Last Book You Read....

H_B

I have. It starts to get going at a fair pace half way through book 2 and ends up really engrossing. The last book in the series tends to divide opinion a bit but I loved it.

Yeah I absolutely loved it, the ending took me a while to get used to but I guess it was the best way to do it.

I've heard he wrote another called 'The Wind Through The Key Whole' I haven't read it though.

I agree, midway through the second it picks up, but I also enjoyed 'The Gunslinger' it was much simpler than the ones that came after it but its a great short story.

Supposedly they are looking into making a movie.

Before seeing the movie, I decided to start to read World War Z. Being a fan of The Walking Dead, I was keen to get this book. I wasn't disappointed and really enjoyed it from start to finish. The book is set in a report/interview style which I was worried about but the writer manages to nail the different styles nicely. It gives a good run through of how the pandemic starts and spreads and how people would re-act to a zombie outbreak.

Before seeing the movie, I decided to start to read World War Z. Being a fan of The Walking Dead, I was keen to get this book. I wasn't disappointed and really enjoyed it from start to finish. The book is set in a report/interview style which I was worried about but the writer manages to nail the different styles nicely. It gives a good run through of how the pandemic starts and spreads and how people would re-act to a zombie outbreak.

The book is absolutely fantastic. I love how it's stories from all over the world, I've heard the film is only from the American point of view.

Imajica by Clive Barker - last read it years ago and decided to give it another go to see if it was as good as I remembered. Utterly fantastic stuff, his 2nd best book after Weaveworld, the perfect mixture of fantasy and horror, grand in scope and purple of prose.

Just started A Clockwork Orange. Well, the foreward by Blake Morrisson. Never know whether to read the forewards or not. Anyone got an opinion on this?

I always read them warily and ready to slam it shut at any hint of a spoiler. Had a couple of books ruined that way :P

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

If you like James Patterson then you will maybe .., just a little bit enjoy a Sheila Quigley book. She's not a bloke. She's British and she's a crime novelist. She writes wonderfully about her local area and characters and she has a hellish way of hooking you in!

I read Thorn In My Side and was desperate for the next book .... I've just read it. I'm now desperate to read the follow up to Nowhere Man.

Damn that woman - I should be damning the publishers.

Nowhere Man is a story of a police officer and his ..... bugger... go to the library and get Thorn In My Side and then Nowhere Man and you tell me the stuff!

I haven't posted on this thread for months because I've been engrossed in rereading David Copperfield, Dickens' pseudoautobiographical masterpiece. It was thoroughly worth the effort and I feel genuinely enriched by the experience.

as i was on holiday in the countryside for the best part of a week i had a chance to chill out and read which ive not been able to do for a good while, so i managed to read both dan browns inferno and sebastian faulks' devil may care

the dan brown book gave me what i expected, lots of historical places described well (always wanted to visit the places he portrays in his books, italy sounds lovely everytime he uses it in his books), decent characters, robert langdon is quite easy to like and the storyline is actually pretty entertaining

nice twist at the end as well which, while i expected one, didnt think it would be what it was

As for devil may care, i had reservations about reading a james bond novel, i had a feeling it would be boring tbh but i gave it a try simply because i didnt have a film to base it on, how wrong was i, cracking book, follows the james bond style to a t which isnt a bad thing considering how successful they are, and the storyline is actually much much better than some of the films made

what i really liked about this adaptation of bond is that he is like no bond that we have seen before, he is a lot rougher, a lot meaner especially his demeanor, there are no wise cracks with the villain, no funny puns, i could imagine daniel craig playing him looks wise (scars, rough around the edges etc etc)

cracking novel though, read it in a day

Just finished reading Drumossie by Richard Olbrich on Kindle.

Set in a near future Scotland, the SNP have failed to deliver independence and have been overtaken by the National Party of Scotland, who are on course for a landslide election win. Rather than faff about with referendums they seek to instead declare independence on winning the Scottish election. Which doesn't please the UK government one bit...

It's a bit of a clunky read at first and could do with some proper editing here and there. It does pick up the pace later on though, and becomes quite an enjoyable read. It's surprising then that the book comes to such an abrupt end, as if the writer has simply given up.

It's a good premise and entertaining, and could be the basis for a meatier and more satisfying effort, a sort of Tom Clancy meets Alex Salmond.

81larpUOl2L._SL1500_.jpg

RiseoftheNewWorldOrder-The%20Culling%20o

Excerpt

The Earth Summit was held over a two week period beginning on June 13, 1992, and 178 currently sovereign governments voted to adopt the main reason for the meeting: to sign on to a program entailed Agenda 21, which is short for “Agenda for the 21st Century”.
1. The abolishment of all individual nations’ governments and borders
2. The abolishment of all private property
3. The abolishment of all inheritance
4. The abolishment of all Patriotism
5. The abolishment of all Religion---except the one they are preparing for us
6. The abolishment of all family and marriage
7. The culling of mankind down to a more manageable number of not more than 500 million.
These goals come directly out of the proposed actions entailed in Agenda 21, the game plan for the infantile one world government.
“… the resultant ideal sustainable population is hence more than 500 million but less than one billion.” - Club of Rome, Goals for Mankind project, 1977

Just finished reading The Border trilogy, by Cormac McCarthy. Up there as one of the best things I've spent 6 quid on.

did you greet at any point?

i'm not ashamed to say i got a bit dusty at certain bits.

Edited by T_S_A_R

Bizarrely I've just read a book that discussed the Club of Rome also.

Freedom by Jonathan Frantzen. A quite magnificent book. Been called a great American novel and it certainly is. Best book I've read in years.