Last Book You Read....

H_B

Picked up a couple of oddities from the charity shop...

923014_10151372597711433_78036654_n.jpg

bit weird, but undoubtably hot. Indubitably.

$(KGrHqQOKo8E1qvCdOswBNdZnic,jw~~_35.JPG

Actually a great read this. It goes into detail about each series in turn and of course the tragic events surrounding Series 2...

..when the gangster bloke tries to stitch them all up.

afw WAS great though wasn't it. Barry is one of the best televisual creations ever, Timothy Spall is excellent even in series 3 and 4. Watched the 3rd series again recently and its much better than i remembered it tbf. The pacing is a lot different to series 1 and 2 and its more plot based than character but it works. Gary Holton is sadly missed from the newer ones, but I think Nighy was funny as f**k in it.

Anyway novel wise i'm on Brothers Karamazov now. Bloody hell. I'm still well over 100 pages from the end and it's a bit of a slog to be honest.

Just finished 'A Game of Thrones', obviously by George RR Martin. After the 3rd season ended I decided to read the books just because my brother got them all for his birthday. Didn't think I'd manage but have read the first in less than a week which for me, to finish an 800 page book that quick tells you something about the book. Despite the fact that I knew everything that was going to happen (bar a few extra details the first book is near identical to the first season script) I was still hooked.

Just need to wait for my brother to finish the second so I can continue but can see myself finishing them all for the Summer then I shall have no more fear of spoilers when talking about the series :P

as i was on holiday in the countryside for the best part of a week i had a chance to chill out and read which ive not been able to do for a good while, so i managed to read both dan browns inferno and sebastian faulks' devil may care

the dan brown book gave me what i expected, lots of historical places described well (always wanted to visit the places he portrays in his books, italy sounds lovely everytime he uses it in his books), decent characters, robert langdon is quite easy to like and the storyline is actually pretty entertaining

nice twist at the end as well which, while i expected one, didnt think it would be what it was

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/arts-entertainment/middle-classes-excited-about-not-reading-dan-browns-inferno-2013051468602

Just finished 'A Game of Thrones', obviously by George RR Martin. After the 3rd season ended I decided to read the books just because my brother got them all for his birthday. Didn't think I'd manage but have read the first in less than a week which for me, to finish an 800 page book that quick tells you something about the book. Despite the fact that I knew everything that was going to happen (bar a few extra details the first book is near identical to the first season script) I was still hooked.

Just need to wait for my brother to finish the second so I can continue but can see myself finishing them all for the Summer then I shall have no more fear of spoilers when talking about the series :P

Read this myself last month for the same reasons! I thought it was OK without being brilliant - the politics of the warring families is well done, but the book itself is a bit bloated. A good read and you can fair romp through it, but as a standalone book nowhere near the best the genre has to offer. Maybe once I've read the rest I'll change my mind!

Actually think its one of the few occasions where the TV show is better.

Last book I read was called Hawthorn and Child, a kind of Paul Auster esque take on the detective novel. Very good.

Just finished the 14th Jack Reacher book, "61 Hours", and have just started the 15th one, "Worth Dying For". It's been a terrific series, some better than others, but all of a good standard. The writing itself isn't particularly great in a literary sense, but that's hardly the point.

Just finished the 14th Jack Reacher book, "61 Hours", and have just started the 15th one, "Worth Dying For". It's been a terrific series, some better than others, but all of a good standard. The writing itself isn't particularly great in a literary sense, but that's hardly the point.

I have dozens of Paterson books on my Kindle, I reckon all the Reacher ones are there too. Are they all connected? Or would you not have to start on one and pick and choose what ones you read, what's your favourite one?

, I reckon all the Reacher ones are there too. Are they all connected? Or would you not have to start on one and pick and choose what ones you read, what's your favourite one?

There are certain threads that go from book to book, but you can read them individually without having read the others. I would advise doing them in order though. The two best ones IMO are 'Persuader' and the one they made into the film, 'One Shot'.

EDIT - The worst one is most definitely the first one. It's very poorly written compared to the others, and the story isn't all that great. I only persevered as Ruggy from here said the series was great. And he was right!

Edited by StewartyMac

There are certain threads that go from book to book, but you can read them individually without having read the others. I would advise doing them in order though. The two best ones IMO are 'Persuader' and the one they made into the film, 'One Shot'.

I seen the film, thought it was good. I'll be reading Game Of Thrones for the foreseeable but I like to know what I'm going to read next.

did you greet at any point?

i'm not ashamed to say i got a bit dusty at certain bits.

Short answer is no.

I'm now reading "The Psychopath Test" by Jon Ronson. My lack of empathy, amongst other personality traits, has me asking questions of myself...

I've just discovered that there has been another Rebus book since Exit Music called Standing in Another Man's Grave.

Has anyone read it, and if so, is it worth getting a hold of? I was a massive fan of the Rebus novels, but Rankin always said that he would retire him once he got to retirement age in the books. I'm worried that this is a cash grab.

Amazon also has another one out later this year too.

I've just discovered that there has been another Rebus book since Exit Music called Standing in Another Man's Grave.

Has anyone read it, and if so, is it worth getting a hold of? I was a massive fan of the Rebus novels, but Rankin always said that he would retire him once he got to retirement age in the books. I'm worried that this is a cash grab.

Amazon also has another one out later this year too.

I bought a copy of it in Vienna, of all places. Was kinda disappointed that he hadn't left Rebus retired, but the book itself is worth reading. Far from the best of the Rebus novels, but not a bad read all the same.

I bought a copy of it in Vienna, of all places. Was kinda disappointed that he hadn't left Rebus retired, but the book itself is worth reading. Far from the best of the Rebus novels, but not a bad read all the same.

I'd agree with your assessment, however I'm glad Rebus is back - great fictional character and potential for another, better book. I also wish Ken Stott would agree to do more TV adaptations; if ever there was a perfect fit for a character....

I'd agree with your assessment, however I'm glad Rebus is back - great fictional character and potential for another, better book. I also wish Ken Stott would agree to do more TV adaptations; if ever there was a perfect fit for a character....

And on the flipside, John Hannah! What WERE they thinking??

Until Jack Reacher was portrayed on film by Tom Cruise.

Yeah, fair point. If you were to read a description of the Reacher character then be asked which famous would best portray him Cruise wouldn't make the top hundred. Mind you I'm looking forward to the next Reacher novel where he becomes a Scientologist.

Alan Warner's The Deadman's Pedal but really struggling to get beyond to get into it. Three attempts so far but will get beyond p16 one day

The last Alan Warner book I read was The Man Who Walks and I loved it...but he isn't an easy read. He doesn't tell simple stories with a beginning, middle and ending but I love his books.

In contrast, last night I finished, "The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared" and that is so not Alan Warner.

It is, though, a good yarn and a bit of a laugh. It was written in Swedish but has been well translated.

I thought he brought the character back quite well, in terms of his role and what he had been doing in his "retirement". Also thought he mixed it well with Malcolm Fox too. My main worry was that the "last" Rebus novel had ended very well, and bringing him back might ruin it.