Evil Neighbours Thread

I thought the answer in the US was to tell the polis that your black neighbours are smoking the doobies, then wait for the local SWAT team to murder everybody.

Make sure to go out for the evening, though, as they're not supposed to be very good at understanding house/apartment numbers.

3 hours ago, Raidernation said:

My apartment (yup I’m going’murcan) is above my neighbors garage. They obviously never use their front door but go in and out through the garage, which is a remote /powered door.
It’s so f**k-ing invasive and noisy. All day all night.
They also run their dishwasher every night at about 11. The noise won’t stop me sleeping but I can hear it so I’m sure they can hear mine and must know it’s noisy.
I’m a passive soul, but now borderline passive aggressive because of this (and parking issues)
So...
Do I put my dishwasher in at midnight, won’t keep me awake.
Do I do the same with my washing machine and dryer?
Do I just plug a guitar into the amp at 10pm and just play at a low level but loud enough I know they’ll hear me learning a new song so it’ll be the same chords for hours?

Shoot them.

5 hours ago, Raidernation said:

My apartment (yup I’m going’murcan) is above my neighbors garage. They obviously never use their front door but go in and out through the garage, which is a remote /powered door.
It’s so f**k-ing invasive and noisy. All day all night.
They also run their dishwasher every night at about 11. The noise won’t stop me sleeping but I can hear it so I’m sure they can hear mine and must know it’s noisy.
I’m a passive soul, but now borderline passive aggressive because of this (and parking issues)
So...
Do I put my dishwasher in at midnight, won’t keep me awake.
Do I do the same with my washing machine and dryer?
Do I just plug a guitar into the amp at 10pm and just play at a low level but loud enough I know they’ll hear me learning a new song so it’ll be the same chords for hours?

I'd do all three

The folk who lived here before put a shed about a foot inside the garden boundary and then build the fence to that it finished flush with the shed rather than going round the boundary. Can I just knock the fence down and remove the shrubs that the neighbours have put in what is basically my garden? Or should I tell them first and let them dig it up?

I have the plans of the house to show that the land is mine so shouldn't be continuous.

16 minutes ago, 101 said:

The folk who lived here before put a shed about a foot inside the garden boundary and then build the fence to that it finished flush with the shed rather than going round the boundary. Can I just knock the fence down and remove the shrubs that the neighbours have put in what is basically my garden? Or should I tell them first and let them dig it up?

I have the plans of the house to show that the land is mine so shouldn't be continuous.

Personally, I would speak to them and tell them before doing it. However, I'd then do it regardless of what their reaction was. My outlook being that if you just do it you'll likely piss them off, but if you speak to them first there is at least that chance that they're happy with it.

20 minutes ago, 101 said:

You need to use the phrase "get off my land" at some stage. You're already going to look like a cūnt, so you might as well go all the way.

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

You need to use the phrase "get off my land" at some stage. You're already going to look like a cūnt, so you might as well go all the way.

The back of the shed needs painted, how about a nice mural?

1 hour ago, 101 said:

They didn't bother to speak to you before planting it on your land, f**k that courtesy stuff. Set their shed on fire.

1 hour ago, 101 said:

If they have occupied the land in excess of 10 years without challenge they could theoretically make a claim, however if you have a registered title plan showing what’s yours it shouldn’t be an issue. Older titles may not be registered and it can be possible for people to inadvertently register land that is not theirs at point of sale. All property is slowly being registered but if both owners have been there for a long time registration may not have been triggered yet, but saying as you refer to the previous owner I imagine you have a registered title and plan. The only issue is the scale 1:1250 which can be hard to pinpoint minor encroachment.

Definitely speak to them first and explain the situation and show them the plan. You sound as if are in the right but people can be very strange about property - they would need to prove ownership or long term occupation without challenge.

A cautionary tale:-

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/perth-kinross/1925653/feuding-octogenarians-reveal-battle-for-tiny-strip-of-land-has-cost-500k-and-lasted-20-years/

16 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

They didn't bother to speak to you before planting it on your land, f**k that courtesy stuff. Set their shed on fire.

It's my shed and I've just moved in, no idea why the previous owners gave up a strip of their garden.

13 minutes ago, Snobot said:

If they have occupied the land in excess of 10 years without challenge they could theoretically make a claim, however if you have a registered title plan showing what’s yours it shouldn’t be an issue. Older titles may not be registered and it can be possible for people to inadvertently register land that is not theirs at point of sale. All property is slowly being registered but if both owners have been there for a long time registration may not have been triggered yet, but saying as you refer to the previous owner I imagine you have a registered title and plan. The only issue is the scale 1:1250 which can be hard to pinpoint minor encroachment.

Definitely speak to them first and explain the situation and show them the plan. You sound as if are in the right but people can be very strange about property - they would need to prove ownership or long term occupation without challenge.

A cautionary tale:-

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/perth-kinross/1925653/feuding-octogenarians-reveal-battle-for-tiny-strip-of-land-has-cost-500k-and-lasted-20-years/

Thanks that's useful, I took legal cover on my first years home insurance so if it was to be disputed then fairly certain I could get it resolved quickly. 

I'm not even 100% certain that the house is occupied at the moment but will make enquiries.

3 hours ago, 101 said:

Not a fucking chance they are gonna take this well, What the previous owner has done sounds stupid

15 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Aye, previous owner sounds like a moron.

I'd be wary - is the sake of 'about a foot' going to be worth a potential lifetime battle with the neighbour?

It's more so I can get in to properly weather proof the shed otherwise it's as well not being there and then I deffo would want the fence rather than basically my garden running into theirs. 

I went round no one was in and the house looks empty.

Not sure that this puts my neighbour in the "evil" category but this seems the best place to ask.

If you take in a parcel for a neighbour, do you drop it into them or expect them to come for it?

I took a parcel for my next door neighbour on Monday and it's been sitting by the front door since. My other half has been nagging at me to take it round but I don't see why I should - it's their parcel so my view is if they want it they can trudge through the snow to come and get it.

Thoughts?

Just now, Ron Aldo said:

Not sure that this puts my neighbour in the "evil" category but this seems the best place to ask.

If you take in a parcel for a neighbour, do you drop it into them or expect them to come for it?

I took a parcel for my next door neighbour on Monday and it's been sitting by the front door since. My other half has been nagging at me to take it round but I don't see why I should - it's their parcel so my view is if they want it they can trudge through the snow to come and get it.

Thoughts?

Postie could have been an arsehole and not given the correct or sometimes no information on the slip they've put through the door. Happened to me a couple of times. I'd give them 2 days then go round, but stop if it becomes a regular thing.

13 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Thoughts?

I'd take it round if it was for the neighbour I get on with, and wait for the one I don't get on with to come collect it.

21 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Thoughts?

I'm with your other half here, there's no certainty that your neighbour has been made aware of it's delivery or they could genuinely have forgotten to come and get it. I'd just drop it in the next time I'm heading out.

1 hour ago, Ron Aldo said:

Thoughts?

You’re right it doesn’t put them in the evil category. I’d say it’s borderline for you though, ya lazy fucker. 

1 hour ago, Ron Aldo said:

Thoughts?

It’s happened to me before where a parcel was given to a neighbour but no slip left at my flat. Online tracker only showed as delivered, but not to where, so had no idea where it was.