayr he was told his next stop was the lower leagues or the juniors and he managed to turn things around to start working towards becoming the player he is now, but had we signed him back when we had a chance I doubt he would have become that. That's why, and plenty of other teams, passed on him.

Just now, DA Baracus said:

Re Shankland, whilst he looked decent when he was here, his attitude and discipline towards fitness and application were very much lacking. He's said so himself, which is why he bounced around lots of clubs before landing at Ayr. At Ayr he was told his next stop was the lower leagues or the juniors and he managed to turn things around to start working towards becoming the player he is now, but had we signed him back when we had a chance I doubt he would have become that. That's why, and plenty of other teams, passed on him.

Spot on.  He credits McCall for his management, and Michael Moffats personal training too which got his physical stature and strength to a level where it really brought out his talent.  We’d have ruined him that season 🤣

3 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:

No mention of Willo Flood saddens me.

😂 dinnae

9 minutes ago, AuldReekie said:

IMO, Shankland still looks slow - not convinced by the hype and wouldn't be surprised for him to have found his level. 

Hopefully has another level to find in Germany in June/ July.

37 minutes ago, 101 said:

Hopefully has another level to find in Germany in June/ July.

Would obviously love this to be the case, but IMO he is neither fit enough or quick enough to lead the line for Scotland. Maybe good enough for lower tier nations but I genuinely can't see him doing it at a major championship.

Obviously hoping to be proven massively wrong but I think there's a reason Clarke continues to prefer Dykes and Adams.

20 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

Heard a wee snippet from last night's meeting. Absolutely nae worries.

What was the big fuss in the first place? All the stuff about million pound losses, asset stripping, folk at the club unhappy, 'the Germans' not caring, the board not allowing signings etc; was it all just pish?

14 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

What was the big fuss in the first place? All the stuff about million pound losses, asset stripping, folk at the club unhappy, 'the Germans' not caring, the board not allowing signings etc; was it all just pish?

f**k knows. Thon Rovers boy Enigma will be desperate to find out tho, he was awfy worried for us all last week.....