The weird stadiums thread

Swampy

1 hour ago, Highland Capital said:

It might have been mentioned already, but is there not a team in the Lithuanian top flight indoors?  I'm sure I came across that once on YouTube Live of all places!

Pretty sure there is at least one in Norway.

ETA: Looks like Stabaek no longer use the Telenor arena. Ah well.

960x.jpg

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Highland Capital said:

It might have been mentioned already, but is there not a team in the Lithuanian top flight indoors?  I'm sure I came across that once on YouTube Live of all places!

Most likely.

Sibir Novosibirsk (currently of the Russian First Division, although they have played in the Premier recently) play games indoor sometimes. Which is fair enough seeing as they're from Siberia.

4 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Incidentally, apparently only Oriam is allowed to be used for competitive games... Roofs are too low at the rest. Shortly after it opened they played a prolonged Junior Cup postponement in Ravenscraig and the ball hit the rafters several times in each half, resulting in a drop-ball. Clearance isn't much down sides.

That might be the game I was at with Rab B Nesbit in Jan 2013. Thorniewood v Camelon. I'd never even heard of the place, but trust Rab to sniff out a new ground for the New Year :lol:

4 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Incidentally, apparently only Oriam is allowed to be used for competitive games... Roofs are too low at the rest. Shortly after it opened they played a prolonged Junior Cup postponement in Ravenscraig and the ball hit the rafters several times in each half, resulting in a drop-ball. Clearance isn't much down sides.

Thorniewood v. Camelon if I remember correctly. I was at it. I don't remember the height being much of a problem. JC the keeper who posted here played in it for Thorniewood.

There was definitely an issue with the ball striking the roof - I remember it being mentioned at the time, and the questions of whether the referee should have played on or whether he was right to stop play and have a contested drop ball. (Presumably there was actually an SFA protocol). I think one even occurred in the box?!

I've a funny feeling there was one other Junior game played indoor around that time - so it may be that game as opposed to this one.

Certainly there have been none since AFAIA and no Senior game had been played indoors until Oriam opened and it has a far higher span.

19 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

According to Wiki there are 2 who play in the same indoor stadium. FK Suduva Marijampole and VMFD Zalgiris Vilnius.

The Sportima Arena

ca0b6d0c52f4fe539727045c7003382b.JPG

250px-Sportima_Arena.JPG

6 hours ago, The Minertaur said:

According to Wiki there are 2 who play in the same indoor stadium. FK Suduva Marijampole and VMFD Zalgiris Vilnius.

The Sportima Arena

ca0b6d0c52f4fe539727045c7003382b.JPG

250px-Sportima_Arena.JPG

I've seen quite a few Zalgiris games because I'm a mad degenerate gambler, and I've only ever seen them use what appears to be the Lithuanian national stadium in Vilnius. Which is definitely outdoors. And Suduva is a town relatively far away from Vilnius, so I'm not sure why they'd use an arena some distance away from their own location.

Maybe it's just a case of different clubs from all over the country using it in freezing temperatures.

There are Winter Cups in Estonia and Lithuania, which I presume may go indoor if the weather is bad, but not one in Lithuania.

That said the attendances in Estonia do not seem very encouraging... Wikipedia has figures listed for 46 matches in the group stage of the 2016 Estonian Winter Tournament - the highest was 100 for the tie between clubs which came 1st & 3rd in the top division; the lowest was 6 between a third tier side and a B team; and the average was 30 :lol:.

Things were little better in Latvia - played exclusively in the Skonto Hall - with the highest 150 between Skonto Riga and Jelgava; the lowest 50 between Jelgava and University-METTA; and average of 93.

League averages were 325 and 488 respectively.

That indoor stadium in Norway looks tremendous. An indoor stadium in Scotland with decent capacity (5K+) would make for an incredible atmosphere. Looks like roof height would be the biggest problem, having a drop ball every game because the ball's hitting the roof would make it all seem a bit amateurish. 

4 hours ago, smpar said:

That indoor stadium in Norway looks tremendous. An indoor stadium in Scotland with decent capacity (5K+) would make for an incredible atmosphere. Looks like roof height would be the biggest problem, having a drop ball every game because the ball's hitting the roof would make it all seem a bit amateurish. 

Gregory Tade wouldn't mind playing indoors I would imagine. Only player I've ever seen receive a second booking for smashing a shot right over the stand behind the goals at Airdrie, for "time wasting" apparently. Legend that he is....

On 09/12/2016 at 16:47, Nightmare said:

I've seen quite a few Zalgiris games because I'm a mad degenerate gambler, and I've only ever seen them use what appears to be the Lithuanian national stadium in Vilnius. Which is definitely outdoors. And Suduva is a town relatively far away from Vilnius, so I'm not sure why they'd use an arena some distance away from their own location.

Maybe it's just a case of different clubs from all over the country using it in freezing temperatures.

Aye, I've seen them play a few times while over in Lithuania and never heard of them playing anywhere bar the national stadium

I recall seeing Iceland play the Faroe Islands in an indoor ground several years back; think it was a full international but with Iceland having fielded a severely weakened side.

Too soon.

I remember there was a great trivia question years ago - where is the only place in the world where McDonald's fries aren't served in red and yellow packaging, and the answer was the branch in  Besiktas stadium. They were served in black and white packaging because red and yellow are too close to the colours of Galatasaray. Don't know of that's still the case mind you.

Archived