Changing your football team?

But surely there's circumstances which might arise leading you to question whether you should continue supporting the club?  

For example, no reasonable person could continue to support the Old Firm once they learned about the true nature of the clubs. Equally a young Livingston supporter might consider switching allegiance upon learning that they are attached to perennial debt cheats.

You underestimate the civic pride Livingstonians have in their noble and ancient home town, The jewel of the vale of Almond, the Milton Keynes of the North

Oh hang on

On second thoughts you may have a point

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

I don't see anything wrong with loving your team if that tickles your trumpet and there is nothing wrong with having a soft spot for another team and I would bet there are a fair few who attend Juniors and Highland League games that will prove that. I lived in Banff for a part of my childhood and consider Deveronvale as such.

When I lived in Plymouth I used to watch Argyle quite a lot during the seasons when they were going up towards the Championship. A lot fo the lads there had 'big' teams and many of which supported Leeds. It was kinda strange for them to see Argyle get promoted tot he Championship as Leeds were playing in League 1. it was very noticable during half time scores when one section would cheer liverpool results and the other Man Utd.huh.gif

Your right, I went to Rangers games when I was young with my dad and brother but as I got older around 15 I started watching my local junior side Kirkintilloch Rob Roy and I prefer it.

Don't get me wrong I do still support Rangers but I can't be bothered with everything that goes with supporting the old firm. I do have friends on both sides who can be quite bigoted and I just don't like it.

With KRR I can watch football without being interrogated on what my political or religious views are

Oh and when I was about 10 my dad was considering getting a Clyde season ticket for me and my brother as he had be on fed up with the bigoted carry on and my mum also didn't want us brought up with bigoted views

When I was younger I used to play a lot of rap music, in particular the artist Tupac Shakur.

I soon realised that when I became an adult I really didn't want to be disrespectful to women, or sexiest in any way. So I switched to classical.

Seriously, if you're that easily influenced by randoms at a football game, perhaps take up a new sport.

I don't see how any serious football fan could change their club to be honest. In most cases your affinity with the club you support started when you were a young kid and it just stays with you.

For me, if Motherwell weren't around anymore I would be finished with football. I have absolutely zero interest in the national team and I wouldn't be able to muster up any desire to follow any other club side.

^ ^ ^

Superb denial!

If Motherwell ceased to exist I think I would need to go to games just to get my football supporter fix.  I just couldn't conceive not going to a game on Saturdays.

Would probably just go to random games here, there and everywhere and I certainly wouldn't be picking up any Rangers, Celtic, Accies or Airdrie batons but.....I just need my games and everything it entails - the pies, the programmes, the dire fair on the pitch, the booing, the shouting, the shitty weather, everything, you just can't beat it.

As a middle aged man football is one of the few remaining things that actually makes me feel a little bit excited.  I couldn't just stop. 

Well I have two brothers. We all grew up in the East End of Glasgow with us all supporting Celtic. My father was a Rangers fan, my mother a Celtic fan. Neither bothered with football really but in their younger days they used to go to games. My father has been involved with his local jr side and bothers more with that. So myself and my brothers weren't influenced into supporting any club.

Myself and my brothers all grew up supporting Celtic. I'm the oldest. My middle brother then changed to support Aberdeen during their fairly successful days with Theo Snelders & Hans Guillouse (sp?) etc playing for them which co-incited with the start of Celtic's poor spell of 5 years without a trophy. He was about 10yrs old when he switched. He still supports Aberdeen to this day but as I've pointed out he's a glory hunter. Prob only been to about 3 Aberdeen games in the past 7-10 years and they were semi-finals & final. He continues to buy the shirts every year and acts like a fan who goes on a regular basis.

My youngest brother supported Celtic, then switched to Rangers & he too was maybe about 8-9yrs old. I think he was closest to our dad and it was more to do with being the favourite :lol:

However when he was about 12 he switched back to Celtic & continues to support Celtic. He is a bit of a glory hunter too...usually turning up at the bigger games. Although in his defence he plays football at the weekends and gives that priority. Still doesn't go a lot though when he's not playing. Even if I've offered him my ST if I've got to work.

I was a Celtic "fan" until I was about 10 or 11, and then I started going down to Montrose games and just found it to be a much more enjoyable experience.

Can't ever imagining changing team. Made far too much of an emotional investment in the Dee over the years. No other team would ever mean as much to me.

My cousin was a Motherwell fan until only a few years ago, virtue of his Dad supporting them. He'd lived in Dundee all his days though and eventually chose to support United when they were doing well (no pun intended). I was actually quite glad because the majority of my close mates don't like football, now I could actually have an individual to direct my abuse at. 

I say I could never change team, but I guess it's dependent on circumstances. He wanted a local team he had a proper affiliation with, plus his Dad was a cock.

Archived