Sons' sorrow

Whilst I'm not sure I agree that Mark Brown was entirely at fault for each of the goals you mention I agree Jamie didn't deserve to be dropped. But, I don't think there's much difference in ability between the two and we have much bigger problems than who's between the sticks at the moment.

Yes, we may well indeed have bigger problems elsewhere, but my point is that we looked to have recently improved the goalkeeping situation only to appear to have re-introduced it. And when you are a team which is repeatedly finding itself in 35/65 possession stats then it helps to try and bolt the back door, no ?

Some people really need to get a grip. We are punching well above our weight and have been for some time. Sure the lack of goals needs to be addressed but our displays havnt been nearly so bad as some are making out. In ten or twenty years time fans will look back on these few years in the same way as fans of a certain age look back on the seventies. This is the best team we have had for thirty years and while constructive criticism (emphasis on the constructive) is always worthwhile we should enjoy it while it lasts. Because it won't last forever

If rumours are to be believed our budget is more than adequate to retain our place in this division.

In terms of club size and part-time status we are indeed punching above our weight. In terms of the resources available to Stevie we're sitting roughly where we should be. Continue the way we're going and we wont be for much longer hence the comments.

Lets not forget it was the manager who proclaimed he was aiming higher than just staying in the division. Not that expect him to say otherwise but still, that may have raised expectations a bit.

Yes, we may well indeed have bigger problems elsewhere, but my point is that we looked to have recently improved the goalkeeping situation only to appear to have re-introduced it. And when you are a team which is repeatedly finding itself in 35/65 possession stats then it helps to try and bolt the back door, no ?

We've tried doing that under Murray and under Aitken and still we concede a shitload of goals at this level. It's no surprise that our best season here has come when we attacked teams, they really aren't all that much better than us (outside the top 3) and I feel we concentrate too much on clean sheets, to our detriment.

I do think we need to be realistic. At the start of the season stevie and the board probably said 8th was an achievement, he may well have came out and said he was aiming higher but truthfully 8th was the goal. He's steadied the ship with regards to shipping goals, if we can build on that and score a few more for the remainder of the season and into next season then we have the makings of a very decent squad. We all know strikers are hard to come by especially at this level. We are realistically competing with Alloa for any that are about who wish to go/stay part time and they haven't exactly got a 20 goal a season man

If rumours are to be believed our budget is more than adequate to retain our place in this division.

In terms of club size and part-time status we are indeed punching above our weight. In terms of the resources available to Stevie we're sitting roughly where we should be. Continue the way we're going and we wont be for much longer hence the comments.

Lets not forget it was the manager who proclaimed he was aiming higher than just staying in the division. Not that expect him to say otherwise but still, that may have raised expectations a bit.

Rumours. I would be astonished if our budget was larger than anyones but Alloa's. And it might not be bigger than theirs.

We've tried doing that under Murray and under Aitken and still we concede a shitload of goals at this level. It's no surprise that our best season here has come when we attacked teams, they really aren't all that much better than us (outside the top 3) and I feel we concentrate too much on clean sheets, to our detriment.

Yeah, I'm pretty much in agreement with this.

For me, particularly for a team like us at this level, the best form of defence is attack. No matter how good you are defensively as a unit, all it needs is a momentary lapse in concentration to lose a game. But if you can't score at the other end, then it doesn't really matter how tight or otherwise you are at the back, you won't win many games.

I do think that even with the great goalkeeper debate, we are not too bad defensively. It's our chronic lack of incision and attacking potency at the other end that's of far more concern to me.

Rumours. I would be astonished if our budget was larger than anyones but Alloa's. And it might not be bigger than theirs.

That would back up what I'm saying regarding being roughly where we should be in terms of league position. I can't imagine there is a huge gulf between ourselves and the smaller full-time outfits.

Therefore we aren't really punching above our weight in terms of financial resources. Continue with these inept performances and we'll find ourselves in danger.

I think the concerns people are raising on here are, on the most part, reasonable. You'll always get the odd one calling for the gaffers head but that doesn't represent the majority. In our last 6 league games we've scored a singular goal, direct from a corner. Regardless of budget that simply isn't good enough to retain our Championship status.

That would back up what I'm saying regarding being roughly where we should be in terms of league position. I can't imagine there is a huge gulf between ourselves and the smaller full-time outfits.

