Walking Down The Halbeath Road

I imagine JJ will have identified a lot of possible targets across the season with an eye on if we stay down. Possibly on a 1 in 1 out basis. Hopefully we won't be quite so heavy on central midfielders. We need to sign a strong right back, i'd let Millen go, and an experienced replacement for Morris. I'd like grainger to stay but it's unlikely, and I imagine he's awfy expensive.

Up to this point, talk of inexperience has been fair enough. As of next season though, it is no longer a factor. Building for the future is the new direction, quite rightly, but can't be used as an excuse. We did everything we could this year, but failed when the pressure was on. Although got very unlucky with injuries. Next year, the pressure is ramped up and now Jefferies has to prove he can supplement the youth with the right balance of experience.

I imagine JJ will have identified a lot of possible targets across the season with an eye on if we stay down. Possibly on a 1 in 1 out basis. Hopefully we won't be quite so heavy on central midfielders. We need to sign a strong right back, i'd let Millen go, and an experienced replacement for Morris. I'd like grainger to stay but it's unlikely, and I imagine he's awfy expensive.

Up to this point, talk of inexperience has been fair enough. As of next season though, it is no longer a factor. Building for the future is the new direction, quite rightly, but can't be used as an excuse. We did everything we could this year, but failed when the pressure was on. Although got very unlucky with injuries. Next year, the pressure is ramped up and now Jefferies has to prove he can supplement the youth with the right balance of experience.

Millen is signed up for next season.

Who is the new admin on dot gimp? People getting carded all over the shop. Need to stop this carding system its not helping things and creates tension.

Millen is signed up for next season.

Fair enough. Again, capable enough in this division. He is a bit better than Williamson defensively but kills momentum going forward. The main thing is strikers. Moffat has been mentioned, and would be a good signing. Barrowman returning would also be no bad thing in this division although clearly not one for the future. I'd like to see us step away from any loan signings unless they seem too good to turn down, with youth development being the new direction, it wouldn't be right to have loanees of similar quality blocking the way of our own youths.

A very Rangers-esque attitude there Grant, one that pervades your entire support and part of the reason the majority of Scottish football are revelling in your failure today.

A team with the resources we have should walk this division, it's called being realistic, we sleepwalked into second place last year for example. If we don't win the title it will be a failure on epic proportions.

Grant, we don't "need" to do or have anything of the things you say. What we need to do is add & subtract properly & take it from there. If it means being able to afford certain players or staff then fine. If not, well yes it might be a long season but if we have a club at the end of it then that'll do for me. We should never, EVER as fans be put in the position we were in last October when a judge was deciding our fate in a court. The single worst day of my life. Don't forget .

Oh bore off. If you'd like to point out the bit in my post where I encouraged overspending then please do.

As it is in the summer the manager will identify targets he wants to bring in, its important he brings in the right players, something he evidently made a massive fucking balls up over January

Da doesn't like any criticism and just spends all his time deflecting it onto other who are trying to come up with reasoned debate.

Dot net personified.

Wouldn't surprise me if it's an alias.

Some interesting points in that long post above. I don't agree at all though that the defence is the weakest area - to me, it seems blatantly obvious that having no forwards is the biggest problem. I don't think the defence has been too bad in the second half of the season, and if we were to go with Lewis Martin and Jonathon Page as a regular pairing in the middle, I'd be pretty happy with that. I think we improved at the back a lot when Danny Grainger signed as well although we're not great on the right. While the defenders themselves have been OK since January, I don't think we defend all that well as a team, and in particular we don't defend set pieces well at all (an obvious area where the whole team has to defend). An example is that Ryan Thomson is one of the worst markers I've ever seen. I'm excited by Lewis Martin - he didn't have a good game yesterday but at this very early stage he looks the best player to come from our youth team for a long time.

