Last Book You Read....

H_B

The same thing happened to Dan Brown when he became too much of a success story. It suddenly became perceived wisdom to be dismissive of his books, which are actually quite good.

"The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo"

This was ridiculously good. Definitely in the top 5 books I have ever read. It really is most inconvenient he died.

That's a bold statement, but then again what other books would your top five comprise of?

That's a bold statement, but then again what other books would your top five comprise of?

Don't know actually. I must have read a few thousand books over the years, and my top 5 would have changed a lot over the years.

Five others that come to mind would be :-

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

Lord of the Rings

Watership Down

The Kite Runner

Atonement

Don't know actually. I must have read a few thousand books over the years, and my top 5 would have changed a lot over the years.

Lord of the Rings

Watership Down

The Kite Runner

Atonement

I was just checking the novelisation of “Weekend at Bernie’s II” wasn’t also in contention. I own “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” but I never read it in full, so I’ll probably go back to it one day. From what I read the prose seemed rather dreary, perhaps because I was re-reading “A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man” at the time as well and perhaps I should go back to it without prejudice.

Black Swan Green by David Mitchell

A year in the life of a 12 (turning 13) year old named Jason Taylor in a small village in rural England, set against a backdrop of his parents divorce, local bullies, The Falklands and a growing interest in girls and poetry.

It's a very well written novel, with plenty of recognisable phrases, language, games and unwritten school rules for anyone my age to reminisce about.

It's easy to read, flows well and the main charactr's development is well thought out and interesting.

The same thing happened to Dan Brown when he became too much of a success story. It suddenly became perceived wisdom to be dismissive of his books, which are actually quite good.

I'd never even heard of Steig Larsson before I read TGWTDT, so there goes your "dissing it 'cos it's popular" argument. I just think it was a terrible read, and to my memory it's the first book that I've ever refused to finish

Very petty of you, HB, to dismiss Slaughterhouse 5 just because you're raging that TGWTBT is rank :(

I'd never even heard of Steig Larsson before I read TGWTDT, so there goes your "dissing it 'cos it's popular" argument. I just think it was a terrible read, and to my memory it's the first book that I've ever refused to finish

Then you have no taste. Seriously.

very petty of you, HB, to dismiss Slaughterhouse 5 just because you're raging that TGWTBT is rank sad.gif

I read Slaughterhouse 5 when I was at High School. I thought then it was absolutely dreadful . I may re-read it to see if my tastes have developed since then.

And why would I be in any way bothered about your opinions on a book?

You are entitled to them, in the same way someone is entitled to think Jack Ross is a better full back than Dani Alves.

Edited by H_B

Then you have no taste. Seriously.

Maybe I don't. Before November last year I'd hardly picked up a book in years before I resolved to start reading again, so I'm not really familiar with the names of any author. As well as the Girl With Thew Dragon Tattoo, since then I've read 'Shogun' and 'King Rat' by Clavell, 'The Road' by McCarthy, Master and Commander by O'Brien, The Rum Diary, and Fear and Loathing by Hunter S Thompson and Slaughterhouse 5 by Vonnegut. I enjoyed some more than others and each had their own merits apart from The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, which I just couldn't get into at all

You are entitled to them, in the same way someone is entitled to think Jack Ross is a better full back than Dani Alves.

Not only is he a better full back than Alves, he's also a better midfielder than Kaka

Lord of the Rings

Watership Down

The Kite Runner

Atonement

You must have read "a few thousand" awful books if they are anywhere near your top five.

Brown is a great story teller - he plots well, he researches well. He is, however, an extremely average writer.

It's the classic "lots of effort and little talent will take you further than lots of talent and little effort".

Quite enjoyed the Da Vinci Code, less so his other books.

You must have read "a few thousand" awful books if they are anywhere near your top five.

Well, to be fair, they were arbitrary choices in more than one sense although I do understand your meaning. Comparing "The Kite Runner" or "Atonement" to "Anna Karenina" or "Rabbit, Run" does seem a bit like choosing to watch "Weekend at Bernie's II" when you can explore dozens of cultures, an entire world of films at your command; or indeed you could just watch the vastly superior "Weekend at Bernie's" for around the same price.

Brown is a great story teller - he plots well, he researches well. He is, however, an extremely average writer.

It's the classic "lots of effort and little talent will take you further than lots of talent and little effort".

Quite enjoyed the Da Vinci Code, less so his other books.

Yeah, I read TDVC before it became huge and I quite enjoyed it. I can see why it became so popular. It wasn't fantastic, but it was very readable.

I just think, like the Music police, it becomes fashionable to slate people who become worldwide phenomena. Book recommending seems to become a hunt to find the most obscure author you can put up as a gem only you and 10 other people have discovered.

That said, to contradict myself, James Patterson is a dreadful author and sells millions, so it isn't always true that popularity equals quality.

Well, to be fair, they were arbitrary choices in more than one sense

Correct - I read a lot of the same type of book and I value things in books others may not.

Sometimes people are just plain wrong though. If you don't think "The Kite Runner" is an incredible book, I pity you.