Red Dwarf X

~~~

The last couple were pretty good but the last one was mildly irritating in that it seemed to erase history. It's a bit patronising to have a good section of the programme given up to Kryten explaining the concept of alternative realities when we've already seen this loads of times.

And the crew were acting as if they'd never heard of Ace Rimmer. Has there been some sort of time reset/reboot that explains why this doesn't get mentioned or is it just lazy writing?

I was fully expecting Ace Rimmer to show up but guessing they didn't as they brought back Holly and Captain Hollister. Holly was decent and would be happy to see him back permanently if they make more. The Captain Hollister seen was pointless though.

I was a bit disappointed with Skipper as it had been bigged up as a great episode and I don't think it is. Lister getting the Cat to do things for him was a laugh. The different realities weren't all that great but I did like the one with the rat. It was plain silly but that has been a feature of Red Dwarf at times.

M Corp was better, I thought, was a new idea and was fairly clever in places with the invisible objects.

Rimmer recreating the first scene where Lister comes out of Statis was very good and nostaligic.   Holly: Everyone is alive Arnold, Rimmer:  What even Petersen?

Was waiting for Ace Rimmer and Clare Grogan.  Would have been amazing to have given Mark Williams and Paul Bradley have walk on cameos as  Petersen and Chen.  I suppose there is still time.

• 2 years later...

I loved the early Red Dwarf but kind of gave up on it after season 7 - which I absolutely hated.

I've watched 8, although I dont really remember it, so I was going to go back and watch it with the intention of watching the new series (I also watched the one off specials which were a bit meh)

Am I wasting my time? Am I going to hate the new series?

Series 7 is mostly shit. Series 8 was such shit I stopped watching and have never bothered with since. Series 9 ("Back To Earth") was astoundingly shit.

Series 10, 11 and 12 are mostly okay. Not anywhere near the golden age, but certainly watchable. I will watch 13.

32 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Series 7 is mostly shit. Series 8 was such shit I stopped watching and have never bothered with since. Series 9 ("Back To Earth") was astoundingly shit.

Series 10, 11 and 12 are mostly okay. Not anywhere near the golden age, but certainly watchable. I will watch 13.

I might just skip 8 and try the new ones then

Cheers :) 

Yeah agree with this. I'm a massive fan of the earlier stuff but the new ones aren't as good. They all largely despised each other or got on each others nerve in the early seasons while now they are best mates and it doesn't work as well. A lot of the new episodes are either poor or meh with only a few coming close to series 1 to 6.

Series 7 does actually have one of my favourite episodes where they go back in time so that Lister can order a curry and end up finding who was the gun man on the grassy knoll when JFK was killed.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought that was okay. There were some missteps, like the interminable "sex change" skit that bore no relevance to the plot and was never mentioned again, and not all the jokes worked. There was also plenty we've seen before.

But I never got bored, I enjoyed seeing where it was going and Norman Lovett's performance once we got "our" Holly back was excellent, with a couple of lines matching anything you'd find in the "classic" era.

Overall, C+. Certainly a lot better than the previous time they attempted to go feature length. I wouldn't mind if we got an episode like this every two or three years rather than another series of six half-hours. It would give time to allow to go slightly higher concept like they did in the books.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

5 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I thought that was okay. There were some missteps, like the interminable "sex change" skit that bore no relevance to the plot and was never mentioned again, and not all the jokes worked. There was also plenty we've seen before.

But I never got bored, I enjoyed seeing where it was going and Norman Lovett's performance once we got "our" Holly back was excellent, with a couple of lines matching anything you'd find in the "classic" era.

Overall, C+. Certainly a lot better than the previous time they attempted to go feature length. I wouldn't mind if we got an episode like this every two or three years rather than another series of six half-hours. It would give time to allow to go slightly higher concept like they did in the books.

Watching them film the "sex change" bit and the fact it took about 6 attempts to film due to at least one the 3 struggling to deliver their lines due to laughter.