Sons' sorrow

No surprise to see Rose Harvie is against the move, although for entirely different reasons than ourselves.  I'll be interested to see what the reaction from the general public is rather than just Sons fans. Good piece from The Reporter again though and gets the message of "being wary" across.

Edited by The Moonster

I had forgotten that, that land was greenbelt. That would explain all the sweeteners Brabco are chucking at the Council then.

^^^^Late to the party

Anyway, anyone in/know anybody in the Community Council? Would be interested to hear how the plans are received at their meeting.

22 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I had forgotten that, that land was greenbelt. That would explain all the sweeteners Brabco are chucking at the Council then.

^^^^Late to the party

Anyway, anyone in/know anybody in the Community Council? Would be interested to hear how the plans are received at their meeting.

I don't know anyone on it but my mum knows Rose Harvie very well through the work they did in trying to save Posties Park from the new school being built there. I'll get in her ear and see what she can find out. We can be sure that Rose will be doing all she can to ensure that Greenbelt space is kept, it runs in the family :).

Invariably green belt considerations can be overcome if the business group has deep enough pockets to afford heavy legal artillery; there is currently a very high profile case under way concerning land use between Dunblane and Bridge of Allan where Judy Murray and a developer are keen to build a tennis academy and a number of high-spec and high-priced houses - expect this to be a high-octane fight between themselves and the locals as there is big money and strong resistance involved.

The Renton Road on the other hand is a shitty piece of damp real estate on which, for a variety of reasons, only modest homes would ever feature.  And this is where the likes of Rose Harvie, Community Councils, local activists and club supporters like myself who are firmly opposed to Roxit have a part to play.  If there was enough organised and reasoned opposition then I would seriously question why any developer or housebuilder would bust a gut and risk getting ensnared in a drawn-out legal process when there are plenty of alternative locations elsewhere.

And that's before we start to consider the financials and the (interlinked) ability of Brabco to take this proposal to a conclusion.  At some point the Powerpoint love-bombing will spill over into hard reality and everyone better realise the potential risks that are involved; bitter football history of a Clydebank sort tells us that when semi-detached businessmen get involved the outcome can be traumatic - we need to ensure that DFC doesn't sleep-walk into problems for the lack of rigour and scrutiny on the part of the locals.

Invariably green belt considerations can be overcome if the business group has deep enough pockets to afford heavy legal artillery; there is currently a very high profile case under way concerning land use between Dunblane and Bridge of Allan where Judy Murray and a developer are keen to build a tennis academy and a number of high-spec and high-priced houses - expect this to be a high-octane fight between themselves and the locals as there is big money and strong resistance involved.

The Renton Road on the other hand is a shitty piece of damp real estate on which, for a variety of reasons, only modest homes would ever feature.  And this is where the likes of Rose Harvie, Community Councils, local activists and club supporters like myself who are firmly opposed to Roxit have a part to play.  If there was enough organised and reasoned opposition then I would seriously question why any developer or housebuilder would bust a gut and risk getting ensnared in a drawn-out legal process when there are plenty of alternative locations elsewhere.

And that's before we start to consider the financials and the (interlinked) ability of Brabco to take this proposal to a conclusion.  At some point the Powerpoint love-bombing will spill over into hard reality and everyone better realise the potential risks that are involved; bitter football history of a Clydebank sort tells us that when semi-detached businessmen get involved the outcome can be traumatic - we need to ensure that DFC doesn't sleep-walk into problems for the lack of rigour and scrutiny on the part of the locals.

Roxit. Excellent.

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

When you say alternative locations do you mean for houses or a football stadium?

Sorry to interrupt with something not about stadiums but wanted an opinion on this. 

Screenshot_20161101-152359.png

I'd be happy enough with that.

I'd be massively surprised if it happened but if it allowed us to free up both wages and offload two duffers then I'm all for it.

Edited to add: I seen Jordan McMillan at our game again on Saturday. I assumed it was because we were playing the Pars but perhaps if Pettigrew is being offloaded we could be lining him up.