Last Book You Read....

H_B

Just finished reading 'Stramash' written by Daniel Gray. It's about a lad from Middlesbrough who is sick of the high earned, fancy football and wants to experience so called 'real football'. So, he decides to travel round the majority of the lower league teams in Scotland talking about each towns history and talking about the game. The only reason it caught my eye was because it is Morton fans, from around the 1980's, on the front. He actually says "Greenock Morton gave me back my love of football."

medium-cover.jpg

The kid at the front's wearing the 95-96 top, I believe:

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_Football_League/Greenock_Morton/Greenock_Morton.htm

That was the season we almost got to the Premier Division playoff.

The Evolution of an Empire - A brief historical sketch of Germany

By

Mary Parmele (Published 1893)

A free kindle book and quite interesting. Written at a time twenty years Before the First World War, so you can get a feeling of the varied and often violent history of Germany.

7/10

post-32863-19193_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I've just finished "A Feast for Crows", book 4 in the "Song of Ice and Fire" series. I'm still enjoying it, but I wish to f**k the story would move forward a bit. Loads happening but nothing to move the story onwards. I've heard that "Dance with Dragons" is much the same :(

The kid at the front's wearing the 95-96 top, I believe:

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_Football_League/Greenock_Morton/Greenock_Morton.htm

That was the season we almost got to the Premier Division playoff.

I attended the game in question, against Dunfermline if I'm remembering correctly, and it would indeed have been the mid 90's. It was a fairly dreich day.

a chancer by james kelman - I would recommend this one for all scottish people, comparable to trainspotting. Very good book.

A structured anarchism - very good.

Revolutionary road by richard yates - good so far anyway.

Currently reading 11-22-63 by Stephen King fairly good read so far, about a guy who finds a time portal and tries to prevent the Kennedy assasination

I was bought this for Christmas, haven't got round to it yet...

Recently reread Animal Farm for the first time since we went over it in school over decade ago. Pigs are b*****ds.

Also read The Tiger's Wife by Tea Obreht. A girl tells the reader stories her grandfather - who we learn has recently died at the start - had told her of his earlier life, concentrating on a tiger, a woman and a deathless man. It's a slow burner but I thought it was well written and constructed. Others I've spoken to about it have had mixed reactions to it. Probably around 6.5/10.

Just finished The Stornoway Way by Kevin MacNeil. This is the story of an artist on Lewis and his life, which relies heavily on drink. I imagine anyone reading it will find a situation described in here they've found themselves in at some stage or can relate to in some way, and it's spliced with lessons in practical gaelic too. Entertaining and educational all in the same book. 8/10.

I've just finished "A Feast for Crows", book 4 in the "Song of Ice and Fire" series. I'm still enjoying it, but I wish to f**k the story would move forward a bit. Loads happening but nothing to move the story onwards. I've heard that "Dance with Dragons" is much the same :(

Yeah, I found a feast for crows pretty slow on my first read of it, I found Dance to be a bit better in terms of pace (still not as good as A Storm of Swords though!)

Being a bit of a sad b*stard I'm on my third read through the series at the moment, it was only on my re-read of A feast for crows, once I knew how important some of the new characters are that I started to really enjoy it.

The virtue of selfishness by Ayn rand - Interesting but not very pleasant. Says, its our moral obligation to act for our own sake, not the general population and advocates lassaiez fairre capitalism. However it all boils down to a contempt for the general, working population, describing them as animals, looters, brutes a lot. And she defended the exploitative, hoarding, tyrannical people who own everything. Her stance is basically, we have to make way for the homo superior and not try tostop them in from destroying the natural world ect. You cound't take this stance unless you've never been in a position of poverty, illness, or even just working. I guess she's had a fairly easy time. Shes luckily managed todo something she likes and scorns at and dislike anyone to fails to.

Edited by jojo

I was bought this for Christmas, haven't got round to it yet...

Recently reread Animal Farm for the first time since we went over it in school over decade ago. Pigs are b*****ds.

Also read The Tiger's Wife by Tea Obreht. A girl tells the reader stories her grandfather - who we learn has recently died at the start - had told her of his earlier life, concentrating on a tiger, a woman and a deathless man. It's a slow burner but I thought it was well written and constructed. Others I've spoken to about it have had mixed reactions to it. Probably around 6.5/10.

Just finished The Stornoway Way by Kevin MacNeil. This is the story of an artist on Lewis and his life, which relies heavily on drink. I imagine anyone reading it will find a situation described in here they've found themselves in at some stage or can relate to in some way, and it's spliced with lessons in practical gaelic too. Entertaining and educational all in the same book. 8/10.

Same here, sstarted it ,then lost interest(nowt to do with book, just own mood)

started it again last week and really enjoying it now, so far it's well worth reading biggrin.gif

The Devil's Star by Jo Nesbø.

Quite good but nothing special, a crime novel as part of his Harry Hole series, essentially the third part of a trilogy which makes up a greater part of the Hole series (apologies for the awful pun). It's essentially Rebus in Norway. Decent enough read though and the first two books were good enough to compel me to finish the trilogy.

Away to read Wuthering Heights as it's one of these books referenced and talked about all the time and I've never read it. Trying to get through most of the 'classics' just so I have an idea what people are talking about when mentioning literature, so far I've found some to be great, some to be utterly dull but I've pretended to like them just so the literati don't condemn me.

Currently reading 11-22-63 by Stephen King fairly good read so far, about a guy who finds a time portal and tries to prevent the Kennedy assasination

Really good book, gets better as it goes on. Took me a couple of days.

Just finished the latest omnibus of Glenn Cook's Black Company books.

Currently reading Pillars of the Earth series by Ken Follett, split with James Patterson books cos I can manage one of them in a few hours, nice and easy reading.

Edited by Raidernation

You cound't take this stance unless you've never been in a position of poverty, illness, or even just working. I guess she's had a fairly easy time. Shes luckily managed todo something she likes and scorns at and dislike anyone to fails to.

ayn rand is a nasty piece of work but she had some tough times growing up in revolution era russia.

a lot of her views are probably a reaction against the marxism-leninism ideology which fucked her life up.

Finished this and found it very readable, which isn't always the case with French classics. Also read and enjoyed When the Devil Drives by Christopher - whoops, I mean Chris - Brookmyre.

Now reading La Curée by Emile Zola. It's the second of the Rougon Macquart, and I'm finding it tough going so far.

Very tough going. I finished it yesterday. laugh.gif

Now reading Africans: the History of a Continent by John Iliffe.

Anthony Beevor - D-Day, a brilliant piece of work and a must read IMO for anyone interested in WW2.

Most of the way through it at the moment. His writing style is very good and the book is as easy accessible as Band Of Brothers.

Most of the way through it at the moment. His writing style is very good and the book is as easy accessible as Band Of Brothers.

If you haven't already, read Stephen Ambrose's D-Day book, also a good read. I'll need to get Beevor's Stalingrad and Berlin books ordered up at the library.