Walking Down The Halbeath Road

2 minutes ago, par-adise said:

Sounds like you're speculating about whether there are undelying factors which aren't helping 

I’m not going into specific, sure, but there comes a point where it surely can’t just be bad luck?

Murray in the courier saying Ashcroft went to Raith despite us offering him more money.

I have no reason to doubt that we have offered more money and it makes perfect sense why Raith would be more attractive for him for a few months loan right now. However that doesn't make any sense to me as to my understanding of how loans work, i.e. I thought money only changed hands between the clubs. So Ashcroft would still be paid by Dundee then Raith would pay an agreed contribution of his wages or fee to Dundee. 

44 minutes ago, Wacky said:

To be fair we created plenty chances last Saturday, if we can find the net a bit more then a nation wide tv hammering might not happen. My heart is overruling my head though 

Was away on a stag do last week so wasn't there. Glad to hear we created more chances, but it was against Arbroath... 

2 minutes ago, Enigma said:

I’m not going into specific, sure, but there comes a point where it surely can’t just be bad luck?

So you are speculating about whether there are undelying factors which aren't helping. Glad we cleared that up. 

1 minute ago, par-adise said:

However that doesn't make any sense to me as to my understanding of how loans work, i.e. I thought money only changed hands between the clubs. 

It’s not football manager. Played get bonuses etc. I heard your boy Kane gets £5K if you stay up for example.

Just now, par-adise said:

So you are speculating about whether there are undelying factors which aren't helping. Glad we cleared that up. 

Well, why not?

2 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I guess we could have offered various bonuses that Raith won't have (playing bonus, goal bonus, keep us in the division bonus), but it sounds more like Murray trying to stir things up than anything of any note. 

Yep probably. I doubt either club were offering to cover his wages in full or that any difference would have been life changing for him. 

6 minutes ago, Home Truths said:

Surely the clubs medical acumen has moved on from using leeches and trepanning players heids? Surely?

Last time I visited the KDM it appeared a few of your fans in the North West Stand had been lobotomised so you never know… 

I heard Ashcroft got an "incentive" to sign for Raith - both clubs had matched Dundees loan terms. Obviously Enigma will know better as he seems to spend more time worrying about us than anything else

Edited by da_no_1

14 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:

I heard Ashcroft got an "incentive" to sign for Raith - both clubs had matched Dundees loan terms. Obviously Enigma will know better as he seems to spend more time worrying about us than anything else

We got our league winners medals last Friday according to Dundee United so it's a bit of a surprise.

Even if we offered an extra 10K for staying up, his earning potential is enhanced by being in a promotion battle, especially if he helps Raith to promotion. A financial decision isn't just down to the money he would earn in the next 6 months. Would have been career self-harm coming to us instead of Raith. That's just the harsh reality of the relative league positions. They're peaking (hopefully) and we're bottoming out (hopefully) - the timing couldn't have been worse for trying to get him. We just have to dust ourselves down and get on with it.

Didn't realise how busy the next three weeks are for the club with six games between tonight and 15/3.

Thistle away tonight, Inverness away on Tuesday, Ayr at home a week tomorrow, Airdrie at home on the following Tuesday, away to Raith on the Saturday then the live Friday night game against Dundee Utd. 

Games coming thick and fast with no free weekends from now until the end of the season. Let's hope for an injury free remainder of the season, never know we might actually get to play our favoured 11 once.

On 21/02/2024 at 16:02, parsforlife said:

You watched Benjamin and Fagan-Walcott get destroyed and your thoughts are ‘yes definitely nothing wrong with dunfermline’s recruitment here?’ 

Where are you getting the part about us having one of the largest squads in the division from? It doesn’t feel right when we are mostly only listing 2/3 first team subs, we do have quite a few injuries so I guess it is possible but even so the claim of the dismissal of not providing cover doesn’t add up when the extent of these injuries where mostly known before the window opened, failure to bring in cover is still a valid criticism.

Opposition fans seem to criticise mcpakes recruitment more than our own fans and I guess that’s due to an assumption we operate in the traditional manner of ‘your budget is x, you go sign some players’  we don’t recruit like that

meagle is heavily involved, signings are mostly aimed to fit his model where the first priority is will we be able to improve them and get a transfer fee in future and mcpake doesn’t do any negotiations once targets have been identified.

that doesn’t let mcpake off the hook cos he is part of the recruitment team, but it maybe why pars fans are less critical of him in that.

His only start was when we played a weakened 11 in the challenge cup. His sub appearances have all been late in games when we don’t have any senior options left.

Benjamin and Fagan-Walcott are certainly terrible yes, but again that's not indicative of a board failing to provide backing for the first team, simply the money which is provided being spent terribly. There are clubs in this division who don't sign English loanees because they can't afford to put them up in digs, so whatever the reasons for this failure of recruitment it isn't financial. How much of the recruitment ultimately being shite is the board's fault for involvement of backroom staff in recruitment compared to McPake I have no idea.

On the biggest squad, yeah it's been enforced by the injuries, but I would put Dunfermline's first team squad now at 24 with the addition of Welch-Hayes since I made that post, going by the previous standard of not include the likes of the Sutherlands,  Tod or Fenton:

Mehmet, Little (2nd choice keepers count), Comrie, Edwards, Benedictus, Otoo, Brent, Fisher, Benjamin, Fagan-Walcott, Welch-Hayes, Hamilton, Ritchie-Hosler, Chalmers, Todd, Summers, Allan, Wighton, McCann, Moffat, O'Halloran, Jakubiak, Kane, Holmes

Going by the same standard of not including teenagers who've only made a few league appearances at other clubs, so for example Corr and Masson at Raith wouldn't count, that gives Dunfermline a bigger first team squad than everyone other than Queen's Park and Arbroath.