The LOLverpool Thread

http://www.guardian. ...rridge-tom-ince

Ince and Sturridge on the hit list apparently. Sturridge is interesting one, would keep Suarez central but doesn't Sturridge want to play through the middle as well?

The Sturridge rumour has been floating about a while and I believe they did indeed try and sign him, albeit on a loan basis, in the summer, so that probably has legs. The papers have been reporting that he is unhappy at Chelsea because he's become a bit part player and plays wide right of the front three when he is used, but I highly doubt concern over whether he'd be used centrally or as a wide striker would negate a transfer should Liverpool make an offer.

The Ince signing would be absurd, though not in the way that he'd be a poor signing. Consider this, Tom Ince was just starting to make the breakthrough to Liverpool's first team (he was ahead of Raheem Sterling (who was only 15 at that point right enough) in the pecking order and looked likely to become a regular first team player over the next season or so) when he was transferred to Blackpool on a free transfer along with Gerardo Bruna on a free transfer plus Jonjo Shelvey on loan and Danny Wilson on loan as part compensation for Charlie Adam on top of the rumoured £8m that they paid (though I suspect that this was a structured deal). To then sign Ince back again 2 seasons later would be crazy. One paper was throwing a figure of £6m around last week for Ince to Liverpool. Bonkers. A good player, but if it proved true it would surely be the clearest indictment thus far of the poor business conducted by the previous 2 Anfield regimes.

When you consider some of the signings who've pitched up at Liverpool since the Hodgson era and through Dalglish / Comolli's time, it's frightening the money lost. Off the top of my head Joe Cole, Milan Jovanovic (signing may have been instigated by Benitez), Christian Poulsen, Danny Wilson (not a bad player, but will never be a Liverpool regular), Paul Konchesky (I still cannot fathom how Paul Konchesky ever played for Liverpool, also as well as the cash that Liverpool paid for PK, they also gave Fulham a striker, Lauri Dalla Valle, and a winger, Alex Kacaniclic, who has been earning good reviews since breaking into the Fulham team, meanwhile PK is in the Championship now), Brad Jones (a mediocre 'keeper and only signed because he qualified as "home grown" despite there being 4 'keepers at the club at that time and the outfield needing players in various positions and money at that time being scarce), Stewart Downing (has achieved mind-blowing transfer fees in his career and still only 28!), Andy Carroll (£35m?!), Charlie Adam (decent player, but was clearly overachieving as the fulcrum of a workmanlike Blackpool team), Jordan Henderson (again, not necessarily a bad player, just not a £20m player or a necessity in his position at that time or for that price) have all been signed for big fees / wages and have not made a positive impact upon the quality of the team. Meanwhile, also over that period, players such as Dirk Kuyt, Maxi Rodriguez, Fernando Torres, Javier Mascherano and Alberto Aqualani have all left for various reasons. Now, it could quite easily be argued that those players all left for valid reasons and that not all of them have gone onto bigger and better things (Mascherano arguably has, although he had to become a centre half to be accomodated in the Barca team, but Rodriguez and Kuyt's times were up, Aqualani went back to his comfort zone and Torres has flopped at Chelsea), but it's still a lot of quality to try and replace and they quite simply have not managed to and the blame for that must lie with whomsoever conducted those transfers in and out.

I've never rated Sturridge as that good a player

He looked OK when he first broke into the team at Chelsea and was part of that front 3 of (l;r) Kolou, Torres / Drogba, Sturridge, but I wouldn't say he's anything special based on the times I've seen him.

A good player, but if it proved true it would surely be the clearest indictment thus far of the poor business conducted by the previous 2 Anfield regimes.

That's football though. Why should you not sign a player because of previous stupdity by regimes and people nothing at all to do with you or the current custodians?

It would be like taking over a business where the last manager sacked someone very qualified for the role because they didn't like them. Would you say "Sorry mate, I'd like to hire you, but it would look a bit daft as the last boss got rid of you, so we'll get someone else?"

That's football though. Why should you not sign a player because of previous stupdity by regimes and people nothing at all to do with you or the current custodians?

It would be like taking over a business where the last manager sacked someone very qualified for the role because they didn't like them. Would you say "Sorry mate, I'd like to hire you, but it would look a bit daft as the last boss got rid of you, so we'll get someone else?"

I'm not trying to convey that I would be against the signing, though in re-reading it does, perhaps, come across that way. I was more noting that a decent manager would have done a better job of keeping the young talent at the club, maybe sending them out on loan (again) to develop, rather than using them as makeweights in a transfer for a more senior player who was a risky proposition. The evidence is there for all to see where Ince is concerned, and he was performing well in his loans away from Liverpool also prior to being packed off to Blackpool. I'm simply using the situation as an illustrative example of the wasteful past excesses.

There's a point, the question's probably been asked before but I missed it; why do so many Falkirk fans on here support Liverpool?

Fair point actually, can't answer it myself though. I know Gaz FFC and keithgy are Liverpool fans also. I've been looking out for their results and watching their games on TV for as long as I can remember, and will continue to do so. As I've said, many people are supporters of teams up here, but also have an English team. It's when people claim to 'support' English teams that it becomes wrong though, unless they actually do support them and go to games (I don't).

I note the grief merchant apologists are awffy quiet this afternoon.

Being horsed by the worst Villa team in 20 years, ouch. :lol:

Edited by drs

Top two, ROFL. There not even the top team in Liverpool, not by a decent distance.

3-0 so far. Never mind, Stewart 'Messi Conway' Downing is bound to be about to rip a defence to shreds by now. Or put in a cross. Something, anything.

Edited by banana