Evil Neighbours Thread

4 hours ago, greendot said:

Take a look here https://idoxwam.dundeecity.gov.uk/idoxpa-web/search.do?action=simple&searchType=ScottishBuildingWarrant and use this reference 24/00241/NDOM7

By the looks of that, the warrant hasn't been issued yet ( Alterations to retail store (Shop). Works include, strip out of building, new electrical and mechanical services including ventilation, heating and lighting. Fire-proofing of mezzanine floors. All new furnishings to the store including front facade colour change.

Ref. No: 24/00241/NDOM7 | Status: Pending Consideration ) so strictly speaking they shouldn't be working regardless of the hour, however as it's a retail premises you'd expect work to be done out of hours so it doesn't impact day trading as much as possible.  Still might be worth while contacting the council and environmental health if you've got a noise complaint.

Interesting. The whole shop is shut whilst the work is going on so the night working is a nonsense. Will present this to the useless environment folk. The contractor already fobbed theM off with numerous lies.

I’ve also enlisted Joe Fitzpatrick of the Ess En Pee to see if he’s any fucking use.

17 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

I can remember when bin men had to come round the back gardens to collect the bins, and carry them on their backs, binmen now don't know they're born.

Cause the binmen are wasted and don't like walking more than they have to, you'll soon need to wait out with your bin for them coming, and hook the bin up and press the button to empty it yourself. Or take your rubbish to a tip as they'll scrap bin collections, you heard it here first.

binmen in inverness are the mutts nuts, never any hassles or issues with them not collecting this or that because of some minor infringement

14 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Interesting. The whole shop is shut whilst the work is going on so the night working is a nonsense. Will present this to the useless environment folk. The contractor already fobbed theM off with numerous lies.

I’ve also enlisted Joe Fitzpatrick of the Ess En Pee to see if he’s any fucking use.

how about contacting the police?

22 hours ago, Hard Graft said:

A few years ago someone told me they had the same problem - he was a  night shift worker and the neighbour left his two dogs alone in the house all day where they barked constantly.  My advice was the next time the dogs were out in the garden, before the neighbour left, was to slip them some laxative chocolate.  He duly did this and when the neighbour returned home apparently the scenes were horrific and the dogs were shortly afterwards rehoused.

Or slip it some narcotics through the fence.

ETA: what's the law's stance on washing your partially-open slatted fence by throwing buckets of water against it when a barking dog just happens to be up against the other side? Or the use of a high-pressure power washer.  Asking for a friend, obviously.

Edited by Hedgecutter

50 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Or slip it some narcotics through the fence.

ETA: what's the law's stance on washing your partially-open slatted fence by throwing buckets of water against it when a barking dog just happens to be up against the other side? Or the use of a high-pressure power washer.  Asking for a friend, obviously.

TBF it's not the dog's fault. Fairer to wash the fence when the owner is behind it. 

13 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

TBF it's not the dog's fault. Fairer to wash the fence when the owner is behind it. 

It's actually really nice and clearly just wants a playmate.

The awkward thing for me is that it's owners are Polish, and so I need to be the weirdo Scotsman speaking Polish if want to tell it to be quiet (which works for all of one minute) or that it's being a good girl when it stops.

Part of me thinks it can be partially trained from my side when the owners aren't around, but that's probably stepping into weirdo territory?

Edited by Hedgecutter

1 hour ago, Soapy FFC said:

Funnily enough my wife accidently did that to a guy in our first house not long after we were married, back in the 80's, every time the guy went a walk with his dog past our garden his rottweiler always went nuts having a go at our back fence biting and scratching trying to get at our labrador, my wife had just finished doing some dishes and went out with the basin full of soapy water and flung it at the fence to put the dog off, and soaked the guy. Did the trick though, never let his pooch come over to our fence barking again.😄 

4 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Funnily enough my wife accidently did that to a guy in our first house not long after we were married, back in the 80's, every time the guy went a walk with his dog past our garden his rottweiler always went nuts having a go at our back fence biting and scratching trying to get at our labrador, my wife had just finished doing some dishes and went out with the basin full of soapy water and flung it at the fence to put the dog off, and soaked the guy. Did the trick though, never let his pooch come over to our fence barking again.😄 

An accident, did she normally throw dish water at the fence?

On 18/07/2024 at 11:13, Melanius Mullarkey said:

No. Why do the bins need to sit next to the kerb? 

Because it’s a street and folk park their cars there. Bins next to the kerb mean folk can’t get out their cars. 

Just seen this.

Shouldn't have complained about access to you motor but rather it was getting in the way of another neighbour using their wheelchair.

Bins should be placed at the back of the pavement so there is as much space as possible for pedestrians ad also less chance of them blowing over in a gale.

5 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I am. It was a STRONGLY WORDED email as well.

It's not good enough. 

The Pie and Bovril Community demand to see you standing outside the premises with your compo face in the local rag. Bonus for pointing. 

17 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Just seen this.

Shouldn't have complained about access to you motor but rather it was getting in the way of another neighbour using their wheelchair.

Bins should be placed at the back of the pavement so there is as much space as possible for pedestrians ad also less chance of them blowing over in a gale.

Would need to be a pretty strong gale and skinny pedestrian for that to happen.

13 hours ago, tamthebam said:

It's not good enough. 

The Pie and Bovril Community demand to see you standing outside the premises with your compo face in the local rag. Bonus for pointing. 

Your quote in the paper should include the phrase 'kick in the peh'.

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Would need to be a pretty strong gale and skinny pedestrian for that to happen.

It's not particularly unusual for our wheelie bins to blow over once they've been emptied.  The small food bins once emptied regularly end up well away from where they were left.  Not helped by the bin men chucking the emptied food bins from half way across the road.

I may be at fault for not getting up at 6.30 a.m. to sit at my door to retrieve them but I doubt I'm alone in that.