The priority over the summer is to find a striker or two within budget. Absolutely no doubt about that. Such a fundamental weakness in any team inevitably puts strain on other areas - sometime you can get away with it if someone has an exceptional game (Andy Geggan last Saturday for example) or if the opposition aren't very good but it will find you out sometimes as it did yesterday. The defensive weakness on the right hand side, especially when Ryan Williamson plays, causes a similar probelm. When Josh Falkingham has to come over on that side to cover him so much, obviously we lose much of his contribution in attack and the midfield can look lightweight. Williamson looks ike he might do something in football, but he won't make it as a full-back unless he improves defensively.

I'm indifferent about the management at the moment. I think Jim Jefferies (that's Jefferies, not Jeffries, the misspelling of that nips me!) has done OK in the main this year, given the restrictions he had last summer. He did have the January window to sort it out, but I imagine the options he had at that time were pretty limited regarding singing a suitable forward. I don't think he should be sacked, and if he wants to stay then I think it's fair to give him a summer to shape a squad how he would like it with some balance to it, which was not something he was able to do last year. If he doesn't sign a forward though, and thinks what he has is good enough, I'll be both questioning his sanity and suggesting he should be on his way - I don't think that will happen though.

Some interesting points in that long post above. I don't agree at all though that the defence is the weakest area - to me, it seems blatantly obvious that having no forwards is the biggest problem. I don't think the defence has been too bad in the second half of the season, and if we were to go with Lewis Martin and Jonathon Page as a regular pairing in the middle, I'd be pretty happy with that. I think we improved at the back a lot when Danny Grainger signed as well although we're not great on the right. While the defenders themselves have been OK since January, I don't think we defend all that well as a team, and in particular we don't defend set pieces well at all (an obvious area where the whole team has to defend). An example is that Ryan Thomson is one of the worst markers I've ever seen. I'm excited by Lewis Martin - he didn't have a good game yesterday but at this very early stage he looks the best player to come from our youth team for a long time.

The priority over the summer is to find a striker or two within budget. Absolutely no doubt about that. Such a fundamental weakness in any team inevitably puts strain on other areas - sometime you can get away with it if someone has an exceptional game (Andy Geggan last Saturday for example) or if the opposition aren't very good but it will find you out sometimes as it did yesterday. The defensive weakness on the right hand side, especially when Ryan Williamson plays, causes a similar probelm. When Josh Falkingham has to come over on that side to cover him so much, obviously we lose much of his contribution in attack and the midfield can look lightweight. Williamson looks ike he might do something in football, but he won't make it as a full-back unless he improves defensively.

I'm indifferent about the management at the moment. I think Jim Jefferies (that's Jefferies, not Jeffries, the misspelling of that nips me!) has done OK in the main this year, given the restrictions he had last summer. He did have the January window to sort it out, but I imagine the options he had at that time were pretty limited regarding singing a suitable forward. I don't think he should be sacked, and if he wants to stay then I think it's fair to give him a summer to shape a squad how he would like it with some balance to it, which was not something he was able to do last year. If he doesn't sign a forward though, and thinks what he has is good enough, I'll be both questioning his sanity and suggesting he should be on his way - I don't think that will happen though.

Completely agree with all that. As a unit, Grainger didn't improve us much although his experience has been good. It does seem to have knocked whittle for six though. Whittle and Grainger are two excellent options for left back. They are at opposite ends of the throw in scale though! Unlikely, but a similar signing to Grainger on the right would be fantastic.

If we don't win the title next season it'll be a total failure.

We should skoosh it but we desperately need a shake in the line up. A few guys who've been around the block would be necessary but strictly within budget. A one in, one out basis should shore up some wages. If it's true that we're trying to get a hold of Moffat, then good. Him and Wallace up front would be deadly.

Falkingham needs a kick up the arse, he's been utter dross for a while now, costing us possession and a goal yesterday.

Won't be sad to see the back of Morris either. He was immense for us last season and played well at the start of this campaign, but the hype around him is totally unjustified and would free up a wage.

If we don't win the title next season it'll be a total failure.

I don't think there'll be too many who disagree with this. You've the spine of the team who comfortably finished second, and you'll ne doubt add a proven goal scorer.

