Sons' sorrow

19 minutes ago, lionel wickson said:

Yes, apart from the opening 5 minutes or so, that Montrose game was a shambles. I don't blame you for getting the venue wrong, when watching Sons on Pixellot this season one performance very much blends into another. Can we break the Groundhog Day cycle tomorrow night? Probably not.

Surely the Sons will get a lift from the inspired performance against the Dons on Saturday. I thought it was a great display from start to finish and ok maybe didn't create many chances but there was enough to be encouraged by?

Like many Sons fans I'd play Omar from the start, he will drive forward and can supply the front two. Looked decent when I saw him at Elgin last season. Wedderburn or Carswell holding.

McAllister was inspired and Wardrop is class at full back. Will Rico start?

Wilson might benefit from having Layne up top with him. Will Duffy go 4-4-2? The goals need to come. Is Layne fit for Montrose tomorrow?

I watched Montrose on Saturday and they had an off day and looked quite frail at the back. 

Both teams I fancy to score and both teams need the 3 points.

15 hours ago, pleslie99 said:

Spot on. This is Duffys doing, not Ramsbottom or anyone else's. Sam has played 3? League games for us, he can't be held responsible for our situation, that theory is laughable.

I wasn't saying he was solely responsible. Only that his error caused a four point swing.

And he hasn't made up for it yet, though arguably he regained us one of those points against Falkirk.

In that context, however, the game vs Aberdeen is irrelevant.

10 hours ago, rockson said:

I wasn't saying he was solely responsible. Only that his error caused a four point swing.

And he hasn't made up for it yet, though arguably he regained us one of those points against Falkirk.

In that context, however, the game vs Aberdeen is irrelevant.

You kind of did, you said that 1 mistake could be what relegates us, if that's not solely blaming him for the situation then I don't know what is. He made a mistake, as do all players, he's redeemed himself in subsequent games. 1 mistake won't be what relegates us, regardless of who it was against. The fact we've been utter Shite over the shortened season will relegate us.

15 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

You kind of did, you said that 1 mistake could be what relegates us, if that's not solely blaming him for the situation then I don't know what is. He made a mistake, as do all players, he's redeemed himself in subsequent games. 1 mistake won't be what relegates us, regardless of who it was against. The fact we've been utter Shite over the shortened season will relegate us.

Not against you P, but on that theme, people should stop harking back to the fact that Liam Burt didn't take the ball into the corner v Alloa.

19 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Possibly one to waste an afternoon for @Jan Vojáček - how many players has Duffy signed in his time with us who have subsequently left us before their contract was due to end?

Oaft. A few strands to this. Think this right though...

Players who left under Duffy despite being under contract who he didn't sign:

- Brad Spence, Jamie McGowan, Andy Little, Andy Dowie, Rory Loy.

Then players who left mid-season who he did sign, but who were out of contract...

- Jordan McMillan, Conor Scullion, Donald Morrison.

And finally players who left mid-season but were under contract.

- Mati Zata (left after lockdown but before the season ended), Denny Johnstone, Matthew Reilly, Stefan McCluskey, Chris Smith.

1 minute ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Then players who left mid-season who he did sign, but who were out of contract...

- Mati Zata (left after lockdown but before the season ended), Denny Johnstone, Matthew Reilly, Stefan McCluskey, Chris Smith.

Cheers, I actually thought Donald Morrison was released before his contract was up but fair enough if not. Looking at your final list there though, that's 4 of this seasons squad been signed in the summer and released before the season is out. You really would've thought it was difficult to out-do our shockingly bad summer in Duffy's first full season in charge what with the exit-trial fiasco, but Duffy has gone and managed it this year. 

3 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

What was the story with Spencer at Dumbarton? Did he not show enough in his appearances? Or did Duffy just not fancy him? He’s been a really good signing for us. 

1 minute ago, George Parr said:

My guess is Jim Chapman will ask Jan to hold his beer on that question. Felt like that c**t had a new signing in for every other game.

He was fond of bringing in unattached / Junior trialists mid season for the 3 games they were allowed to play back then as well.