Last Book You Read....

H_B

Please tell me Ferguson Shaw is a made up name and not your pal's real one?

Yeah he shat out going for his real name. :lol: It's a family name I think. :wacko:

Hope those that have bought it, do enjoy it and please leave open feedback. He wants as much developmental feedback on it as he can and not just all "It's fucking great, buy it"

Now reading 'If On A Winter's Night A Traveller' by Italo Calvino, too early to qualitatively rate it, "meta" though.

i read this a few years ago.

the first chapters were all brilliant but the main story tapered off a bit at the end.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Worst-Evils-Keir-Harper/dp/1484001222/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366279339&sr=8-1&keywords=the+worst+of+evils

A shameless plug for my mates first published book if it takes your fancy. The wife has told me it's pretty/brutally violent but she loved it.

Like the sound of it, and it's only 3 quid on the Kindle, probably go for it.

Bought it too, read the first couple of chapters earlier. Quite promising so far.

Hope those that have bought it, do enjoy it and please leave open feedback. He wants as much developmental feedback on it as he can and not just all "It's fucking great, buy it"

Finished this tonight, and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The writing itself is fairly amateurish - which is to be expected - and the plot is pretty preposterous. It's set in Glasgow, and could easily be renamed 'Die Hard Ya Bams' given how ludicrous some of the action is. The characters, although lacking in any real depth and pretty clichéd, are mostly good fun, and the pace of the book is just right for the subject matter. There's no filler here, just a straight ahead non-stop narrative, which is quite refreshing in its own way. The style reminded me a bit of some of Simon Kernick's works. Definitely a 'park yer brain on the way in' type of book, but there's nothing wrong with that.

It's a violent novel, but that's balanced with some lovely, dark humour. A lot of good one-liners, although some of them are at ill-thought spots in the story.

It's a difficult one to really criticise. It's not going to win any awards, but if you want a cracking wee crime thriller that'll keep you entertained throughout, you could do a lot worse. I'm not usually a great fan of 1st person novels, but this one worked well in that regard. Nice wee twist at the end too. Gonnae give it a generous 7/10.

i read this a few years ago.

the first chapters were all brilliant but the main story tapered off a bit at the end.

Done with this. It's funnier and less head-up-arse than it sounds, like Jasper Fforde for pseudo-intellectuals like me.

Franzen's 'The Corrections' was quite a sedate read at the start. Starts to pick up once they start going into the background of the family. Can be quite funny in places. I enjoy books about dysfunctional families though. I think I may be cruel.

Done with this. It's funnier and less head-up-arse than it sounds, like Jasper Fforde for pseudo-intellectuals like me.

Franzen's 'The Corrections' was quite a sedate read at the start. Starts to pick up once they start going into the background of the family. Can be quite funny in places. I enjoy books about dysfunctional families though. I think I may be cruel.

'Bedsit Disco Queen' by Tracey Thorn now

quite an impressive feat reading the whole of the corrections in 2 minutes.

I've just read Altdorf (The Forest Knights) by JK Swift. It's based on the 1300 in Austria occupied Switzerland where Knights Hospitallers have returned home and settling back into Civvy Street.

Read this after finishing all the Game of Thrones books and thought they would take some beating, but is a thoroughly enjoyable book. It has brilliant characters, violence and a wee bit of magic.

Anyone read any Capote? Couple of his novels (In Cold Blood, and another) in the charity shop by work.

In Cold Blood's good. Capote was a total dick and that comes across in it but it's very well written and kind of morbidly fascinating. Some baloney faux-psychoanalysis in it.

Was reading Doughnut by Tom Holt, which I was thoroughly enjoying, but now my Kindle's broken and they can only send a replacement to a UK address. Home in two weeks anyway, bit shitey just now though. Also recently finished Le Ventre de Paris by Emile Zola, which is the third in the Rougon Macquart series (as always a bit wordy but good when it gets going) and Tamango by Prosper Mérimée (short story about an African taken as a slave by a French vessel in Napoleonic times. Alright). Bought Private Los Angeles by James Patterson in French to keep me going until I get home, the good thing being it's not one I'll necessarily be too bothered about taking back with me and that the level of language shouldn't be too difficult.

Finished this tonight, and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The writing itself is fairly amateurish - which is to be expected - and the plot is pretty preposterous. It's set in Glasgow, and could easily be renamed 'Die Hard Ya Bams' given how ludicrous some of the action is. The characters, although lacking in any real depth and pretty clichéd, are mostly good fun, and the pace of the book is just right for the subject matter. There's no filler here, just a straight ahead non-stop narrative, which is quite refreshing in its own way. The style reminded me a bit of some of Simon Kernick's works. Definitely a 'park yer brain on the way in' type of book, but there's nothing wrong with that.

It's a violent novel, but that's balanced with some lovely, dark humour. A lot of good one-liners, although some of them are at ill-thought spots in the story.

It's a difficult one to really criticise. It's not going to win any awards, but if you want a cracking wee crime thriller that'll keep you entertained throughout, you could do a lot worse. I'm not usually a great fan of 1st person novels, but this one worked well in that regard. Nice wee twist at the end too. Gonnae give it a generous 7/10.

I clicked on the link to Amazon, & the moment I saw that 9 of the 14 "reviewers" hadn't reviewed anything else in their nelly-puff, that was enough for me to pass it.