MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

6 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I know Tony Ferguson's been shite for ages, but somebody please confirm that he's going to end the Scouse walloper?

Am I the only person that finds Tony even more cringe than Pimblett? The guy has been stinking out UFC press conferences with his absolutely honkin’ patter for years. I hope Paddy beats him and he chucks it, for the sake of his own brain.

As for Colby, he’s an absolute w****r. He’s trying way too hard these days.

1 minute ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Am I the only person that finds Tony even more cringe than Pimblett? The guy has been stinking out UFC press conferences with his absolutely honkin’ patter for years. I hope Paddy beats him and he chucks it, for the sake of his own brain.

As for Colby, he’s an absolute w****r. He’s trying way too hard these days.

I'd settle for a double knockout, but I dislike Ferguson marginally less.

Maybe Edwards could knock out all 3?

15 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I know Tony Ferguson's been shite for ages, but somebody please confirm that he's going to end the Scouse walloper?

If Paddy doesn't get found out here he'll definitely get found out whoever he fights next. Ferguson acting as a gate keeper to the top guys basically. And it will be a KO when it comes, unless he's sorted out where he carries his chin.

25 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

If Paddy doesn't get found out here he'll definitely get found out whoever he fights next. Ferguson acting as a gate keeper to the top guys basically. And it will be a KO when it comes, unless he's sorted out where he carries his chin.

If he starts utilising his strength, which is on the ground, instead of trying to box with folk he could have a decent enough career IMO. Nowhere near elite level but I do think people exaggerate how shite he is purely because they find him to be a pain in the arse and a bit of a mouthpiece.

No doubt his chin is a major issue and anyone good will exploit that but I do think a good coach could sort that. 

48 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

If he starts utilising his strength, which is on the ground, instead of trying to box with folk he could have a decent enough career IMO. Nowhere near elite level but I do think people exaggerate how shite he is purely because they find him to be a pain in the arse and a bit of a mouthpiece.

No doubt his chin is a major issue and anyone good will exploit that but I do think a good coach could sort that. 

Just don't even think his ground game is good enough to get him into the top 10. Dan Hooker is 10th in the rankings and I doubt many books are open with Paddy as favourite in that one. 

Glad to see Edwards dealing with Covington. The WWE shtick is making UFC a grim watch these days. Another arsehole, Sean Strickland fighting with DDP in the crowd after calling him a f****t and telling him to "go f**k your coach" at an official presser. Covington should be finished at title level. But no doubt hel talk his way into another one, which hel lose. 

Seems obvious that Dana White is encouraging this race to the bottom these days as far as the media side goes. A real shame for a sport that had to grapple for years with the idea that it was just for savages and should be banned. 

On 17/12/2023 at 11:27, Bairnardo said:

Glad to see Edwards dealing with Covington. The WWE shtick is making UFC a grim watch these days. Another arsehole, Sean Strickland fighting with DDP in the crowd after calling him a f****t and telling him to "go f**k your coach" at an official presser. Covington should be finished at title level. But no doubt hel talk his way into another one, which hel lose. 

Seems obvious that Dana White is encouraging this race to the bottom these days as far as the media side goes. A real shame for a sport that had to grapple for years with the idea that it was just for savages and should be banned. 

I hadn't seen the presser with Strickland until yesterday, O'Malley poking fun at Stricklands abusive childhood seems to complete a full circle of scumbags all having a go at each other. Dana says he doesn't like this stuff and niether do the commission but he'll do f**k all to stop it. 

Colby should be dropped for his performance last week. Sits himself out for 2 years to ensure he gets a title shot, talks all that shit last week then turns up and absolutely shites his pants when it matters. I really wish Edwards had locked in one of his submissions and sent him to sleep, that would've been more embarrassing than a KO. Thankfully it means he'll be nowhere near a title shot again. 

• 5 weeks later...

Sadly it’s very, very unlikely that there’ll be a double ko in the main event on Saturday, so I’m hoping Du Plessis beats the living shit out of that bigoted moron Strickland and then gets knocked the f**k out in his next fight.

