Last Book You Read....

H_B

Finished my final Ian Banks- The Quarry. Very melancholy, unsurprisingly given that both he and his main character were dying of cancer. 7/10
Now onto 4th of July creek by Smith Henderson. It says on the blurb that it is reminiscent of the magnificent Cormac McCarthy so will give it a try on that basis alone.

On 15/03/2018 at 11:39, KnightswoodBear said:

I'm making my way through The Expanse series of books by James A. Corey.  Just started book 4.

I watched the first 2 seasons of the TV show before I started reading the books, but i've overtaken where they are in that now.  

They're really enjoyable and I hope the TV show gets the chance to go where the books have. 

i've only read Caliban's War and don't know how typical it is, but it read like it was a hbo type serial in draft. 

I didn't know there wad already a show so may have to have a watch now.

17 minutes ago, coprolite said:

i've only read Caliban's War and don't know how typical it is, but it read like it was a hbo type serial in draft. 

I didn't know there wad already a show so may have to have a watch now.

Seasons 1 and 2 are on Netflix.  3 has just started in the US.  Think it's either coming to SyFy or Netflix in the Autumn. 

Took a break from slogging through the Iliad (which isn’t as good as the sequel) and read this

IMG_2647.thumb.jpg.a7ce07e2707503fd244cd92ce9353352.jpg

Late Victorian chap recounts going on a boating holiday up the Thames with a couple of chums and in the process delivers a lot of wry observations on human nature

It’s better than I made it sound

On 4/18/2018 at 02:29, Co.Down Hibee said:

Finished Cold Granite by Stuart Macbride, really enjoyed it,dare I say it but it may be on a par with Rebus...has anyone read the other books in the series? Is it worth going through them?

Read this one early last year, but cannot recall if I read anything else by him. Will need to look back and see if I commented on it on this thread but I seem to recall being quite non plussed by the book and not bothering with any of his other stuff.

Not done a great deal of reading recently. Picked up a whack of books when clearing out my dads old place and went through most of them, mostly Reg McKay books on various shady Glasgow types and a few Elmore Leonard novels. Currently stuck in some heavy political theory stuff which is fairly slow going, but will get there eventually.

21 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

The Game by Ken Dryden

It's a shame a vast, vast majority of professional athletes are comparatively uneducated.

The vast majority of the world ‘s population is comparatively uneducated compared to people that are more educated than them.

Sport is a profession in which you are less likely to be held back by a lack of education. 

You’re also less likely to do an Accounts degree or finish that HNC in hospitality if you already earn a 6, 7 or 8 figures in your early 20s.

So compared to professional writers (for example)  they would be less educated.

My point is that, really, it’s a shame that so many educated people are unathletic.

Finished Cold Granite by Stuart Macbride, really enjoyed it,dare I say it but it may be on a par with Rebus...has anyone read the other books in the series? Is it worth going through them?
Absolutely, just finished Now We Are Dead - An offshoot of the McRae series. You don't have to but try and read the books in order, there are a few recurring themes/stories.

I see the new McRae one is out in June.

3 minutes ago, Kennboy1978 said:

Absolutely, just finished Now We Are Dead - An offshoot of the McRae series. You don't have to but try and read the books in order, there are a few recurring themes/stories.

I see the new McRae one is out in June.

MacBride is superb I love this series