Last Book You Read....

H_B

I've just finished reading the autobiography of the Monty Python member Graham Chapman. It's a really funny account of his life despite the fact that at least 20% of it was just made up for a laugh. Despite the fact there's surprisingly little focus on the Flying Circus and the Monty Python films, it's definitely something Python and comedy fans as a whole should check out as the humour is very irreverant and Chapman often ends up arguing with himself and his co-authors (there's three of them). Some of his stories about his drinking days, before he had to give up because alcoholism, are absolutely brilliant.

Yeah he shat out going for his real name. :lol: It's a family name I think. :wacko:

Hope those that have bought it, do enjoy it and please leave open feedback. He wants as much developmental feedback on it as he can and not just all "It's fucking great, buy it"

duno much about developmental feedback but it's a 3.5 out of 5 book. Quite epic with the continual revelations even if you can see some of them coming. I liked the gangsta element being included and the factual landscaping but got a bit annoyed with the james bond quipping in the face of extreme horror. It ticked enough of my boxes to make it a thoroughly exciting read but it wasn't "can't put down" enough to make it a 4 but the characters were real, the plot was good and the murders horrific. Chuck in the twists, excitement and you've got me recommending it to my mates.

Anybody read the 'Odd Thomas' books by Dean Koontz?

Picked up the 1st one in the library the other day. Halfway through and pretty much enjoying it but wondering if he can keep up the standard with the rest of the series.

I picked the third one (brother Thomas) up not realising it was a series. Bit difficult to read at times due to the narrative style and gotta say, I struggled at times to imagine what was going on but enjoyed it anyway

Got the first 2 but haven't got round to them yet

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Julie Myerson: Then

then-LST085133.jpg

Then is set in an apocalyptic London in the aftermath of a climatic change which has the city turned in to a freezing wasteland. The story revolves around an amnesiac woman who is living in an office block with a group of peope who she barely remembers from one second to the next. Told from her point of view, the tale is difficult to fathom, and certainly in the first half of the book infuriatingly so. Rambling and disjointed, it's like spending time listening to the outpourings of a drunk, and on more than one occasion I was ready to throw in the towel. If is the authors intention to have you as confused as the protagonist then she succeeds easily. In fact she was too successful as by the end of the book I was still unsure what was true and what had been the product of her imagination. Best keep a few paracetamol handy, as this will give you a headache trying to figure it out.

Finally got round to the last in the ASOIAF books. i know a lot of fans find the latest few books slow but i loved them and now join the ranks of people eagerly awaiting the next one.

Eh?

Right, a challenge for the P&B literati.

I'm off to Spain for a week of lounging by the pool and generally doing f**k all before parenthood destroys changes my life forever.

I'm looking for suggestions to put on my kindle for the week.

I'll download the first 4 or 5 suggestions and take them with me. (Assuming I get any)

Over to you.

what happened with this?

i've been rereading recently. blasted through the great gatsby and on the road last week sitting in the sun. i first read them both when i was 18 and it's definitely a different experience reading them with a more mature outlook on life.

i'm going to continue my austerity drive by reading the books on my shelves which i have never got round to reading. jazz by toni morrison next then alias grace by margaret attwood.

Anybody read the 'Odd Thomas' books by Dean Koontz?

Picked up the 1st one in the library the other day. Halfway through and pretty much enjoying it but wondering if he can keep up the standard with the rest of the series.

The first one is excellent, the second almost as good, and then there's an alarming slide in quality after that.

Where The Bodies Are Buried - Chris Brookmyre.

Gave up on this about quarter of the way through, disappointing after the write up he gets on here. Shame on you P and B.

Reading Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail, which I think in any other hands would be desperately dull, but it's just the right mix of political machinations and insanity.

• 2 weeks later...

Last and First Men by Stapledon. His foresight is astonishing. i was already aware of his imagination from Star Maker.

Also chipping away at a collection of Dorothy Parker's work following on from a R4 quiz i heard last week.

I love her short stories, no drama, just people who are bored in their marriages and loneliness. No explosions basically.

Finished Doughnut by Tom Holt. First book I've read by him, and it was okay but I don't think I'll read any more. I quite like a bit of surreal humour, but this went to a point where it just seemed daft rather than funny.

Also Ourika by Claire de Duras. Got to read it for uni next year, so thought I'd get ahead on it. It's a story about a female African being brought to France in the late eighteenth-century, saved from slavery and brought up by nobility. It spans across the Revolution etc, but it's really more about how she's never really 'accepted' into society. Pretty interesting.

Now reading Divorcing Jack by Colin Bateman, which is the first in a series and showed up on my Amazon recommendations. I'm about a chapter in; it's okay so far. Also about to start Bug Jargal by Victor Hugo, which is another one I have to read for uni next semester.

#books

Edited by Mak

craig-bellamy-autobiography-4042116.jpg

Not read this, nor inclined to. But fucking LOL at the cover!

:lol:

Should be called Tosser. I have no doubts it's cliche-ridden, banal shite.

Just started John Le Carre's A Delicate Truth on audiobook. Only an hour in, but it's beautifully written. Big fan of his books.