Therefore we aren't really punching above our weight in terms of financial resources. Continue with these inept performances and we'll find ourselves in danger.

I think the concerns people are raising on here are, on the most part, reasonable. You'll always get the odd one calling for the gaffers head but that doesn't represent the majority. In our last 6 league games we've scored a singular goal, direct from a corner. Regardless of budget that simply isn't good enough to retain our Championship status.

Obviously our form isn't good enough at the moment but my point is that Dumbarton are unlikely to maintain second tier status for much longer. Financially I would expect that there is a fair gulf between us and the other teams in the Championship. There are three main sources of finance. Firstly prize money. Third place gets twice as much as eighth place and the other full time teams who finished above us all earn more prize money than we do. Secondly sponsorship. Apart from Alloa all the other Championship teams (and some of the League One teams) are 'bigger' than us and have more potential to earn than us. Thirdly crowds. The other clubs have substantially larger crowds than us and with bigger grounds greater potential for earning from the odd game against Rangers, Hibs or whoever. Some clubs will also get financial input from their owners and given our owners' clear aim of making money from the sale of the ground I don't imagine they will be dipping in to their own pockets on a regular basis. So on every count we are behind the likes of Morton, Raith Rovers or Queen of the South and to remain in the Championship for four seasons as a part time team is an achievement in itself. It's the first time it's been done since we moved to four divisions. I hope we we stay up for as long as possible but i accept that eventually we will drop back down and we should make the most of our current achievements.

"He's steadied the ship with regards to shipping goals"

What's your thinking behind this, not a dig.. I am interested, being the 2nd worst in the league for scoring and conceding pretty much keeps us on a par with last season and the goal tally can easily rise towards last season's frightening total.

Edited by albundy

Obviously our form isn't good enough at the moment but my point is that Dumbarton are unlikely to maintain second tier status for much longer. Financially I would expect that there is a fair gulf between us and the other teams in the Championship. There are three main sources of finance. Firstly prize money. Third place gets twice as much as eighth place and the other full time teams who finished above us all earn more prize money than we do. Secondly sponsorship. Apart from Alloa all the other Championship teams (and some of the League One teams) are 'bigger' than us and have more potential to earn than us. Thirdly crowds. The other clubs have substantially larger crowds than us and with bigger grounds greater potential for earning from the odd game against Rangers, Hibs or whoever. Some clubs will also get financial input from their owners and given our owners' clear aim of making money from the sale of the ground I don't imagine they will be dipping in to their own pockets on a regular basis. So on every count we are behind the likes of Morton, Raith Rovers or Queen of the South and to remain in the Championship for four seasons as a part time team is an achievement in itself. It's the first time it's been done since we moved to four divisions. I hope we we stay up for as long as possible but i accept that eventually we will drop back down and we should make the most of our current achievements.

That's fair enough, I mostly agree with that. I still think people are right to criticise though, we shouldn't just accept shite because we're not as well off as the other clubs in the division. Recent performances have merited the criticism which as I said has been in large pretty reasonable minus one or two daft comments.

What's your thinking behind this, not a dig.. I am interested, being the 2nd worst in the league for scoring and conceding pretty much keeps us on a par with last season and the goal tally can easily rise towards last season's frightening total.

As S08 said earlier we have conceded 42 this season compared to 55 at the same stage last season. Yes we have scored less but my point was we have steadied the ship defensively, especially seeing as 12 of those 42 goals have come against Rangers.

That's fair enough, I mostly agree with that. I still think people are right to criticise though, we shouldn't just accept shite because we're not as well off as the other clubs in the division. Recent performances have merited the criticism which as I said has been in large pretty reasonable minus one or two daft comments.

I agree, leave acceptance of shite as the preserve of viewers of the Voice and Britain's Got Talent, etc.,

But if we are to watch horse manure, then where better than a glorified barn off the Renton Road - treble Andrex all round !!

As S08 said earlier we have conceded 42 this season compared to 55 at the same stage last season. Yes we have scored less but my point was we have steadied the ship defensively, especially seeing as 12 of those 42 goals have come against Rangers.

I would have emotively said that our defence is more solid this season, if we concede goals at the current average we will have conceded 63 goals this season (admittedly an improvement on 79) however with hibs, rangers & falkirk still to come we could be on the end of a few hammerings between now and then and still on target to have one of the worst defensive records in the division.

Edited by albundy