Belfast Council remove Union Flag

~~~

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We should send our Lord Lyon over undercover, get both flags banned, and replace them with something like this:

800px-United_northern_ireland_flag.svg.png

As I have put across on various threads, why do you think the Red Hand is a big deal? It is used by both sides to suit agendas and is a clan symbol in Scotland.

Some building they do fly both.

I don't believe they will have a united Ireland, not for a very long time (if ever) and if it did, we'll just be in a reversed positon.

It is a matter of time Enrico. The list for housing association property, schools and so on is rising. Northern Ireland will eventually vote to Unite and then

the Loyalists will need to flee to England where they can march about and wind up the English!! They will be Loyal to the English Queen and not know where

to go :D

Of course it would still be our problem

In what sense?

We wouldn't be financially subsidising the bigot state any more. It would be Irish soverign territory. And yes, I'm sure there would be consequences for the Irish government and the Irish people. Much as there have been for Britain and British citizens over the past 50 years and more.

As I have put across on various threads, why do you think the Red Hand is a big deal? It is used by both sides to suit agendas and is a clan symbol in Scotland.

I like that. Not sure the Loyalists would like a St Patricks flag and green background, good idea though. Actually do the Loaylists realise they are fighting to keep a

flag with 3 Catholic Saints on it?!:D

It is a matter of time Enrico. The list for housing association property, schools and so on is rising. Northern Ireland will eventually vote to Unite and then

the Loyalists will need to flee to England where they can march about and wind up the English!! They will be Loyal to the English Queen and not know where

to go :D

ROI is a bit of a mess right now. I wouldnt be surprised if Catholics within NI voted to stay in the union if it for the benefit of them. Being catholic doesn't mean you are a nationalist

In what sense?

We wouldn't be financially subsidising the bigot state any more. It would be Irish soverign territory. And yes, I'm sure there would be consequences for the Irish government and the Irish people. Much as there have been for Britain and British citizens over the past 50 years and more.

? Consequences? Not that much difference in death toll since 1969 and now compared to the Tan War, and that was only 2 1/2 years long.

Excellent stuff, the red hand it is..

It is believed to originate from a mythical tale wherein two chieftains were racing across a stretch of water in a bid to be the first to reach the land and claim it as his own. Realising his foe would touch the land first, one chieftain cut off his hand and threw it onto the shore, thereby claiming the land before his adversary reached it. The Red Hand is one of the only emblems in Northern Ireland used by both communities in Northern Ireland

http://cain.ulst.ac....s/crosstrad.htm

Now we've sorted that out, any ideas for Syria?

? Consequences? Not that much difference in death toll since 1969 and now compared to the Tan War, and that was only 2 1/2 years long.

Well, the point is that disaffected Unionists may well resort to violence. There is little we would be able or willing to do about that, just as there was little the Irish government and Irish people were willing or able to do about IRA terrorism against the British mainland.

I'd be delighted if NI seceded and joined the Republic. They don't want a bar of it though, for obvious reasons.

ROI is a bit of a mess right now. I wouldnt be surprised if Catholics within NI voted to stay in the union if it for the benefit of them. Being catholic doesn't mean you are a nationalist

Yes true EA, but in NI the Catholic vote and Protestant vote is usually to the expected side. In Scotland we don't have this sectarian voting problem thankfully and in general we are

a United Country together. Would it be possible for NI to be Irish to the Irish and British to the British? Have 2 Council's, 2 mayors and so on? If it kept the peace and the fiscal policy

was possible then it would be great! :D

In what sense?

We couldn't just wash our hands of the place, you'll still have a large % of the population want to remain part of the UK

i'd imagine we would have some sort of reverse good friday agreement. If you are born within NI you are entitled to UK citizenship or if you had been been born before the country was united, same deal you are entitled to UK citizenship

Does the ROI even want NI these days? As i asked before, what does NI bring to a 21st century UK?

Well, the point is that disaffected Unionists may well resort to violence. There is little we would be able or willing to do about that, just as there was little the Irish government and Irish people were willing or able to do about IRA terrorism against the British mainland.

I'd be delighted if NI seceded and joined the Republic. They don't want a bar of it though, for obvious reasons.

Of course they would resort to violence. That isn't in question. Your '50 years' bit is what threw me :)

We couldn't just wash our hands of the place, you'll still have a large % of the population want to remain part of the UK

i'd imagine we would have some sort of reverse good friday agreement. If you are born within NI you are entitled to UK citizenship or if you had been been born before the country was united, same deal you are entitled to UK citizenship

Does the ROI even want NI these days? As i asked before, what does NI bring to a 21st century UK?

Plenty of people still think of Adams et al as traitors, and hell it is only 5 years since Dan Keating died. Most of the Republican sides asked him for 'legitimacy' at one point, and most were disappointed. (he even refused 'state' pensions from both sides).........

Yeah, that's fine. But under EU law, this can happen anyway, both ways. Nothing to stop Nationalists moving to Cork if they want to.

Yeah, that's fine. But under EU law, this can happen anyway, both ways. Nothing to stop Nationalists moving to Cork if they want to.

But we know it isn't as simple as that. If someone isn't happy with the way the country is run, you wouldn't just tell them to leave. Why should they leave home?

It's the same argument for both sides, no matter who is looking after N.Ireland. That's why they need to learn to live together, otherwise nothing will ever change and for the UK, it's just more money being thrown away.

Has the ROI ever said they want a united Ireland? i've got no idea.

But we know it isn't as simple as that. If someone isn't happy with the way the country is run, you wouldn't just tell them to leave. Why should they leave home?

I'm not saying they should. It's you who is suggested the Unionists would want to leave if NI joined ROI. But the Nationalists haven't done that en masse in reverse.

I think previous ROI governments have certainly publicly stated they favour a UI, even if privately everyone knew it was a game of call my bluff.

Archived