With Morton, the only other FT outfit, having only a handful of players signed and their managerial appointment looking less than ambitious, it'd be an absolute disaster for Dunfy if they dont win the league. A third season in the third tier with a full time squad would be financial suicide. Unthinkable, surely?

Glad I'm not the only one who gets pissed off with people misspelling Jefferies!

I don't think it's surprising that Morris has been off-colour ever since it came out about him not signing a new deal. I don't think that went down well. I would worry if Kerr Young is the long-term plan in defence. He's still young but he's not good enough just now. Martin and Page sounds ok but in an ideal world I'd want a more experienced guy in.

We'd obviously have a better squad with Falkingham in it but I don't think he's be a big a loss as Geggan would be. I think Scully will be hard to replace as he has had a great campaign. Are Thistle wanting him back next season? If so, do we go and get someone else in or give Goodfellow a shot? Not sure he's ready but I think he deserves a chance to prove himself.

Up front, we're struggling. Wallace will hopefully recover from his surgery fairly quickly but he's the only good striker we've got. Shankland will be away, Smith hasn't really had an extended run and neither Faissal nor Thomson are actually strikers. Moffat would be excellent and I'd love to see Barrowman back if the money was right and he doesn't still hold a grudge after everything that happened.

Scully has been offered a new contract by PT so if we want to sign him, even if he rejects Partick's offer and leaves them, then we, or whoever else tried to sign him, would be due compensation as he's under 24.

Edited by dafcburty

I don't think there'll be too many who disagree with this. You've the spine of the team who comfortably finished second, and you'll ne doubt add a proven goal scorer.

With Morton, the only other FT outfit, having only a handful of players signed and their managerial appointment looking less than ambitious, it'd be an absolute disaster for Dunfy if they dont win the league. A third season in the third tier with a full time squad would be financial suicide. Unthinkable, surely?

Nothing's ever simple with us. Yes, financially, it'd be calamitous if we don't go up. Crowds may regularly go below 1500 which is not good.

We are screaming for a decent striker and a solid defence. If we get that sorted I think we're on our way but Airdrie and Morton are going to push us all the way.

Airdrie and Morton are going to push us all the way.

Can't see it. We are currently in flux with rumours abounding of further budget cuts and increased stadium rent. If Bollan works a similar miracle to last year, we'll get a play off spot.

Morton have 4 players signed, it's difficult to imagine that Duffy will be able to field a team capable of challenging.

Ayr to finish a distant second.

Can't see it. We are currently in flux with rumours abounding of further budget cuts and increased stadium rent.

Do you know how much Airdrie currently pay to rent the ground? Just interested to see how it compares with ours, since we start paying rent on EEP this season.

Can't see it. We are currently in flux with rumours abounding of further budget cuts and increased stadium rent. If Bollan works a similar miracle to last year, we'll get a play off spot.

Morton have 4 players signed, it's difficult to imagine that Duffy will be able to field a team capable of challenging.

Ayr to finish a distant second.

Peterhead won't be far away.

Da doesn't like any criticism and just spends all his time deflecting it onto other who are trying to come up with reasoned debate.

Dot net personified.

Wouldn't surprise me if it's an alias.

I assure you I'm no alias Kozmaboz. I've never once seen you debate reasonably. All you do is criticise. You offer nothing positive.

Do you know how much Airdrie currently pay to rent the ground? Just interested to see how it compares with ours, since we start paying rent on EEP this season.

Supposedly £6k per game. Although others may be in a more enlightened position regarding that. Judging by what I've read the rent goes up if we have to open more than one stand, and it was reported we were charged over £30k to host Rangers.

Hence the chat about us moving down to share with our less illustrious neighbours....

Supposedly £6k per game. Although others may be in a more enlightened position regarding that. Judging by what I've read the rent goes up if we have to open more than one stand, and it was reported we were charged over £30k to host Rangers.

Hence the chat about us moving down to share with our less illustrious neighbours....

That can't be sustainable surely with the gates Airdrie get. No offence.