Walking Down The Halbeath Road

He might be getting past it now but was still a superb signing and was a massive part of why we bounced back straightaway. Hope he can stroll it in league 1 in 25/26.

Just now, Rob1885 said:

He might be getting past it now but was still a superb signing and was a massive part of why we bounced back straightaway. Hope he can stroll it in league 1 in 25/26.

😂 the focus needs to be on coming back up I agree. How sad this is how we feel before the league even starts. 

I think some folk are getting a little carried away - season hasn't started, transfer window hasn't closed, loan window has plenty of time and some folk have us relegated and thinking about the league 1 campaign next season.

There's no doubt there is a lot to be concerned about but there is time to address the issues and correct some of the mistakes. As folk have mentioned, Bene is a concern but I do still think he can play a big part this season. He's going to be beaten for pace and might miss games through injury but if the club can get out there and bring in a good, experienced centre-half with a little pace, I could see it making a big difference to the back line. Moving to a back four, closing up some of the gaps and have the defenders play with more confidence could go a long way to building a platform for us to then focus on midfield and attack.

Leaking goals has to be the main focus for the next 2-4 weeks. We are not even close to being prolific and I think it's far easier to stop goals that it is to score more, so it's really a no brainer where the clubs focus needs to be. Fix that problem and I think the season starts to look a lot better. This entirely of this squad and club didn't turn to sh*t in the space of a few months.

9 minutes ago, AuldReekie said:

I think some folk are getting a little carried away - season hasn't started, transfer window hasn't closed, loan window has plenty of time and some folk have us relegated and thinking about the league 1 campaign next season.

There's no doubt there is a lot to be concerned about but there is time to address the issues and correct some of the mistakes. As folk have mentioned, Bene is a concern but I do still think he can play a big part this season. He's going to be beaten for pace and might miss games through injury but if the club can get out there and bring in a good, experienced centre-half with a little pace, I could see it making a big difference to the back line. Moving to a back four, closing up some of the gaps and have the defenders play with more confidence could go a long way to building a platform for us to then focus on midfield and attack.

Leaking goals has to be the main focus for the next 2-4 weeks. We are not even close to being prolific and I think it's far easier to stop goals that it is to score more, so it's really a no brainer where the clubs focus needs to be. Fix that problem and I think the season starts to look a lot better. This entirely of this squad and club didn't turn to sh*t in the space of a few months.

Clubs been in the shit the last 3 seasons.

8 minutes ago, AuldReekie said:

I think some folk are getting a little carried away - season hasn't started .........

Yeah and we're skint. No cash reserves to speak of. Limited options. McPake is evidently pissed off because something isn't right at the club. Runs deeper than just having a depleted squad.

Didn't Ross McArthur have us turning small profits? And reaching twice the play offs despite the result of them? We've gone so far backwards under GmbH, they have a huge job gaining the confidence in the fans again. 

11 hours ago, parsforlife said:

I wouldn't say he was our biggest worry but he was absolutely bullied by yengi on Saturday.  He's meant to be our brick wall at the back and if that's a sign of things to come we are in major trouble.

I think the boy Yengi is a bit of a handful and despite Livi's fairly poor season he got some plaudits once he joined in January, at Premiership level too. Bene isn't going to come up against that calibre of striker every week.

Bene will be fine this season. He's not going to be a contender for the overall POTY but keep him fit and he'll do just fine.

9 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Denis Mehmet is an atrocious goalkeeper who at best should be playing for the likes of Cowdenbeath or the Shire.

Quite remarkable that he has had game time at us, Dundee Utd and you lot.

100% agree, he's gash. I remember him playing a blinder against us in the playoff finals for Dundee Utd in what must've been season 2017/18. He done a somersault when Dundee Utd scored their winner and had to get subbed off, we should have known then.

I have no faith in his ability. Since he joined, we could genuinely write a decent sized book on all the daft things he's done.

55 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

100%. Bene was shortlisted for POTY, he was colossal. He did start last season well until he broke his foot at Inverness and that was that for a large period. Still, he came back, got injured, came back, got injured. But he did play 8 out of the last 9 and was decent in them all, and he was well of it fitness wise.

As I've said above, Kyle Benedictus is a good centre half at this level. If he comes across big, athletic and pacey strikers then he might get outdone a wee bit, but for the most part he'll be absolutely fine. Our 3-1 win over Dundee Utd last season, he had Moult in the back pocket. I don't recall Jack Hamilton and Zak Rudden getting much change out of him when we played Raith. He didn't play Morton when they cuffed us but played the full 90 at Cappielow when we won 0-1 towards the end of the season, again George Oakley didn't get the better of him.

Bene can battle, he just needs the guys like Fisher and Breen to be ready pace wise, that's why we're playing the back 3. My concern about the defence is that the other two (Fisher/Breen) aren't tough enough. Both are athletic, physical players, especially Breen. But he's always injured, Fisher had fairly big injuries last season, they look like as soon as they don't win the first challenge against an attacker that they go into a shell.

Ross McArthur and Co did return a small operating profit every year apart from 1 year. They handed over a stable club, tbf but it really required freshening up. 

DAFC Fussball GmbH I'd guess have put in around £2million in equity since they took over. We're on course for another big loss this season after last years £1million loss. Money from Nesbit all gone. No idea about the Edwards transfer money. The club had no cash to contribute toward the academy to top up on the Grants we had  in place, GmbH then stepped forward with the necessary £300k.

All that I really don't understand but it's worrying. The club should be clarifying wtf is going on.

1 hour ago, AuldReekie said:

I don't see any real signs of us addressing these issues though and will be reliant on young loans, some of which can be good but as we know, others can be gash. 

We need two things. The manager to wake up and change how we are playing. And the board to get a grip and relax the whole ethos of who we target and wage structuring so we are not going to the market handicapped. 

Edited by Heaton

8 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Benedictus is only 32, 33 in December. Not sure where the stuff about him being done is coming from.

I don't think he's "done" but I think he can't play in a back four with the current crop of centre halves we have though. And that causes multiple issues further up the park.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Benedictus is only 32, 33 in December. Not sure where the stuff about him being done is coming from.

I think concerns are based on his performances in pre-season and how uncomfortable or unable he was to run at pace during the Livi game. He had the look of someone who was unable to move freely or was trying to manage an injury, neither of which is very comfortable. Address the issues around him and cover him with pace and I still think he can be a key player. I'd like to see him focus on his performances though before eviscerating Mehmet at every opportunity though. Lead by example and all that.

I don't even think he was that bad, I'd certainly argue with the assertion that he was bullied by the Livi forward, he won the majority of his headers against him and I thought he didn't get much of a sniff. 

McCann won more headers than Mengi did, are we saying that he bullied the Livi defence? 

It speaks volumes about how poor everyone was in defence that I genuinely think Bene was the best player in it. I don't think that either Comrie or Ngwenya are wing backs right enough, but he was better than Fisher and Breen. 

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

We're a fucking joke of a club now.

https://dafc.co.uk/goalkeeper-registration-update/

Yep. Nothing professional about this club anymore. We’re amateur from top to bottom. Changes are required if we want to remain full time, never mind stay in the championship. We’re not going to progress with the current people running the club.

Remember when Meggle said we had to make the club more professional? Here we are, 4 years later, more amateur than ever.