Last Book You Read....

H_B

Just finished Ecstasy by Irvine Welsh - another cracking Irvine Welsh novel. It's a collection of three short stories that are more like short novels, all connected in some way with ecstasy. Some of it is quite harrowing/uncomfortable to read, but it's a well written book. 8/10.

The Reason I Jump by Naoki Higashida, translated into English by David Mitchell. At £6.99 for a Kindle book that you can read in under an hour, it doesn't seem the greatest value for money but I thought it was worth every penny when I finished. It's been fairly well publicised recently after an article published in the press by David Mitchell (the author, not the other guy) about his son's autism. Naoki himself is also autistic and, at 13, wrote this book explaining how it is to be autistic and answers many of the questions that people have about the condition. I would urge anyone who knows anyone who is autistic to read the book. It gives some valuable insight and it really helped me to understand certain aspects of my own son's behaviour that I was never able to get my head around before.

Just finished reading this ...

IMG_4673.JPG

Japanese book about a group of mid-thirties women who seek revenge on another group, of young male losers after one of the women is murdered. Dark humour and violence abound.

[7.5]

Now reading this ...

racing_through_the_dark_large.jpg2895-44

The Reason I Jump by Naoki Higashida, translated into English by David Mitchell. At £6.99 for a Kindle book that you can read in under an hour, it doesn't seem the greatest value for money but I thought it was worth every penny when I finished. It's been fairly well publicised recently after an article published in the press by David Mitchell (the author, not the other guy) about his son's autism. Naoki himself is also autistic and, at 13, wrote this book explaining how it is to be autistic and answers many of the questions that people have about the condition. I would urge anyone who knows anyone who is autistic to read the book. It gives some valuable insight and it really helped me to understand certain aspects of my own son's behaviour that I was never able to get my head around before.

Would also recommend "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" by Mark Haddon, which is also a tremendously well written book on the subject of Autism.

Would also recommend "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" by Mark Haddon, which is also a tremendously well written book on the subject of Autism.

Yeah, I read that a few years ago and enjoyed it. I think I might give it another go in fact.

As aside, his follow up, A Spot Of Bother, wasn't half as enjoyable.

So, finished the latest Jack Reacher book, 'Worth Dying For', and would give it a solid, 7/10. The plot is complete nonsense, but it's entertaining nonsense.

For the first time, I've now skipped a book in the series as his next one goes back in time to when he was in the army. Moved onto to 'A Wanted Man' which directly follows on from the one I've just read. And in another first for the series, I actually bought this in paperback form earlier today. All his other books I've bought for the Kindle.

So, finished the latest Jack Reacher book, 'Worth Dying For', and would give it a solid, 7/10. The plot is complete nonsense, but it's entertaining nonsense.

For the first time, I've now skipped a book in the series as his next one goes back in time to when he was in the army. Moved onto to 'A Wanted Man' which directly follows on from the one I've just read. And in another first for the series, I actually bought this in paperback form earlier today. All his other books I've bought for the Kindle.

I will admit that I've read more than one Jack Reacher book which is a bit bizarre because I'm sure there is only one plot for all his books. The description of "entertaining nonsense" is very apt; good escapism.

For shame, I've read two James Herbert books in the couple of weeks, Sepulchre and Shrine. Read them both when they first came out, but hey, they were only 99p through Kindle and reading outside has given me the first sun tan I've had in years.

The set up in Herbert's books are always better than the delivery, except for the Rat trilogy. Might read them next to see if they are as good as I remember.

except for the Rat trilogy. Might read them next to see if they are as good as I remember.

Read them on holiday last year. They are. Very much so.

Anyway, not long finished the last Jack Reacher book 'A Wanted Man' and it's one of the better ones of the series. A good, solid 8/10. Think the new one is out in September sometime, and is supposed to be concerning the events of '61 Hours' again, which should be good.

I've just purchased Laurence O'Bryan's 'Istanbul Puzzle' which has had pretty good reviews. Supposedly a bit like The Da Vinci Code but better written. Anyone read this?

Started reading Neal Adams' - Anathem. Only just started it, but pretty decent so far. Big book with concepts 'n' that so think it'll probably take me a while.

This was really good. Starts of a bit slow because it's world building 'n' that but once it starts moving into the first contact with an alien race part the pace picks up. Loads of philosophy and maths bits which I sort of understood while reading it but don't think I've got a clue about now. They fit in well with the actual plot of the book though.

Started on Muriel Spark - The Complete Short Stories now. Really enjoying them so far.

Gridlock by Ben Elton. I picked it up at the local book exchange for holiday reading.

If you like a fiction read that has many a dig at Politics, Politicians, and Corporate Business as well making you think about how people with disabilities have to cope then this won't disappoint.

Ben Elton wrote this over 20 years ago but the political message is still as valid as ever.

A strong 8.5 out of 10. I might even read another BE effort later?

There's a copy left in a holiday village in Paphos Cyprus BTW....

Elmer Gantry by Sinclair Lewis - like wading through treacle in places... basically a social commentary mainly about churches in the US in the 1920s. bit of a mixed bag; some really shit, lazy caricatures alongside really sharp, perceptive satire. on the whole i liked it. contains the expression "ambulance chaser" which surprised me given it was written in 1926.

Finished reading 'Racing Through The Dark - The Fall and Rise of David Millar'

9781409120384.jpg

First sports book I've read in years and one of the best. Brutally honest and well written. I didn't feel much sympathy for Millar after reading the book and I don't think that was his intention but I did end up understanding how he made the choices he did.

Well worth a read. 8.5

His choices have always been inspired by a desire for money and fame.

A horrible hypocrite and a liar of a man.

Tell me more ...

I really don't know much about Millar but as always with these type of books I was wondering how much to believe.

Just finished reading Cold Grave by Craig Robertson

cold-grave-craig-robertson.jpg

Glasgow copper opens up an investigation into a 'cold case' murder that happened in the 90's. First book I've read by this author but was gripped from start to finish and finished it in no time. Very good indeed :)

8/10

Just read The Unburied Dead by Douglas Lindsay. It's a novel about a detective in Glasgow, on the hunt for what they think is a serial killer.

Not bad, not extremely well written though in my opinion. If it had been set anywhere else I'd probably have chucked it halfway through, but the mention of streets and places where I lived for 20 years kept my interest. As well as some genuine laugh out loud moments as he uses Scottish banter sporadically.

I was imagining some American potentially reading it trying to understand what "napper" and "heed the baw" meant.

Got it free on the Kindle store so can't begrudge that.

I think he's going to write a series of books using the same character, so I'll look out for the next one.

I will now give the above book posted by mighty meadow a go. I like books set in places I know/can relate to. No real reason, it just interests me.