Last Book You Read....

H_B

Right, a challenge for the P&B literati.

I'm off to Spain for a week of lounging by the pool and generally doing f**k all before parenthood destroys changes my life forever.

I'm looking for suggestions to put on my kindle for the week.

I'll download the first 4 or 5 suggestions and take them with me. (Assuming I get any)

Over to you.

Right, a challenge for the P&B literati.

I'm off to Spain for a week of lounging by the pool and generally doing f**k all before parenthood destroys changes my life forever.

I'm looking for suggestions to put on my kindle for the week.

I'll download the first 4 or 5 suggestions and take them with me. (Assuming I get any)

Over to you.

Free or nearly-free to kindle: Dickens' novels - I'm presently working my way through David copperfield - it's wonderful, but taking me ages. (You know, I read that flaming book when I was at primary school.) Also - Mark Twain - can't go wrong - clever and funny.

Now reading 'If On A Winter's Night A Traveller' by Italo Calvino, too early to qualitatively rate it, "meta" though.

I read this a couple of months ago. It's good but bizarre. I picked it up without knowing what it was about.

Two books by Dani Amore, Death By Sarcasm and Murder With Sarcastic Intent.

The titles hooked me. They sounded like they'd be clever, satirical and sarcastic. They weren't. This is not sophisticated humour really. Not entirely unenjoyable, very easy to read, I finished each book within a few hours. I'd imagine that, generally, women would enjoy these far more than men would (the protagonist is a 'ballsy' female PI), but it wasn't dry or sarcastic enough for me. The main character is supposed to have a knack for the witty, biting put-down but I think I could do it better.

If you want to lose a few hours in an easy reading, cheap-on-the-Kindle story, go for it. If you want clever storytelling in the vein of Hiaasen, don't bother, you'll end up disappointed.

Read another 2 Gordon Ferris novels.

The Hanging Shed - I didn't realise Bitter Water was the follow-up to this so I've read them in the wrong order which spoiled it slightly but still a great read with the author's description of post war Glasgow again being the high point. (7.5)

Truth Dare Kill - Set in London this time which was a bit of a let down. Not quite as good as the previous 2 I've read but still worth a read. (6.5)

Also read Chamber Music by Tom Benn, set in gangland Manchester, ok in bits but overall not for me. (3)

Supergods by Grant Morrison, which is a lot more fun than The Art Of War and Mysteries.

Morrison mixes his memoirs of writing comics with the history of the field, in a manner that would be reminiscent of Stephen King's Danse Macabre and On Writing if Morrison was a whining little tosspot with nothing of interest to say about either. He's not, though, so it's proving a fun read, even if he is being far too polite about Alan Moore and his work given some of the crap Moore's been spouting about him lately.