The P & B Beer, Lager, Ale, Stout and Cider Guide

Zizou-5

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Half Moon Bay Brewing Co. - Calf-Eine (6.3%)

Massive coffee and treacle aromas. Taste is like a very good liqueur coffee with some dark chocolate and a faint smokiness in the background. Not a session beer due to the sheer gravity of it but lovely to accompany a dessert or some mature cheddar.

Returned to a more masculine form of glassware especially for Moz.

post-22047-0-52762100-1445203158_thumb.j

Was up in Rothes yesterday, and the pub we were in was selling bottles from a local one-man nanobrewery in the village - from what I gathered, a hobbyist who's just recently went professional. Got two varieties: Dounie Ale and Conrock Pale. Haven't had a chance to try them yet, but it's great that things like this seem to be popping up all over the place.

0ad9719cf6fdabe0933aec4c7bc825ac_320x320

Guest bernardblack

Have any of the ale drinkers on here turned into beer snobs?? Anytime I'm at my local and i see someone drinking Budweiser or Stella I turn my nose up at them.

100% Was round at a mates house for the football last week and was offered a can of Budweiser. I immediately scoffed and opened a Perfecr Storm.

Williams Bros - Pavlov's Dog (4.3%)

This appeared in Aldi the other week so guessing it's a relatively recent addition to the Williams Bros squad.

Mild toffee & treacle aromas. Lovely toffee malt body but with just a faint fruity hop kick to it. Lovely stuff.

post-22047-0-08962200-1445549636_thumb.j

It's been a beer filled week for me.

A pub crawl around Manchester pre and post City's Champions League match with Sevilla, then a night in a Greene King pub last night with the wife's workmates.

Had a decent intake of Quality ales,

Moorhouses White Witch

Adnams Best Bitter

DB's Devil's Backbone

Robinson's Dizzy Blonde

Sharps Doombar

Old Speckled Hen

Abbot Ale

Greene King IPA

Shindigger IPA

Paying for it now though.

Williams Bros - Stravaigin (6.4%)

Big, sweet herbal aromas. Almost a marmalade smell too.

Quite tart (from the gooseberries I assume). Feint biscuitty malt backbone. Tastes lighter and more easily drinkable than the abv would suggest. Though it's not technically a sour beer it has a similar vibe. An enjoyable curiosity.

post-22047-0-08934700-1446064646_thumb.j

I found myself, not through choice, in a TGI Friday's last night and the choice of drinks ranged from lager to lager.

Chose this Negra Modelo as it claimed to be a dark beer, it's half right, it was dark, but it was lager.

post-17749-0-86317800-1446327427_thumb.j

Ayr Brewing Company - Tamfest Brew (4.2%)

Smells very much like a traditional Scottish heavy (reminiscent of McEwan's 80/-). Dark and nutty but also with a slight spice.

Very sweet and malty. The pumpkin and spice is quite mild but adds a nice bit of character. Again reminds me of 80/-. A bit more of a traditional vibe than the other pumpkin beers I've had lately.

post-22047-0-59732700-1446328938_thumb.j

Beavertown - Stingy Jack (7.2%)

Big sweet, spicy aromas. Of all things, it smells like parsnips with a spicy maple syrup glaze.

Flavours of demerara sugar with the pumpkin a wee bit more prominent than the other ones I've had recently. Nice hint of nutmeg and some ginger coming through as the chill goes away.

post-22047-0-80899400-1446507867_thumb.j

Archived