1 hour ago, J_Stewart said:

Sadly it’s very, very unlikely that there’ll be a double ko in the main event on Saturday, so I’m hoping Du Plessis beats the living shit out of that bigoted moron Strickland and then gets knocked the f**k out in his next fight.

Strickland by far the worse of the 2 for me. Having seen that other complete Tool Colby lose what should be his last tilt at a belt, it would very good to see this clown wiped from the picture aswell.

As an aside, UFCs borderline WWE shtick is getting really fucking boring, really quickly. I don't think there's ever been a better time for them to build towards crossover appeal, and they are making a rip roaring c**t of themselves instead. 

Why bother with mainstream when you can instead appeal to people the sort of people who think Elon Musk isn't a c**t

Thought last nights ME was pretty poor fair IMO. A close fight that was pretty much decided by amount of take downs. That Strickland was able to get out of them, on a regular basis. made it closer.

• 4 weeks later...

I'll never forgive Dana White for letting Cejudo come out of retirement. I hate him. His latest cringefest is him sacking his coach on video, waiting a day or two then doing a "gotcha!". Hopefully he loses this fight and retires for good again.

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Ilia Topuria can f**k off with his McGregor-lite act as well btw. Hoping for a quick Volk smash. 

I don't know how convinced I am that the Makhachev fight hasn't damaged Volk. He's a fair age for his weight class and there are some telling stats about re the younger guy winning in title fights at Feather. 

I don't even blame McGregor anymore, arsehole though he is. Dana White is 100% responsible for the utter binfire UFC is becoming. 

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

I don't know how convinced I am that the Makhachev fight hasn't damaged Volk. He's a fair age for his weight class and there are some telling stats about re the younger guy winning in title fights at Feather. 

I don't even blame McGregor anymore, arsehole though he is. Dana White is 100% responsible for the utter binfire UFC is becoming. 

Topuria absolutely has a chance but lets not pretend Volk is all of sudden over the hill. If Volk had won the decision against Islam in the first fight people talk about him as the greatest ever. If he's prepared correctly I expect him to finish Topuria or at worst win on points. 

Cejudo is done at the top level, and fear that Volk may now be as well. The time in “retirement” for Cejudo has definitely seen mma pass him by, he obviously doesn’t have the same engine anymore, and the guys he’s fighting are younger, stronger, more skilled and better conditioned.

Volk also didn’t look as evasive as in days gone by, even before the knockout. Between his age and the damage he took against Islam, fear Father Time may have caught up, which is a shame as he’s been an absolutely elite fighter, but it comes to us all.

2 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

Cejudo is done at the top level, and fear that Volk may now be as well. The time in “retirement” for Cejudo has definitely seen mma pass him by, he obviously doesn’t have the same engine anymore, and the guys he’s fighting are younger, stronger, more skilled and better conditioned.

Volk also didn’t look as evasive as in days gone by, even before the knockout. Between his age and the damage he took against Islam, fear Father Time may have caught up, which is a shame as he’s been an absolutely elite fighter, but it comes to us all.

Volk finished for me. At his age in the lower weights the cliff edge comes fast. Add to that weight jumping and damage taken. He needs to leave the sport now. I don't usually jump in and say that, but after the last 2, all that waits for him is a Succession of damaging KOs now. That's MMA unfortunately. These guys are all so athletically good that you only have to be a few % better to look unbeatable, but you also only need to be a few % off it to end up on one highlight reel after another. 

• 1 month later...

Builld up to UFC 300 going well. Technically hasn't been taken into custody as the summon doubles as his arrest.

Drug Free Sport also tried to convince the drug tester in question not to press charges:

image.thumb.png.1706a9d41302245d78ab64cec9b10f31.png

Edited by GNU_Linux

Caught some of UFC 300. Olivera’s fight with Tsarukyan was tremendous, Gaethje/Max a bit of a snooze; but watch the fight till the end & I don’t know what Herb Dean was doing, in intervening following a body kick. As the distraction had a major impact on the main fight outcome.

Edited by kiddy