Walking Down The Halbeath Road

sorry but all I see is a millstone around our necks. 
Falkirk had two or three(?) pitches for hire right next to the stadium. They are now closed. I’m sure they weren’t closed because they were busy and making the club money. The indoor pitch along the road from them in the old indoor market/ice rink was always busy, perhaps because it’s indoor? (I’ve played there more than a few times) 

The point I’m trying to make is that if these places pay for themselves and even turn over a profit, why have those ones in Falkirk closed down? 
I'm sure that business rates are far higher than the cost of a private facility, but even private places have to pay rates etc. if it’s kept private then it’s going to cost plenty for the upkeep. If having such a place was really cost effective then why don’t all teams at our level have them? 
I sincerely hope that it is as simple to generate enough money for its upkeep as the majority of you think it going to be, but I have my doubts 

9 minutes ago, Wacky said:

Falkirk had two or three(?) pitches for hire right next to the stadium. They are now closed. I’m sure they weren’t closed because they were busy and making the club money. The indoor pitch along the road from them in the old indoor market/ice rink was always busy, perhaps because it’s indoor? (I’ve played there more than a few times) 

The point I’m trying to make is that if these places pay for themselves and even turn over a profit, why have those ones in Falkirk closed down? 
I'm sure that business rates are far higher than the cost of a private facility, but even private places have to pay rates etc. if it’s kept private then it’s going to cost plenty for the upkeep. If having such a place was really cost effective then why don’t all teams at our level have them? 
I sincerely hope that it is as simple to generate enough money for its upkeep as the majority of you think it going to be, but I have my doubts 

They were renting to the public I think?

we have the first team, academy and foundation all ready to use it and indeed already are. If it doesn’t generate money fair enough but it won’t cost anywhere near the amount dozens of pitch hires will have been costing. Never mind it’s probably the best artificial surface money can buy, far better than anything at Pitreavie.

I don’t know if Falkirk have a reserve team or an academy or a foundation but if they do I would imagine there would be sufficient in house demand on the pitches to keep it open without ever going to the open market.

20 minutes ago, Wacky said:

Falkirk had two or three(?) pitches for hire right next to the stadium. They are now closed. I’m sure they weren’t closed because they were busy and making the club money.

Falkirk have an artificial pitch at the stadium which they rent out and makes them money. The Falkirk Community folk have the pitch where the 4th stand should be. Where and when do you think these pitches closed in your weird world?

28 minutes ago, Wacky said:

The small 5 a side pitches closed because we have an artificial pitch at the stadium. The first team train on that as do a few other professional teams, in fact anyone can hire it out. Cost a decent amount to put down as it's  a superior quality to any other plastic pitch I've seen but has paid for itself twice over since then.

Then there is another full size astro next door that the foundation use (academy, all youth teams, womens team, walking football etc). And another pitch in town. Something like 3,900 users across all age groups. It has charity status but must generate a fair bit of cash 

aerial-drone-view-of-falkirk-stadium-2RRGMB6.thumb.jpg.bf52987f17948b38479db213668c630f.jpg

Edited by NavyBlueArmy1876

2 hours ago, Wacky said:

Just on that. As the investors were coming in they did an introduction to the fans at EEP and it was an open questions and answer session Nick teller was there but can't remember who else from the group. Anyway in the main reception area at the club I managed to speak to Ross McArthur and I raised the concern of having a white elephant of a training ground and being left with 2 facilities we need to upkeep. Tbf to him he said that the money we would save from renting random pitches for training, reserve games all weather pitches and fifes elite would actually save us money and more than pay for upkeep. It was all about getting the cash in the door to build the asset in the first place (which was the main purpose of the investment at the time). Looked like they did their number crunching at the time and it all worked. Tbh though we got loads of grants for the training ground so much of the investment hasn't/didn't go into the training ground.

Also- I dont think Falkirk FC own their ground/ pitches outside  but maybe a falkirk fan can confirm that.

I agree with NWs point. Drew Main is pretty visable and approachable and replies to emails. If you get the detail or the answers you might want is another question.

1 hour ago, Fifes Elite Force said:

Also- I dont think Falkirk FC own their ground/ pitches outside  but maybe a falkirk fan can confirm that.

We do and it's a big revenue stream for us which is another reason a grass pitch is financially damaging to the club/clubs who rely on that income.

On 16/08/2024 at 13:30, Hugh Hillshaveyes said:

I find it strange that the two best supported clubs by a long way in this division are skint & diddies like Ayr United with 1200 season ticket holders are throwing it around 

A decade ago Ayr were getting beat at home by Stranraer in front of crowds of 500. They got a local owner in who invested his own money on infrastructure the club has needed for a literal century and ensured that it was run as a proper business. They also already had an actual proper elite academy, run as its own business with its own books.

Ayr are currently hurting for home gates, but which of these is the better option in the long run?

1. Have a club that's well-run and getting results on the park, and trying to attract more fans
  2. Wanking furiously over one's home gates for years while suffering continual relegations and indeed insolvency events

9 minutes ago, Fifes Elite Force said:

Or not ordered to rip the one we had up

The artificial pitches we had were absolutely terrible, not even comparable to those that are allowed in the professional game these days. The SPL were absolutely correct to force us to rip them up.

1 hour ago, CallumPar said:

The artificial pitches we had were absolutely terrible, not even comparable to those that are allowed in the professional game these days. The SPL were absolutely correct to force us to rip them up.

Was essentially a green carpet. Absolutely awful thing

Played one the first one a couple of times as a laddie, quite enjoyed it tbf. Some laugh UEFA giving us the cash to do it then saying nah you're not playing your UEFA cup game there.

On 15/08/2024 at 23:41, North West said:

Tbh, whoever you are, in reality nobody gives a flying f**k if do "laugh your tits off". Just another bawbag on the Internet.

Just like you, except you love sitting next to kids and rolling out trains. Enjoy a long season with one shit keeper and Wighton up front.

42 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

Just like you, except you love sitting next to kids and rolling out trains. Enjoy a long season with one shit keeper and Wighton up front.

Pretty sure we won't play a keeper up front.

Edited by DA Baracus

13 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

My season ticket is next to my wife ya slavering fud, oh, and we travel to away games by helicopter.

13 hours ago, Wacky said:

The pitch beside was still in use up to the end of last year unless it has changed since. Changing rooms were inside the main stand.